DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies that are pure fun? (especially during times of crisis) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650264-movies-pure-fun-especially-during-times-crisis.html)

DeanoBKN 04-11-20 01:18 PM

Re: Movies that are pure fun? (especially during times of crisis)

Since we have no MLB for the foreseeable future, I think I might watch Major League tonight.

asianxcore 04-11-20 01:42 PM

Robin Hood: Men In Tights (1993)

OldBoy 04-11-20 03:09 PM

where's my head...

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8c8f61290e.jpg

OldBoy 04-11-20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by DeanoBKN (Post 13721915)
Since we have no MLB for the foreseeable future, I think I might watch Major League tonight.

i just saw the end of that the other day. gets me every time. great Randy Newman music, the songs, it all was a great movie and still holds up today...

majorjoe23 04-11-20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13721964)

I’d put Hot Fuzz more into the pure fun category than Shaun. The scene with his mom is legitimately heartbreaking.

This is Spinal Tap is my pick.

Norm de Plume 04-11-20 05:15 PM

I find Road House endlessly rewatchable entertainment.

OldBoy 04-11-20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13721990)
I’d put Hot Fuzz more into the pure fun category than Shaun. The scene with his mom is legitimately heartbreaking.

Yeah, there’s some emotion, but still. I was never a huge fan of the sophomore effort by the trio and certainly didn’t like At Worlds End. I have to give it another try though...

OldBoy 04-11-20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13721752)
Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle

I’m watching this in 3D tonight...

Draven 04-11-20 08:50 PM

We settled on Clue for family movie tonight. It never fails to make me laugh. And it’s the first time for our teenage children to see it.

MLBFan24 04-11-20 09:07 PM

I’ve always enjoyed watching “Cellular”, starring Chris Evans pre-MCU days.

I have the DVD and it’s probably one of my most watched DVDs. It’s just a fun watch.

TomOpus 04-11-20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13722086)
We settled on Clue for family movie tonight. It never fails to make me laugh. And it’s the first time for our teenage children to see it.

I watched it the other night on one of my streaming services (I think Prime?). Not only great casting but I love the script.

Drexl 04-12-20 10:25 AM

Walk Hard

Draven 04-12-20 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13722107)
I watched it the other night on one of my streaming services (I think Prime?). Not only great casting but I love the script.

Yep. The dialogue is fantastic. And it’s also a really fun whodunit.

JeremyM 04-12-20 11:36 AM

Dumb and Dumber.

dvdjunkie32 04-13-20 08:24 AM

A pure fun movie that I completely forgot about is Nothing to Lose starring Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence.

And the spider scene is still one of the funniest movie moments for me. There's a spider on your head lol

IDrinkMolson 04-13-20 08:31 AM

Smokey and the Bandit
Caddyshack
The Great Race
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Pink Panther movies (Peter Sellers)

Troy Stiffler 04-13-20 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13722679)
Smokey and the Bandit
Caddyshack
The Great Race
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles

Is it me and my age? Or do movies like this not exist anymore? It’s been a long time since I felt as good after a movie like these ended.

Noonan 04-13-20 09:04 AM

Dazed and Confused
Clue
Caddyshack
Back to School
Into the Spiderverse
Super Troopers

IDrinkMolson 04-13-20 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13722696)
Is it me and my age? Or do movies like this not exist anymore? It’s been a long time since I felt as good after a movie like these ended.

Yeah, they are far and few in between nowadays. I probably watch Smokey, and Caddyshack once a year and the others quite often.

But your reply reminded me of a recent one I thought was hysterical throughout, Superbad.

We have friends that stay with us 2 weekends a year. And their son now loves Smokey also from watching it here. Last year, we were going through movies, and my friend says put Caddyshack on. I wasn't sure about that, so I asked him if he was sure. Friend says, oh yeah he's seen it a bunch of times. Then the tits come out and in walks the mom... what the hell are you watching?! lol. He's only seen it on TV with commercials. :lol: Ooopsie.

TheMovieman 04-13-20 11:31 AM

Also would add The Cannonball Run. Probably will be watching this one tonight.

OldBoy 04-13-20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13722679)
Smokey and the Bandit
Caddyshack
The Great Race
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles

all great, but Caddyshack on so much, especially AMC. could watch that all day. just wish tv didn't neuter. still have to see from beginning to end again...

Goonies85 04-13-20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13722821)
all great, but Caddyshack on so much, especially AMC. could watch that all day. just wish tv didn't neuter. still have to see from beginning to e.nd again...

Love Caddyshack. I have a giant framed poster signed by Michael O'Keefe (the caddy)...One of my most treasured possessions...Unfortunately most people who look at it are like, "who the hell is Michael O'Keefe?" Sigh...But an awesome movie...Love watching the scene where Chevy Chase interatcts with Bill Murray...

IBJoel 04-13-20 12:41 PM

I vote for the Naked Gun movies. I rewatched them a few months ago and they surprisingly hold up very well ( if you share that sense of humor). Only groaners were a bit about a "supervillain" meeting and the reveal of a transgender character at the end of the 3rd one.

Paff 04-14-20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13721990)

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13722018)
Yeah, there’s some emotion, but still. I was never a huge fan of the sophomore effort by the trio and certainly didn’t like At Worlds End. I have to give it another try though...

Do you have the Blu Ray? If so, watch it with the commentary. Edgar Wright and Quentin Tarantino. They don't even talk about Hot Fuzz. They just shoot the shit about movies for two hours.

OldBoy 04-14-20 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13722834)
Love Caddyshack. I have a giant framed poster signed by Michael O'Keefe (the caddy)...One of my most treasured possessions...Unfortunately most people who look at it are like, "who the hell is Michael O'Keefe?" Sigh...But an awesome movie...Love watching the scene where Chevy Chase interatcts with Bill Murray...

i've always known O'Keefe when he pops up here and there in tv or whatever. that's awesome that you have. i sure would know him. he looks exactly the same. i think he did an ep on West Wing...