DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: What was your ideal vision for the Sequel Trilogy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/649422-star-wars-what-your-ideal-vision-sequel-trilogy.html)

fujishig 07-02-20 10:35 PM

Re: Star Wars: What was your ideal vision for the Sequel Trilogy?

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13766620)
I think the key issue with the Sequel Trilogy as it exists is that it adds very little of value to what came before. All the films do is poorly retread previous events, and shit on beloved characters. Really if anything the sequels regress the story rather than progress it forward.

Garbage films that shouldn’t have been made. I’m happy to pretend that they’re non-existent. I don’t expect that to be canon, but in my head it’s Episodes I-VI as the Skywalker Saga.

You could say a similar thing for the prequel trilogy. If anything, the Clone Wars cartoon (either of them) added more than the actual films did, with the way they mixed continuity together.

They could use the characters they have from this trilogy (Rey, Finn, Poe) and go in a new direction with them with future stories but it sounds like most of the actors are done with this for now.

IBJoel 07-03-20 10:10 AM

I actually like most of the ideas we got and rather am bothered by the disjointed execution. The rise of a radical successor to the Empire? Pretty neat. The older generation either running, hermiting, or still fighting because the post-War period ended up badly? Good idea. A new generation with varying identity issues and not knowing who they're going to end up as? I'm all in. Personally, I think Johnson had the best understanding of the underpinnings of Lucas' psychology when writing the OT, even if the execution was not flawless in every respect. Most definitely his vision of The Force is the most consistent with Yoda's monologue in Empire.

I think rather than a "plot" plan, there should have been a "theme plan". "What are the ideas we want to explore? What are the questions we want to ask?"

So the OT was based on WWII. Base the sequels on the Cold War or the early 2000s/War on Terror.

milo bloom 07-03-20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 13766773)
I actually like most of the ideas we got and rather am bothered by the disjointed execution. The rise of a radical successor to the Empire? Pretty neat. The older generation either running, hermiting, or still fighting because the post-War period ended up badly? Good idea. A new generation with varying identity issues and not knowing who they're going to end up as? I'm all in. Personally, I think Johnson had the best understanding of the underpinnings of Lucas' psychology when writing the OT, even if the execution was not flawless in every respect. Most definitely his vision of The Force is the most consistent with Yoda's monologue in Empire.

I think rather than a "plot" plan, there should have been a "theme plan". "What are the ideas we want to explore? What are the questions we want to ask?"

So the OT was based on WWII. Base the sequels on the Cold War or the early 2000s/War on Terror.

This last bit is a great comment. Made me think of Star Trek 6 where they modeled it after the end of the Cold War between Russia and the USA.

Even just another year of rewriting the scripts could have hammered out a lot of these ideas. Disney should have started with something small while the movie people got ramped up.

Jason 07-05-20 10:25 AM

How about the studios and the fans just accept the fact that the original trilogy holds a unique position in film history, and any new movies that tie in directly to these characters will come with so much expectation and baggage that it is virtually impossible to make anyone truly happy. The prequels built up anticipation and high expectations that could never be realized, while any future movie dealing with these characters will forever carry the baggage of that failure.

The Star Wars universe is a vast, open ended sandbox of potential stories. An established universe makes new characters more palatable and filmmakers can experiment freely. This is how the MCU became a success. Without the larger structure of an established shared universe, it's unlikely movies like Guardians of the Galaxy would have ever gotten made. A series like The Mandalorian only works because it has an established framework. Let's go in that direction instead of trying to make a perfect conclusion to the original trilogy, which stands alone just fine by itself.

Mike86 07-05-20 10:50 AM

Yeah, the Original Trilogy holds a special spot there’s no doubt. It was done at the right time with the right people and just hasn’t been able to be lived up to.

I wonder if things had happened differently and the sequels happened in the nineties or possibly even the time when the prequels were made (1999-2005) what things would have looked like.