DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies that are pure fun? (especially during times of crisis) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650264-movies-pure-fun-especially-during-times-crisis.html)

OldBoy 04-10-20 07:16 PM

Movies that are pure fun? (especially during times of crisis)

Especially during this time we all need to recommendations and the reasons why. But, what, in your honest opinion, is just pure fun throughout?

i think my go to would be 40 Year-Old Virgin. But know so many pure of all different genres that is just pure fun. Knives Out of late would definitely rank up there. Ready or Not...

TheMovieman 04-10-20 07:22 PM

re: Movies that are pure fun? (especially during times of crisis)

My go-to comedy: Quick Change.

GoldenJCJ 04-10-20 08:23 PM

Re: Movies that are pure fun? (especially during times of crisis)

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 13721580)
My go-to comedy: Quick Change.

I have a soft spot for Quick Change. The evening of my dad’s funeral, after everyone had left and I was feeling sad at home, I stumbled on Quick Change as I was channel surfing and was able to laugh for the first time in weeks. It got me through a pretty shitty day. :up:

Dan 04-10-20 08:29 PM

All The Gods In The Sky.
It's quite a romp.

Decker 04-10-20 08:37 PM

Midnight Run. Love that flick.

Neitzl 04-10-20 08:56 PM

Bring it on. Such a terribly fun movie.
Clueless. Just damn fun. The side characters are so great.

OldBoy 04-10-20 09:12 PM

Also, could watch Bridesmaids over and over...

davidlynchfan 04-10-20 09:23 PM

What’s up doc?
The Whoopee Boys

The Cow 04-10-20 09:32 PM

Murder By Death
Clue
Princess Bride

OldBoy 04-10-20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13721649)
Murder By Death

I just got this one. Shout Select, I think. Fun movie?

Goonies85 04-10-20 10:09 PM

Arachnophobia - Have watched this like three times since self-isolating. Fun and suspenseful movie...One of those ones I can just watch even in the background while I'm cooking, as I've seen it sooooo many times. Jeff Daniels did a great job, but John Goodman almost steals the movie...His portrayal of the exterminator is just hilarious...And hell, some people complain about the beginning of the film being slow, but I feel it's well-done and essential to the plot, and the scenery is really awesome...

Aliens - Just a nice distraction. Might be a bit of a downer to some, but the action is so intense and it really passes the time...Everytime I watch it I watch the Director's Cut and despite it's length, it just seems to fly by...

Romancing the Stone - Fun Zemeckis movie, I probably like this one even more than his awesome Back to the Future...The chemistry between the two leads is great, and my god do I like the location shooting and whatnot...

Hot Tub Time Machine - Love Cusack in this, along with Robinson and Corddry, and love the awesome '80s soundtrack. This one has only grown on me over the course of many years...Always find myself tuning in when I catch it on TV, and the Blu-Ray has gotten lots and lots of views...Only part I think was wasted was Chevy Chase; still not sure why they had him in the movie when his role was extremely limited and not really funny. Side note: Loved Crispin Glover in this, and kind of wish he did more comedic work. He's hilarious and his storyline is one of the strongest parts of the movie...

Transformers: The Movie - The cartoon one, not the s****y Michael Bay one. Still love the killer soundtrack, and will often put the vinyl on the record player and listen to it while I read or cook. Just a fun movie with some excellent animation and direction...Loved the interaction between Spike and HotRod...And Unicron is a badass villain...

Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men - Two more comedic staples. Have watched these so many times they can just go on in the background and I still find myself chuckling throughout...I actually might slightly prefer the sequel, as Burgess Meredith has some great, great lines...

Dante's Peak - Really fun disaster movie, with great turns by Pierce and Hamilton. That said, I usually skip the opening chapter as it's pretty dour...The rest of the movie is a great distraction, though...

Sudden Death - Van Damme. "Die Hard" in a hockey arena. Especially fun to watch given that there's no hockey right now, so seeing some of those Blackhawks/Penguins sequences is a lot of fun...Although I still have found my hockey kick by playing quite a bit of NHL '94 for the SNES (I finally modded my Classic, and added probably 50+ games...One of the worst of which is Home Improvement; always wanted to play the game cause I'm a giant fan of the TV series but man, this game is pretty brutal. Funny, apparently the original came with an "instruction book" that basically said, "really men don't need instructions.").

A Goofy Movie - Only available on DVD, I believe, this one holds up really well. I actually like the cheesy songs in this...A very underrated movie, in my mind...

The Flintstones - Another I rewatched recently. Not sure why this one is somewhat critically-maligned...I always loved it, especially Goodman and Perkins, but Moranis and even O'Donnell are equally good. Kyle MacLachlan and Halle Berry were also good in their roles, and it was pretty awesome seeing the B52s just crush it in the club scene...I also think the effects hold up really well, and the town's production design is amazing...Really fun movie to watch.

