DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Who was the perfect director for a film they made? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650134-who-perfect-director-film-they-made.html)

OldBoy 03-24-20 07:48 PM

Who was the perfect director for a film they made?

I guess what I’m asking is, who could only direct a certain movie you either love or hated.

I look at MCU films and the ones the Russo Bro’s. directed are among the best in series, especially last 2 Avengers. I don’t think anyone else could do those so well. I know many more fit the bill, but they have a style that makes their particular films better and imo highly rewatchable. And they really weren’t anyone till Winter Soldier.

I know Spielberg films will be up there, but who else could have only made certain films?

Hazel Motes 03-24-20 07:51 PM

Re: Who was the perfect director for a film they made?

Every film David Lynch and Werner Herzog ever made.

andicus 03-24-20 08:38 PM

Guy Ritchie for Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, as well as Snatch.

dex14 03-24-20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13711396)
Guy Ritchie for Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, as well as Snatch.

Basically any writer/director.

E Unit 03-24-20 08:45 PM

No, Ritchie built his own style with those movies. I can't see a lot of director's being able to put the touches Ritchie did.

Wes Anderson movies are solely his. No other director does that style.

andicus 03-24-20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13711402)
No, Ritchie built his own style with those movies. I can't see a lot of director's being able to put the touches Ritchie did.

Agreed. Ridiculous to state otherwise, especially considering that he also wrote them.

*edit* and re-reading it, I think we both misunderstood what Dex was saying.

I believe he's stating that anyone that writes and directs a film could fall under this category.

E Unit 03-24-20 09:00 PM

Ah, misread as well. So I guess the opposite of this thread would be "who was the wrong director for material he/she wrote and directed?" I'll go with Stephen King and Maximum Overdrive.

dex14 03-24-20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13711415)
Agreed. Ridiculous to state otherwise, especially considering that he also wrote them.

*edit* and re-reading it, I think we both misunderstood what Dex was saying.

I believe he's stating that anyone that writes and directs a film could fall under this category.

Correct.
Tarantino
PTA
Coens
etc.

Crocker Jarmen 03-24-20 09:04 PM

A lot of documentaries come to mind. Like Terry Zwigoff's long friendship with Robert Crumb meant that only he could have been able to make Crumb.

EddieMoney 03-24-20 09:47 PM

David Lynch - Blue Velvet

TomOpus 03-25-20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13711402)

First director that came to mind. You can look at a single frame and know it's a Wes Anderson movie.

devilshalo 03-25-20 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13711421)
Correct.
Tarantino
PTA
Coens
etc.

A part of me thinks PTA and Nolan could swap scripts and shoot films that come out very similar.

GoldenJCJ 03-25-20 12:27 PM

To keep the thread somewhat interesting and not just listing all unique director’s filmographies I’ll say:

Pulp Fiction - Tarantino

Blackkklansman - Spike Lee

those are the first two that popped into my head.

Jason Bovberg 03-25-20 04:07 PM

David Fincher - SE7EN

stvn1974 03-25-20 04:21 PM

Another vote for Lynch. I can't imagine Eraserhead coming out of anyone else's brain.

E Unit 03-25-20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13711789)
To keep the thread somewhat interesting and not just listing all unique director’s filmographies I’ll say:

Pulp Fiction - Tarantino

Blackkklansman - Spike Lee

those are the first two that popped into my head.

Although when I watched Pulp Fiction, I noticed he used a lot of Woody Allen shots, like characters talking with the camera down the hall. That’s an Allen signature shot.

PhantomStranger 03-25-20 05:15 PM

Nolan's The Prestige. If you didn't know, a lot of the magic metaphors playing out in the movie represent his personal philosophy on filmmaking.

Why So Blu? 03-25-20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13711937)
Although when I watched Pulp Fiction, I noticed he used a lot of Woody Allen shots, like characters talking with the camera down the hall. That’s an Allen signature shot.

In addition to Scorsese and John Carpenter. QT loves Assault on Precinct 13 due to its deliberate pace and cinematography, etc.

Mike86 03-25-20 06:30 PM

I feel like this question should really only apply in certain cases. I mean films that were written and directed by the same person are going to be the perfect film for that director because it’s their idea and they’re seeing it through.

The question would make more sense in situations where it’s a director hired for a job or tasked with a film and did an exceptionally good job.

OldBoy 03-25-20 06:40 PM

Sergio Leone’s The Good, the Bad the Ugly. Arguably the best of the trilogy and up there with greatest of spaghetti westerns. He is utterly unique and all his westerns have certain style that no one else could replicate. of course he didn’t do much, but it seems that every one is a classic. That’s rare.

Perkinsun Dzees 03-25-20 07:51 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...74f54bfb14.jpg

dex14 03-25-20 08:08 PM

:lol:
Perfect.

Crocker Jarmen 03-25-20 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13711937)

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking of Pulp Fiction directed by Woody Allen. So far a lot of it is working.

rocket1312 03-26-20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13711366)
I look at MCU films and the ones the Russo Bro’s. directed are among the best in series, especially last 2 Avengers. I don’t think anyone else could do those so well. I know many more fit the bill, but they have a style that makes their particular films better and imo highly rewatchable. And they really weren’t anyone till Winter Soldier.

