Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.71%
2.86%
28.57%
31.43%
8.57%
8.57%
5.71%
2.86%
2.86%
2.86%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 05:29 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: It: Chapter 2 (Muschietti, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
He worked for the real Ben's company. The way they framed it, for people who were unaware of the book or miniseries, they kind of led you to believe he was adult Ben until Ben appeared on the TV during the meeting.
Ah, I remembered the actor in the scene now. He looked familiar, nice find.
Old 09-08-19, 05:31 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Do you usually not enjoy a movie if the wife goes?
Old 09-08-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

It is made pretty clear throughout the book that Derry is sort of infected with negative vibes because of IT. Bad stuff happens and witnesses turn a blind eye.
AH, okay. I didn't really get that, having not read the book. I was wondering how it tied to the characters we knew already.
It was made more confusing by Mike tying it in to a new rash of Pennywise killings. I mean it was pretty clear that Pennywise killed Georgie in the first movie and the skateboard kid in this one. If he can influence regular people to kill on his behalf, that didn't seem clear to me. I mean sure Henry Bowers was influenced, but that was obvious and by a zombie, not just a general malaise of the town.
Old 09-08-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

I loved it as much as the first.

Be warned, there is a lot of "Typical hollywood bullshit" in this movie (i.e. couple kissing underwater after almost being killed by a demonic spider clown) - a lot of really unnecessary hokey shit that weighed this flick down but I honestly don't give a fuck anymore as hollywood is never, ever, going to get it right - as long as there is enough meat to a film for me, I'll walk out happy.

I think people also need to understand that IT was not even really a great book, one of King's very average novels. It only gets so much attention because of the "Evil clown". Also, the group dynamic of "we have to stick together!!" is just as cheesy in the book and the mini-series - so damn cringe-worthy but I got through it.

The scares in this flick were a lot of fun and I'm glad they kept the head of pennywise normal instead of a full out giant spider.

I don't see how a horror fan can't really like this - get over the dumb hollywood shit that is thrown at you throughout and you have a great flick - I feel like we got spoiled with the amount of scares and even gore to an extent with these two films as well.
Old 09-08-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

The cast was mostly great, but the whole thing felt like a collection of scenes more than a cohesive whole. Some scenes were great. Some were meh. Some felt like they were taken from an alternate version of the film set in the 50s/80s instead of the 80s/10s. Overall, it was fairy mediocre. I really hate the director’s musical punchlines, i.e. the snippet of New Kids in chapter one and Angel of the Morning in this one. Also, chronologically, all of the kid flashbacks had Beverly with short hair, but it felt like several were set before she cut it. The cgi faces and line dubbing for several of the kids were really distracting. The adults’ level of terror seemed completely random, where someone would be petrified and then totally fine. Anyway, I’m fairly let down after the first viewing, but feel like it may grow on me down the road, going in knowing what weaknesses to expect.

I did like that they used the original symbol from the book on the door to Pennywise’s lair. Probably a touch most wouldn’t notice, but It was my favorite book for many years and that symbol is my one and only tattoo, so I recognized it immediately.
Old 09-09-19, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I’m pretty much with maxfisher ... while I felt they did a decent job melding the jumps back and forth in time, they didn’t do a great job with melding the whole movie together. At times it felt like things cut, other times it felt like something was missing that wasn’t there to start with (e.g., what was up with mouth-scar kid in the beginning?).

It seemed like the time change from the novel to the movies really stuck out in Chapter 2. The 80s made a serviceable stand in for the 50s in part 1; but modern day doesn’t work as well for the 80s in this one.

The cast was great and the story was fine, but it really lacked heart. At times it felt like a checklist for an adventure-quest.
All in all, I enjoyed the two films, but I wish they had gone with a new 10 episode mini-series and used that extra time to better build the character of the whole story.

I was really surprised no theaters (around here anyway) offered a double-feature with Chapter 1. Re-watched that one on DVD last night and I really wish that had been 3 hours.

I haven’t read the book since way back when ... I kind of want to now.
Old 09-09-19, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Just "Meh" for me, guys. Bill Hader is the best reason to see this - he outshines all of his co-stars by a country mile. The "scares" however, aren't scary at all - most of them involve some pretty shaky CGI, and the final "battle" goes on for twice as long as it needs to. Pennywise feels like he's co-starring in his own flick. The only times in the movie he feels menacing at all is in the opening scene and a scene later in the movie involving a little girl under the bleachers at a baseball game - other than those two scenes, the movie tries to go for cheap thrills/scares, and almost all of them fail to work.

The best reason to see Chapter 2 is for the character acting, but the grown ups (again, aside from Hader) aren't nearly as interesting as their younger kid counterparts.

