DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650042-covid-19-virus-movie-related-news.html)

JeremyM 03-13-20 10:57 AM

Re: COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Seems like a film like New Mutants would actually do better now with no competition rather than saving it for a crowded period.

DaveNinja 03-13-20 11:45 AM

Hopefully Onward will be in theaters for the next month or two since I missed it last weekend.

GoldenJCJ 03-13-20 11:51 AM

I hope the Coronavirus doesn’t affect the shoot of Uncharted. I’d hate to see that well oiled machine get delayed.

Jay G. 03-13-20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13703285)
Stop being logical, Jay.

I get that complaint a lot.

Jay G. 03-13-20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyM (Post 13703314)
Seems like a film like New Mutants would actually do better now with no competition rather than saving it for a crowded period.

On the flip side, if Disney doesn't think people will brave the pandemic to see Mulan, why would they think anyone would risk COVID-19 to see New Mutants?

This is one of those rare situations where the phrase "better than nothing" isn't true. If the choices are "risk COVID-19 to see New Mutants" or "just stay home because there's no other movies out," the latter is likely to win out for most. They'd choose the "nothing" option, because they're choosing their health over seeing a new movie in theaters.

Streaming services are also going to see an uptick in watching, regardless of what they have, because it's the less risk option compared to going out. The new Disney+ film Stargirl is likely to get a lot more views this weekend than it probably otherwise was.

dex14 03-13-20 12:52 PM

Disney is shutting down multiple productions over the coronavirus pandemic.

Those films include The Little Mermaid, which was going to begin shooting in London next week, Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings, Home Alone, The Last Duel, and Nightmare Alley. Peter Pan & Wendy and Shrunk, both in pre-production, are being shut down as well.

JeremyM 03-13-20 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 13703416)
On the flip side, if Disney doesn't think people will brave the pandemic to see Mulan, why would they think anyone would risk COVID-19 to see New Mutants?

This is one of those rare situations where the phrase "better than nothing" isn't true. If the choices are "risk COVID-19 to see New Mutants" or "just stay home because there's no other movies out," the latter is likely to win out for most. They'd choose the "nothing" option, because they're choosing their health over seeing a new movie in theaters.

Streaming services are also going to see an uptick in watching, regardless of what they have, because it's the less risk option compared to going out. The new Disney+ film Stargirl is likely to get a lot more views this weekend than it probably otherwise was.

So far, and it's obviously early, but grosses have followed their normal pattern, more or less. That will change as this thing deepens, obviously, so you are probably right.

dex14 03-13-20 03:31 PM

AMC Theaters and Regal Cinemas are taking steps to protect customers in the wake of the novel coronavirus.

The companies have announced new "social distancing" measures. Starting March 14, AMC says they will reduce how many seats will be sold at any given screening by 50 percent. So in an auditorium with 500 seats, AMC will cap sales at 250 tickets. Regal says they're doing the same.

rw2516 03-13-20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 13703284)
And when the rest of the audience confirms what the other guy claimed?

You are not sick! You are perfectly healthy and some paranoid asshole is accusing you of being sick.

Jay G. 03-13-20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 13703647)
You are not sick! You are perfectly healthy and some paranoid asshole is accusing you of being sick.

Except everyone else heard you coughing, apparently hard enough to chase someone away. So either you're the asshole trying to hide your illness now that an usher is here, risking exposing everyone around you because you selfishly want to see a movie, or you're the asshole who faked being sick, freaking out a bunch of innocent strangers, just because you wouldn't ask a guy to move.

Mr. Flix 03-13-20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 13703411)
I get that complaint a lot.

Do people tell you to stop being so humble too?

Bluelitespecial 03-13-20 08:49 PM

Well I don’t think I’ll stop worrying about not getting to see Braveheart on the big screen until I’m in the theater on the 22nd.

windom 03-13-20 09:40 PM

Disney is putting Frozen 2 on Disney+ this Sunday, 3 months early.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/frozen-...ed-1202883148/

Mabuse 03-13-20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13703858)
Well I don’t think I’ll stop worrying about not getting to see Braveheart on the big screen until I’m in the theater on the 22nd.

This is the most “you” statement ever.

Jay G. 03-13-20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix (Post 13703850)
Do people tell you to stop being so humble too?

GODDAMN humble.

Seriously though, when people tell me to stop being so logical, it's typically because they're annoyed with me. I've been called Spock before. Picture the other person as Bones.

bluetoast 03-13-20 11:12 PM

Couple of the independent theaters in my area are closing for at least a few weeks.

dex14 03-14-20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13703858)

Worrying? :lol:

Bluelitespecial 03-14-20 08:22 AM

I already bought my ticket for the Fathom Events screening on March 22nd and I hope it's not cancelled.

dex14 03-14-20 09:03 AM

Why do you need to worry? You’ll get your money back if it’s cancelled. There’s more important things going on.

Bluelitespecial 03-14-20 09:06 AM

It's a very big deal to me since I was too young in 1995 to see it in theaters. I'm afraid it could be cancelled and not rescheduled.

dex14 03-14-20 09:09 AM

:lol: Afraid? Doesn’t sound like something someone with a lot of T would say!

majorjoe23 03-14-20 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13703974)
Couple of the independent theaters in my area are closing for at least a few weeks.

A local independent theater here just announced its shutting down indefinitely.

JeremyM 03-14-20 02:27 PM

The box office definitely crashed yesterday. The new offerings weren't going to be huge draws, but the holdovers sunk more than normal patterns as well.

Artman 03-14-20 04:00 PM

The stat that jumped out to me was that it will likely be the lowest performing wknd since 98... incredible. That said, I'm hoping to catch Invisible Man and Onward next wk... wknight evenings will most likely have a handful of people...which sounds perfect to me.

DWilson 03-14-20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyM (Post 13704227)
The box office definitely crashed yesterday. The new offerings weren't going to be huge draws, but the holdovers sunk more than normal patterns as well.

I was checking the seating on various shows at a local theater (I'd go through buying tickets online and see what seats were available) and the only film that was regularly drawing a crowd (over ten people) was "I Still Believe", the Christian film; however, for the last show of the night, -around 10 pm, -only one person was in the room.