What exactly is the Russos' style? I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm genuinely curious what stands out to you with regard to their direction? I can't say I've spent time studying their films particularly closely, but it seems to me the thing that made the Russos perfect for those movies was their experience in TV and a willingness to do whatever Feige wanted them to do.

devilshalo 03-26-20 02:09 AM

Lau Kar Leung - 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Hazel Motes 03-26-20 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13712194)
What exactly is the Russos' style? I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm genuinely curious what stands out to you with regard to their direction? I can't say I've spent time studying their films particularly closely, but it seems to me the thing that made the Russos perfect for those movies was their experience in TV and a willingness to do whatever Feige wanted them to do.

Thats what I found odd about Oldboy's original post after reading the thread title. The MCU. Really? The director is pretty low on the totem pole for these movies and The Russo Brothers would be the exact opposite example I would put forward in relation to the premise of this thread. 20+ films, and unless I didn't know better, I could have been easily convinced that the same director made them all. There isn't a single thing in any of them that you can easily recognize as being idiosyncratic to a certain director. Every one of them has the same fresh off the assembly line feel to them.

kd5 03-26-20 06:24 AM

The Wachowski's - The Matrix.

Inhumans99 03-26-20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13712213)
Thats what I found odd about Oldboy's original post after reading the thread title. The MCU. Really? The director is pretty low on the totem pole for these movies and The Russo Brothers would be the exact opposite example I would put forward in relation to the premise of this thread. 20+ films, and unless I didn't know better, I could have been easily convinced that the same director made them all. There isn't a single thing in any of them that you can easily recognize as being idiosyncratic to a certain director. Every one of them has the same fresh off the assembly line feel to them.

Rocket, Hazel...if I had to pick an MCU film to highlight how the director seemed to be a perfect fit for the material I would have gone with Joss Whedon and The Avengers. I do not pick this film simply because it was a huge success but rather my question is would it have been the success that it became if Joss Whedon had not worked his magic on things like the movies dialogue? I have no issue with a film being quipy if the quips/one liners are actually fun memorable pieces of dialogue delivered with panache like they were in this film.

Think The Terminator...nothing particularly special about the words I’ll Be Back but hot damn coming out of Arnies mouth the line because an instant classic.

For some reason I keep thinking Hudson from Aliens said the immortal words Let’s Rock but it was Vasquez...two ordinary words but when she says those words and opens up with her weapon...good golly, the film just never lets up from that point forward.

Getting back to MCU films, even if you chose not to pick any of The Avengers films maybe Guardians Of The Galaxy is a perfect example of a film that many folks feel might not have been as wonderful an experience it turned out to be for many filmgoers if anyone but James Gunn directed the film. I certainly feel that it would have been a good but a much different film than it turned out to be if say the Russo brothers or that guy again, Joss Whedon directed the film.

Drexl 03-26-20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13712001)
I feel like this question should really only apply in certain cases. I mean films that were written and directed by the same person are going to be the perfect film for that director because it’s their idea and they’re seeing it through.

The question would make more sense in situations where it’s a director hired for a job or tasked with a film and did an exceptionally good job.

I think it comes down to a director's style being a fit for the source material. One example that immediately came to mind is Tim Burton for Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Although it was his first feature and he perhaps hadn't developed a style yet, looking back he seems like the perfect choice because his twisted sense of humor and visual style fit the character and script so well (especially with Danny Elfman's score!).

davidlynchfan 03-26-20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13712194)

Heavy use of spandex. Cgi galore. Good always trumps evil. Etc..

OldBoy 03-26-20 09:28 PM

The Russos bring the fun and many iconic moments in every one of their films, since WS. There are great lines in all. The action maybe similar across all universe films, but those 4, including Civil War, especially Civil War with its genuine fun and story done right are among most unique, highly rewatchable and best in 23 movie series. Don’t get me wrong, I think Waititi’s Ragnarok is my most fun MCU and look forward to Love and Thunder, but Russo’s 4/4 imo.

johnnysd 03-27-20 12:42 AM

Well we saw Spielberg do a Kubrick script/story and it just pointed out how only Kubrick could do Kubrick. I am not a MCU fan so completely befuddled by the Russo Brothers selection. They seem so generic, more a product than an actual film.

tommyp007 03-27-20 07:50 AM

Spike Lee - Malcolm X

rocket1312 03-27-20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13712863)
The Russos bring the fun and many iconic moments in every one of their films, since WS. There are great lines in all. The action maybe similar across all universe films, but those 4, including Civil War, especially Civil War with its genuine fun and story done right are among most unique, highly rewatchable and best in 23 movie series. Don’t get me wrong, I think Waititi’s Ragnarok is my most fun MCU and look forward to Love and Thunder, but Russo’s 4/4 imo.

So the Russos' style is fun and great lines and a story done right? Got it. Can't see how anyone else could have possibly pulled that off. Are you sure you're not just a big Markus & McFeely fan?

Community is one of my favorite shows of all time, so you won't catch me saying anything bad about them ever, but I'll be very curious to see if they are even remotely successful directors outside the Marvel machine.

TheMovieman 03-27-20 07:45 PM

Michael Mann - Heat (and might even throw in Miami Vice, that one has really grown on me over the years)