Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Saint Reboot (D: Liman)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Chris Pratt In Early Talks For ‘The Saint’

https://deadline.com/2018/11/chris-p...ks-1202503720/
Old 11-17-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: Another 'The Saint' Movie; Chris Pratt in Early Talks

I always enjoyed the Val Kilmer version. Yes there are some cliche bits and it hasn’t aged well, but Kilmer did a good job and paired well with Elizabeth Shue. I always wondered why there weren’t more.*

I’d be up for Pratt doing this, but would like to see a serious tone to it. Might be a good opportunity for him to spread his acting away from comedy.

* Looks like it opened #2 after Liar Liar which was still running strong, Did $120M international, which 20 years ago I’d think isn’t too bad.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (11-22-23)
Old 11-17-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

I like Kilmer’s version of The Saint. I like Chris Pratt. I’m not sure I like the idea of Chris Pratt as the Saint.

I would like to see someone more along the lines of say, Sebastian Stan.
Old 11-17-18, 09:31 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

i do like the Kilmer movie too, but i think Pratt could pull just about anything off and can see this being good if done right...
Old 11-17-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be cool if they ever release the original cut of the Saint with the palace fight finale.
Old 11-17-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i do like the Kilmer movie too, but i think Pratt could pull just about anything off and can see this being good if done right...
Probably. I just get a little annoyed when Hollywood can’t break away from the same half dozen actors/actresses for the lead in every movie.

I get that they want a “name” actor to bring in more money but how many threads have we seen here in the last couple of years that read “...Chris Pratt in talks to star.”? I mean, shit, if Hollywood had its way we’d have the Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers series, Jurassic World series, new Indiana Jones series, and Uncharted. All starring Chris Pratt.
Old 02-18-20, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Saint Reboot (D: Dexter Fletcher)

‘Rocketman’ Filmmaker Dexter Fletcher to Direct ‘The Saint’ Reboot (EXCLUSIVE)

After the success of its Elton John biopic “Rocketman,” Paramount has set filmmaker Dexter Fletcher to direct another high-profile project for the studio.

Fletcher will helm “The Saint,” a reboot of its 1997 action thriller that starred Val Kilmer. The globe-trotting adventure is based on the 1920s novel series written by Leslie Charteris.

Seth Grahame-Smith wrote the script for “The Saint,” while Lorenzo Di Bonaventura (“Transformers,” “G.I. Joe) is producing along with Brad Krevoy and the late Robert Evans, posthumously.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/p...ot-1203505890/
Old 02-18-20, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Saint Reboot (D: Liman)

Wish the 1997 version was available on Blu-ray. Fun little flick.
Old 02-18-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by valkyrie
Wish the 1997 version was available on Blu-ray. Fun little flick.
Yeah, and if this one ever happens, maybe they'll release it...

As a side, I don't even remember starting this thread when Chris Pratt was rumored
Old 02-19-20, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Superman07
I always enjoyed the Val Kilmer version. Yes there are some cliche bits and it hasn’t aged well, but Kilmer did a good job and paired well with Elizabeth Shue. I always wondered why there weren’t more.*

I’d be up for Pratt doing this, but would like to see a serious tone to it. Might be a good opportunity for him to spread his acting away from comedy.

* Looks like it opened #2 after Liar Liar which was still running strong, Did $120M international, which 20 years ago I’d think isn’t too bad.
Id wondered the same thing and looked up that info a few years ago. I just figured Liar Liar was so big it dwarfed The Saint. Plus, I’m not sure it received high praise.

Originally Posted by gmanca
It would be cool if they ever release the original cut of the Saint with the palace fight finale.
What's this palace fight you speak of?!
Old 02-19-20, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 214 Posts

The Kilmer version was entertaining but it just didn't generate any buzz or appetite for more. It needed to come out of it saying "Val Kilmer is 'The Saint'!" but I don't the film created "The Saint" as an identifiable commodity that offered a specific experience. Why is he "The Saint", -we know what makes Bond "Bond" and what makes Lara Croft "Tomb Raider", but what's with Simon Templar. I don't recall, -did the movie explain why he's called "The Saint" or refer to him as that?
Old 02-19-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What's this palace fight you speak of?!
if you watch this trailer at about 1 minute, you’ll see Kilmer hanging onto a ledge, this would have been during the alternate ending palace fight.

