Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Bambi -- Live Action Remake

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

'Bambi' Remake in the Works With 'Captain Marvel', 'Chaos Walking' Writers (Exclusive)

Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Lindsey Beer will pen the adaptation of the 1942 animated Disney classic.

The young prince is returning to the forest.

In the latest move to turn its animated classics into live-action features, Disney has set its sights on one of its most storied: Bambi.

The studio has hired Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel, Tomb Raider) and Lindsey Beer (Sierra Burgess Is a Loser, Chaos Walking) to pen the screenplay for the live-action remake.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-works-1272457
Old 01-24-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
re: Disney's Bambi -- Live Action Remake

Oh for fuck's sake.
The following 4 users liked this post by The Valeyard:
IBJoel (01-24-20), milo bloom (01-24-20), Spiderbite (06-13-23), tanman (01-25-20)
Old 01-24-20, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1,075 Likes on 625 Posts

No no, that's quite alright.
Spoiler:
But also, kudos to Disney for hiring female writers

Old 01-24-20, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Not surprising. They’re going to keep doing these til they run out, and even then they’ll probably develop some sequels. I’ve yet to see any of the live action Disney remakes so far. Just not that interested.
Old 01-24-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Disney will keep making live action versions of animated classics until they start bombing. Evidence is that isn't going to happen anytime soon. The days of Disney coming up with original concepts is long gone. This is why their 20th Century Fox acquisition should be concerning...will they just want to reboot/re-imagine old hits?
Old 01-24-20, 03:46 PM

Received 4,649 Likes on 3,146 Posts

This is too much.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
IBJoel (01-24-20), TheMovieman (01-24-20)
Old 01-24-20, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

More unemotive animals like The Lion King?
I mean, they completely ignored the fact that animals do have animations and are capable of physically expressing them.
Old 01-24-20, 04:49 PM

Old 01-24-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,317 Likes on 4,318 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
More unemotive animals like The Lion King?
This is completely different. I, for one, am really looking forward to watching the modern-day re-imagining of a beloved animated classic -- creating a CGI photo-realistic wild animal protagonist coming to grips with his parent's shocking and untimely death.
Old 01-24-20, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm waiting for the CGI remakes of the CGI remakes of the cartoons in another 20 years' time.
Old 01-24-20, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I'm holding out for the VR DNA-swap version.
Old 01-24-20, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Oh for fuck's sake.
Took the words right out of my mouth. And I quote David Spade from his late night show earlier this week: "National Treasure 3"' and "Bad Boys 4" are in the works. Meanwhile, the new ideas department in Hollywood has been let go.
Old 01-25-20, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Ugh...
Old 01-25-20, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 210 Posts

And now I’m finally realizing this trend is basically a retooled version of what they did in the 90s with the countless direct to video sequels.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (01-26-20)
Old 01-25-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Oh for fuck's sake.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-25-20, 10:17 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
And now I’m finally realizing this trend is basically a retooled version of what they did in the 90s with the countless direct to video sequels.
Yes, except instead of just selling home videos to moms and dads with kids they’ve convinced blockbuster audiences to make these warmed over turds into huge hits.
The following users liked this post:
TheMovieman (01-25-20)
Old 06-13-23, 03:34 PM

Re: Disney's Bambi -- Live Action Remake

Uh... ok...

EXCLUSIVE: After winning the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for Women Talking, Sarah Polley is on to the most epic undertaking of her filmmaking career thus far, as Deadline understands that the filmmaker is in talks to helm a live-action take on Bambi in very early development at Disney.

Multiple sources tell Deadline that the project is a musical to feature music from six-time Grammy-winning country star Kacey Musgraves. Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster (Transparent) wrote the most recent draft of the script, and Chris and Paul Weitz’s Depth of Field will produce.

The studio first signaled its intention to adapt Bambi for live-action back in early 2020, bringing Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Lindsey Beer aboard as writers and Depth of Field to produce in January of that year. No word yet on when the project might be put in motion, given unpredictable strike conditions, for starters.

The film is of course the coming-of-age story of Bambi, the young deer struck by tragedy who counts amongst his woodland pals — the rabbit Thumper and a skunk named Flower. An adaptation of Felix Salten’s 1923 novel Bambi, a Life in the Woods, released by RKO Radio Pictures in 1942, the original Bambi was just the fifth animated feature ever to emerge from Disney. The film helmed by David Hand and assorted sequence directors grossed over $267M worldwide, landed Academy Award nominations for Best Sound, Song and Original Music Score, and has endured as a classic over the years, assuredly continuing to traumatize young viewers with its famous depiction of the death of Bambi’s mother to this day.

Pic was entered into the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress, given its cultural, historic and aesthetic significance, in December 2011.

Polley’s take on Bambi will be the latest in a long line of live-action films to adapt Disney’s classic animated features. The most recent installment in this series, which has done huge business fo the studio, is the Rob Marshall-helmed The Little Mermaid, which has grossed over $414M since bowing in theaters on May 26th. Polley will certainly be in good company if and when her deal for the project closes, joining a list of directors tapped by Disney for these films that also includes Jon Favreau, Kenneth Branagh, Niki Caro, Guy Ritchie, Tim Burton and Robert Zemeckis, to name only a few.

Polley’s acclaimed ensemble drama Women Talking, based on the novel by Miriam Toews, drew on the real 2010 story of a Bolivian Mennonite colony to examine the impossible choice grappled with by the women of an isolated religious community following numerous incidents of sexual assault by the men they thought they knew. Polley directed the film from her script, seeing it released by United Artists Releasing following its fall bow at Telluride. It also earned her Critics’ Choice and WGA Awards, a Golden Globe nomination and other major accolades.

Other directorial credits for Polley include the WGA Award and Cinema Eye Honors Award-winning documentary Stories We Tell, examining the family of storytellers of which she’s a part, and the acclaimed dramas Take This Waltz and Away from Her. She began her career as an actor, starting out as a child on films like The Adventures of Baron Munchausen before going on to star in titles like Dawn of the Dead, and is represented by WME, GGA in Canada, Circle of Confusion and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.
https://deadline.com/2023/06/bambi-l...or-1235415991/
Old 06-13-23, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 354 Posts

Idris Elba for Bambi or fuck off.
Old 06-14-23, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,261 Likes on 2,098 Posts

I guess if they can do The Lion King in live action they can do Bambi.

Whatever. Makes no Nevermind to me.
Old 06-14-23, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,317 Likes on 4,318 Posts

Well I, for one, eagerly anticipate the upcoming theatrical release of Fauna Talking.
Old 06-14-23, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Is Andy Serkis gonna mocap Bambi?
Old 06-17-23, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

A friend of mine asked if they were going to go back to the original book by Felix Salten. "Like hell," I said. "It's doubtful that anyone involved has thought about even reading the book." Although now that I hear Sarah Polley is attached, there's a good chance that maybe one of them will. Although BAMBI (1942) was largely a serious movie, Disney added all the Disneyfied elements like Thumper. I don't know if Salten ever reacted to Disney's version.

From IMDB Trivia:
The original novel "Bambi, a Life in the Woods" (1923) is not a work intended for children and Walt Disney toned down much of the material. By one description of the novel, it consists of 293 pages packed with blood-and-guts action, sexual conquest and betrayal. The forest characters include cutthroats and miscreants, including six murderers.
For the record, the book was published in 1923 (100 years ago) in Berlin by Austrian author Salten, who died in 1945.

Old 06-19-23, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Hopefully they put the deer fucking back in.