Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your worst or most disappointing movies of 2019

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I don't want to make this an all trashing thread for movies you thought sucked this year. That won't lead to much productive talk. So you can talk about movies that disappointed you as well as you were hoping for good things. Maybe the trailer looked really good to you, but after watching it, it didn't really work for you.

Mine are as follows

Worst:
Black Christmas - I fucking hated this movie.
Captive State - Prime example of how to make an Alien invasion movie boring.
Pet Semetary - Terrible remake
21 Bridges - This is both worst and disappointing.
Countdown - I really hated this movie.
Replicas
Serenity

Disappointing:
Glass
What Men Want
Dragged Across Concrete
Hellboy
The Secret Life of Pets 2
MIB: International
Rambo: Last Blood
Gemini Man
It: Chapter 2
The Aftermath

Last edited by DJariya; 12-31-19 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 04:36 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Re: Your worst or most disappointing movies of 2019

DISAPPOINTING

Annabelle Comes Home - A movie about the Warren's home museum had tremendous potential. And the previous Annabelle movie was really good. This was forgettable.

It: Chapter 2 - Not a bad movie. But I had such high expectations. The first one was an excellent horror movie. This was more of an action movie with a bunch of giant CGI monsters and chase scenes.

Ma - Looked good in the trailer. Octavia Spencer was great. The movie had a really weak ending.

Happy Death Day 2U - Loved the first one. I was expecting a slasher horror. This was more of a comedy sci-fi movie.

Glass - The movie set-up a big payoff and didn't deliver.

WORST

Men In Black: International - Completely forgettable.

Hellboy - I didn't even finish it. Stopped about halfway through.

Angel Has Fallen - I liked the previous two movies. This was weak and felt like a direct-to-video movie.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 12-31-19 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 05:09 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Worst movie I saw this year:

Old 12-31-19, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not saying this just to be contrary or to troll, but the most disappointing films for me this year were El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie and The Irishman.
Old 12-31-19, 09:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

6 Underground - Bay at his worst
MiB International - just not needed
Hellboy - also not needed

I’ll add more as I think of them.
Old 12-31-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

MIB International
Old 12-31-19, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I would say Cats is my worst of the year (and of the decade, for major releases), followed by Joker.

Glass was very disappointing in that I felt it had interesting ideas with poor execution. Endgame also falls in the disappointing pile for being way too safe and fan servicy, same with Rise of Skywalker.

I actually haven't seen much, this year. But I've been catching up with past years' releases.
Old 12-31-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually avoid movies if the reviews are bad so my only disappointments were:

1. Dark Phoenix - It wasn't horrible, but definitely the weakest of the franchise with the First class group.

2. Terminator Dark Fate - really was hoping it would be a return to the excellence that once was James Cameron, but nothing but a retread that disregarded the other sequels and the CGI was somehow less convincing than the 1991 film.

3. El Camino - It didn't feel like a full movie. I just felt unsatisfied when it was over as the plot was shallow. I love Breaking Bad so much but this film was unnecessary.

Last edited by dvdjunkie32; 01-02-20 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

El Camino, Glass, Rise of Skywalker.

Had high expectations for all three and was completely disappointed with all of them.
Old 12-31-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Annabelle Comes Home
6 Underground
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Ma
Crawl
Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark
Old 12-31-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

My least favorites:
Jexi
Brian Banks
Black Christmas

biggest disappointments:
hustlers
glass
crawl
It 2

Last edited by DaveNinja; 12-31-19 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubbub
I'm not saying this just to be contrary or to troll, but the most disappointing films for me this year were El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie and The Irishman.
Not at all,but I have not seen the first movie you listed.
and only watched the first 30 minutes of The Irishman so far and need to get the new pw from my wife for Netflix.Early too say,so far not really impressed with the film.

So far 2019 has been very disappointing for me.
Rise of Skywalker (walked out)
Once Upon a Time... in Ho
llywood ( Going to give this one more viewing,sometimes I need to watch a movie twice before I give a final rating).

Dark Phoenix
Terminator Dark Fate

Last edited by JoeySeven; 12-31-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Disappointed with Us and Midsommar. They weren't bad, but I just expected better from Jordan Peele and Ari Aster.Midsommar
Old 12-31-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
So far 2019 has been very disappointing for me.
Been a very good year, for me. Look at the Top 10 Movie thread. People didn't seem to have trouble creating their lists.
Old 12-31-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I didn’t hate it, but I wanted Glass to be better. That’s probably the main one that stands out.

I might say Terminator: Dark Fate too, although even as a fan of the franchise I wasn’t anticipating it a lot. Another where I didn’t necessarily dislike it, but it ultimately is forgettable and was just another entry in a tired franchise.
Old 12-31-19, 02:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Black and Blue
Old 12-31-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Worst movie I saw this year:

How can you bash something that was directed by Fred Durst?
Old 12-31-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Unbreakable was a great movie and has gotten better with age. It had fans begging for an Unbreakable trilogy for years!