To tie into the question of Why he is the saint, the alternate ending would have dealt with Shue dying and Kilmer becoming the Saint because of her. That went away with her staying alive and not adding a new reason to be the Saint.
Old 02-19-20, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some interesting history on the Kilmer film, including film and book endings that both differ: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_(1997_film).

Maybe the new one could do a rework/cover of Sneaker Pimps.

Old 02-20-20, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
YES!!!!! I remember seeing some shots of the scene way back when in an issue of Empire. Shue dies in that cut and i would love to see it.

I have always enjoyed the KIlmer version of the Saint, but it is flawed. His Saint is kinda sloppy at times and he is not great in fights (which i guess does make it more interesting), but i think its lacking in having a decent couple of set pieces more than it has.
Old 04-21-20, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris Pine to Star in ‘The Saint’ Reboot for Paramount (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/c...nt-1234585628/
Old 07-27-21, 02:13 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Following the news that he would not be returning for the second season of Bridgerton, Regé-Jean Page looks to have found his first major starring role since his breakout part in the Netflix series. Sources tell Deadline that Page will star in and executive produce a new, reimagined version of The Saint for Paramount Pictures.

Lorenzo DiBonaventura, Brad Krevoy and Mark Vahradian will produce, with Kwame Kwei-Armah penning the script. The late Robert Evans, who produced Paramount’s 1997 movie adaption starring Val Kilmer, will also get a producer credit.

Based in part on Leslie Charteris’ 1920s book series and subsequent 1960s UK TV series starring Roger Moore, The Saint follows Simon Templar, better known as The Saint, a Robin Hood-esque criminal and thief for hire who goes on a globetrotting adventure. While plot details for this pic are being kept under wraps, insiders say this will be a completely new take that reimagines the character and world around him.

It remains unclear at this stage of development if Dexter Fletcher, who is currently directing and executive producing Paramount TV Studios’ The Offer for Paramount+, will direct this new, reimagined version of The Saint.

Paramount’s Motion Picture Group president Emma Watts has been high on Page for some time following his breakout role on Bridgerton, even recently casting him alongside Chris Pine in its untitled Dungeons and Dragons movie. After his exit from the Shondaland series she and other execs moved quickly to find the right project for Page, and those close to the actor said The Saint quickly rose to the top of his list of Paramount projects he wanted to tackle.

Besides Bridgerton, which just earned Page a Best Actor in a Drama Series Emmy nomination, he recently wrapped production on the Netflix film The Gray Man opposite Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans. He is repped by CAA, Mosaic, The Artists Partnership and attorney Greg Slewett.

Kwei-Armah’s credits include the Spike Lee musical All Rise, Liberty Road and Marked Man for Amazon. Also a playwright, his plays have won him the best Newcomer on the West as well as the prestigious Peggy Ramsey Award, and he currently serves as artistic director for The Young Vic in London. He is repped by CAA, Redefine Entertianment, and Lichter Grossman Nichols & Adler.
https://deadline.com/2021/07/bridger...nt-1234800662/
Old 07-27-21, 04:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Is it still Chris Pines? Or should they sub in another Chris? Seems like they’re the only choices for anything these days.
Old 11-20-23, 01:34 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount’s highly-anticipated The Saint reimagining is gaining some serious momentum as sources tell Deadline Doug Liman is attached to direct and oversee the development of the film. Regé-Jean Page will exec produce and star in the pic. Lorenzo DiBonaventura and Brad Krevoy will produce as will the late Robert Evans, who will produce posthumously.

Plot details are being kept under wraps and Rory Haines and Sohrab Noshirvani are writing the script.

Based in part on Leslie Charteris’ 1920s book series and subsequent 1960s UK TV series starring Roger Moore, The Saint follows Simon Templar, better known as The Saint, a Robin Hood-esque criminal and thief for hire who goes on a globetrotting adventure. While plot details for this pic are being kept under wraps, insiders say this will be a completely new take that reimagines the character and world around him.
https://deadline.com/2023/11/doug-li...ge-1235630104/
Old 11-22-23, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 416 Likes on 333 Posts
Re: The Saint Reboot (D: Liman)

Robert Evans, who will produce posthumously
That's what I call dedication.
Old 11-22-23, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts
Re: The Saint Reboot (D: Liman)

Originally Posted by Runaway
That's what I call dedication.
The kid stays in the picture.
Old 11-22-23, 04:29 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

I too enjoyed Val Kilmer and always meant to see it again.