I guess I'd add The Guest (cool movie with an '80s vibe, and Dan Stevens and Maika Monroe are all sorts of awesome; the bar scene in particular is a standout, which is paired with a great score), maybe A Cabin in the Woods (that's a lot of fun, especially on repeat viewings), and probably the first two Evil Dead films...those always offer a good time...

redtornado 04-10-20 10:14 PM

Back to the Future

Groundhog Day

tommyp007 04-10-20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13721649)
Murder By Death
Clue
Princess Bride

excellent!

Troy Stiffler 04-10-20 10:48 PM

Die Hard 3. It plays like a good album. Great Movie, editing, music.

Michael Corvin 04-10-20 10:53 PM

I've broken out some old comedies to show my kiddos. Just some stuff they haven't seen before as I've exposed them to most of the popular stuff already.

Bedazzled: Broke out the DVD for this one. I didn't realize it was on Netflix. This was a mixed bag. It still has some some pretty funny moments and Liz Hurley is sexy as hell as Lucifer but it hasn't aged too well. Kiddos were lukewarm on this one. The sensitive guy and NBA ("we gave 110%" and "we played real good") scenes still play very well.

Naked Gun: I enjoyed rewatching this quite a bit. I hadn't seen it probably since it came out. Tons of one liners, subtle jokes and sight gags that just fly by if you aren't paying attention. My girls however, were not impressed...at all. I wouldn't say they hated it but they clearly did not enjoy it. About the only thing they both truly laughed at was all the physical humor with OJ Simpson/Nordberg... which I have to admit, is still pretty damn funny.

Rat Race: Just a fun zany movie with plenty of laughs. The kiddos were hesitant but it won them over. I was gonna say it has a similar sense of humor as Naked Gun so I had to go look it up... and what do ya know, it's a Zucker movie. I had no idea.

I think we're gonna tackle Evolution next.

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13721670)
A Goofy Movie - Only available on DVD, I believe, this one holds up really well. I actually like the cheesy songs in this...A very underrated movie, in my mind...

It's on Disney+. They actually celebrated the 25th anniversary tonight by having a watch party and an interview/Q&A with the cast & filmmakers on Instagram.

Goonies85 04-10-20 11:05 PM

It's on Disney+. They actually celebrated the 25th anniversary tonight by having a watch party and an interview/Q&A with the cast & filmmakers on Instagram.[/QUOTE]

Had no idea. That's pretty sweet. Wish I heard about that beforehand...I'll try to check out and see if there were any highlights recorded...

Goonies85 04-10-20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13721700)
Die Hard 3. It plays like a good album. Great Movie, editing, music.

Fun movie. Liked watching Sam Jackson aka "Zeus" interact with John McClane...And I thought Jeremy Irons was fun as the villain...The commentary on the Blu-Ray is actually pretty good, too, and worth checking out if you have the time...

Daytripper 04-10-20 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Neitzl (Post 13721624)
Clueless. Just damn fun. The side characters are so great.

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13721638)
Also, could watch Bridesmaids over and over...

"Clueless" was the first movie that immediately came to mind. It's such a joy to watch. "Bridesmaids" still makes me laugh. Other pure fun films at the top of my head: "Hairspray" (2007), "Sixteen Candles", "The Lego Movie", "Back to the Future", "Sing Street", "Toy Story", "La La Land", "Pitch Perfect", "School of Rock", "Paddington 2", "Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again", "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" and "The Emperor's New Groove"

Hazel Motes 04-10-20 11:38 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...3fcef88c4d.jpg

Goonies85 04-11-20 12:34 AM

Captain Ron is a blast, especially if you're a fan of Kurt Russell...Still wish they'd make a sequel to this but I know, given it's poor box office and critical reception, that'll never happen...But one can hope...

And Tommy Boy...you'd almost have to be inhuman to not like this movie...A perfect comedy that I can't think of anyone I know doesn't not love...Just the perfect Chris Farley vehicle, ably assisted by vintage David Spade...

davidh777 04-11-20 02:01 AM

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle

zyzzle 04-11-20 02:42 AM

NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION series. Yes, all of them!
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
THE SWARM / WHEN TIME RAN OUT cheesy fun!

THE PLAGUE (1992) / OMEGA MAN (1971) / THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (1964) / SOYLENT GREEN (1973)!!!
MONDO CANE (1962)

Ah... just kidding about those last ones.

Original Desmond 04-11-20 03:50 AM

Back to the Future

Grease

Dirty Dancing

Rocky

Raiders of the lost arc

Ghostbusters

PatD 04-11-20 05:09 AM

This movie rarely if ever gets any love, but it's a smile-getter!

rw2516 04-11-20 05:09 AM

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World