Split was enjoyable and surprised us with part 2 of a trilogy we’d been hoping for and had no idea even existed.

Glass
Spoiler:
Shit all over the trilogy by drowning our hero in a fucking muddy water filled pothole in the middle of a parking lot!

Old 12-31-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I don’t really have any worst off the top of my head, but there were a few disappointments.

1. Glass
I fucking love Unbreakable. It’s a top 20 of all time. I enjoyed Split, but really only because of Mcavoy. I had unreasonably high expectations which I realize is my own fault.

2. It 2
The remake was so good I couldn’t wait to see the adult side. Then we got a bloated, flashback filled snooze fest. It almost makes the first part un-necessary. I plan on revisiting it again soon.
Old 12-31-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Been a very good year, for me. Look at the Top 10 Movie thread. People didn't seem to have trouble creating their lists.
Glad it has been a good year for you and others.i'll admit my movie watching is way down the last few years.
And it has been a slow year for me,haven’t seen many 2019 films outside of superhero films and l usually prefer foreign or independent films over hollyweird movies these days. And the NFL cuts into how many movies I watch a week.
Going off some lists,plan next to watch
Joker,Yesterday(own),Parasite and Booksmart. Oh and I need to finish The Irishman,

WORST
Glass
Hellboy
I kind of liked both of these movies,but I went in with low expectations and would never watch again.
Not the worst or best , but in the middle for me. All though the ending of Glass was the worst.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 12-31-19 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was expecting great things from IT Chapter Two and Once Upon a Time, so I guess those would be disappointing to me. I didn't hate either, but wish I enjoyed them more.
Old 01-01-20, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Glass is both my most disappointing and worst.

Disappointments:

The Dead Don't Die- a director I really like and my favorite actor of all-time and I thought this was a complete waste of time.
Dark Phoenix- this could have been a lot better. It still had quite a few elements I enjoyed. But it was a letdown.
Joker- It was just way to derivative of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy (and Scorsese in general) for me. I liked it some. But its not as good as people made it out to be.
Terminator Dark Fate- I thought Cameron and Hamiltons involvement was going to add up to more than it did. Hopefully it did bad enough B.O wise to permanently shelve this franchise
Old 01-02-20, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Rambo: Last Blood was the worst movie I saw in a theater in 2019. But I didn't see Cats.

Most disappointing:
It: Chapter 2 and Terminator: Dark Fate
Old 01-02-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I didn't see many 2019 releases, but even if I did, The Secret Life of Pets 2 would be the worst of them.
Old 01-02-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Disappointing:
Crawl - I generally expect a lot from Aja, and based on the reviews/the advanced hype/the trailer release, I really expected to be absolutely blown away by this. It was...meh. It was okay...But nothing special...Still can't believe it when I see this movie on some people's Top Ten lists, but to each his own...
Avengers: Endgame - Not a horrible movie by any means, but I just really didn't care much for this. Too much Nebula...Clunky ending...I could go on but I've posted my thoughts on this movie before...I'm just not nearly as much of a fan of this as most people, it seems...
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood - Hey, I still really, really like this movie. But I sooooo wanted to love it...And being a Tarantino fan and thinking the subject matter (when originally announced) was ideal for him to write a movie around, I was pretty disappointed the first time I watched it. It got a little better the second go-around, but I still rank this as probably my least favourite Tarantino movie (aside from Death Proof, of course)...
The Irishman - Another movie I liked but felt could've been sooooo much better. Trim 45 minutes or an hour...Or else just go and make it a miniseries, but don't try to work in between those poles...Also felt, given the subject matter, there were certain other areas involving the characters that they could've delved into but chose not to (and some of the stuff they did delve into, I didn't care for)...It was great seeing such a wonderful cast, and Scorsese remains one of the best directors working, but I almost agree with Bill Simmons take, which was that had Scorsese actually been able to make this at a studio (obviously he would've had to compromise on the budget), he probably would've been somewhat pressured to deliver a more "trim" movie, as opposed to Netflix where it seems like he was given free reign...I never thought that way about Scorsese until I saw this movie...Again, it's still currently in my Top Ten Movies of the year, but going in I thought for sure this would be Top Three, or even the Top Movie of the Year...I'm still amazed about the Award hype this movie is getting, as I really don't feel it's deserved...
The Beach Bum - Hey, man, I still love this movie. I really do. Is it meandering? Yes. Does it seem relatively pointless at times? Yes. But I loved seeing the actors tackle Harmony Korine's crazy off-the-wall script...And I still like the way Harmony directs and edits his movies...BUT. This is so NOT as good as Spring Breakers, which I absolutely friggin love...Spring Breakers is one of my absolute favorite movies (especially Franco's insanely committed performance...But Gucci Mane and all of the four leading female actresses were stellar)...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.