If you're on the borderline about seeing this one, wait and rent it. I'd give it a B-/C+
Old 09-09-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I agree with you Shannon.... way too much CGI to not be distracted by some great acting and intense scenes. A puppy morphing into a CGI terror-dog isn't as scary as Pennywise lurking under the bleachers as he psychologically fucks with a little kids head. There was waaaaay too much of the former.
That said, the acting was top notch and matching adult actors to the kids was fantastic. I loved the Eddy character as an adult.
Old 09-09-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It was a little exhausting. Not on par with Darabount’s long King adaptations. But still very good. And a great blend of King’s drama, and loud horror/sci-fi.
Old 09-09-19, 09:08 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I think people also need to understand that IT was not even really a great book, one of King's very average novels. It only gets so much attention because of the "Evil clown".
What’chu talking about Willis?
Old 09-09-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone seen this flick in the "Screen X" format where they image shoots down the entire sides of the theater at certain points in the film? I believe it's been in LA for a period of time and it was cool to see something like that hit my small town in western NY - it's not distracting at all and puts you in the film more - I dug it. during the film while I was looking at the walls I thought it was screen - after it was over I got up and touched and laughed because it was just fabric.
Old 09-09-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Great casting choices. I thought Pennywise was pretty funny in this one. The Stephen King cameo was cool. Fun movie, I liked it, but at the same time I don't see myself revisiting it
Old 09-09-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Has anyone seen this flick in the "Screen X" format where they image shoots down the entire sides of the theater at certain points in the film? I believe it's been in LA for a period of time and it was cool to see something like that hit my small town in western NY - it's not distracting at all and puts you in the film more - I dug it. during the film while I was looking at the walls I thought it was screen - after it was over I got up and touched and laughed because it was just fabric.
I saw Black Panther like that. It was, at most, 10 minutes of footage - mostly Wakanda city-scapes and the waterfall scenes. How much was included for this one?
Old 09-09-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Great casting choices. I thought Pennywise was pretty funny in this one. The Stephen King cameo was cool. Fun movie, I liked it, but at the same time I don't see myself revisiting it
The Peter Bogdanovich cameo was cooler. All I could think was, sheesh, I bet 95 percent of this audience doesn't even know who this guy IS.
Old 09-09-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

This is one of the movies that makes me glad I have A-List. Low risk investment as long as I make the time. I saw it and it's doubtful I'll ever re-visit it, let alone want to own it.

Of course there are going to be many (probably here) who blind buy this at $25-30, be unhappy with it and then it's going to go in their closet or shelf and collect dust. .
Old 09-09-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It was based on a real event.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill...Charlie_Howard

Read the book. The Adrian Mellon murder is the 1986 parallel to the Georgie murder. Each murder is the prologue to each part of the book’s two parts. Everything happens in parallel in the book. The Adrian Mellon murder happens around page 30 of an 1100 page book. It’s integral IF you tell things in the proper order.

Now I haven’t seen the movie yet, but in the book it is made abundantly clear that Pennywise watches the incident and then feeds on the body. Does the movie not show this?

Thanks for that info.
Old 09-09-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We saw it over the weekend...WHY THE FUUUUCK DID SO MANY PEOPLE BRING BABIES,TODDLERS, AND YOUNG KIDS!!!!??!?!

Anwyay, we liked it. I though the scares were well done. Having them "in your face" like they did added to the effectiveness of the scares. The Old Woman scene and Paul Bunyan scene were particularly freaky for me. I also, thought Spider-Pennywise was well done. I didn't care for how they finally killed Pennywise though.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-09-19 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I saw Black Panther like that. It was, at most, 10 minutes of footage - mostly Wakanda city-scapes and the waterfall scenes. How much was included for this one?
A LOT, I'd say overall, had to be over a half hour of use
Old 09-10-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
We saw it over the weekend...WHY THE FUUUUCK DID SO MANY PEOPLE BRING BABIES,TODDLERS, AND YOUNG KIDS!!!!??!?!
Because young parents are irresponsible twits...where have you been, Rip Wan Winkle?
Old 09-10-19, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, sort of perfunctory. Some cool effects and creatures, and some good jump scares. Young/Old characters were very good. I don't recall if the Richie subplot was in the book but I was glad to see that's where it went, I thought that's where it would go after seeing him on the wooden bridge. It really fleshed out a lot of things of his character.
Hader was great but yeah a lot of the other adults were more one-dimensional. Except for, oddly enough, Stan. Maybe Mike was 1 1/2 dimensional.
I liked the flashbacks. They helped remind me of the story, plus I liked the parallels with current day.
Glad I saw it for closure but not sure I need to see it again. There was a lot going on with them all splitting up and doing their quests. That said, though it was long, it didn't "feel" like a just-under-3-hour movie. (some movies I'm ready to end half hour before they do.)

- Was the office at the end the same office as in the beginning and end of Stand By Me? It sure looked familiar. A couple of the camera shots looked similar too.
- Was all the dialog about Bill and "didn't like the ending" of his book meta referencing of the reception of the ending of IT, especially considering one of the people who expressed that opinion? (I recall when I first read the book, "not liking the ending".)
Old 09-10-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

- Was all the dialog about Bill and "didn't like the ending" of his book meta referencing of the reception of the ending of IT, especially considering one of the people who expressed that opinion? (I recall when I first read the book, "not liking the ending".)
I think it was reference to Stephen King books in general. They always say that Stephen King's books are great until the ending hits.
Old 09-10-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Like others, thought it was okay. And like the 1990 version, all the other Losers (except for the ones who died) should have gotten down on their knees and bowed down to Mike for doing 100% of the work, research, staying in Derry for 27 years, motivating people to stay, coming up with the plan, all while remaining calm and without making jokes.

Not sure if it’s just me but I think another reason people may think it’s okay is due to the storyline related “forgetfulness” from leaving Derry. If you come in expecting these people to still be friends and drinking Kool-Ade together, but in reality they forgot most things and slowly regain them, then you might think some of that chemistry is lost or might take a while to find itself again, especially with new actors. Though I knew about that, from what I remember, that forgetfulness was better set-up in the mini-series.

Also not a fan of “video game mode” when characters split up and have to find a special item then regroup. Led to some good moments, but still I assume it works a lot better in the book.

Like Why So Blue said, the constant jokes were also a bit much. I get some of it is the characters trying to undercut the tension for themselves, but it overly did so for the audience in some instances.

Last edited by bluetoast; 09-10-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I don't see how a horror fan can't really like this - get over the dumb hollywood shit that is thrown at you throughout and you have a great flick - I feel like we got spoiled with the amount of scares and even gore to an extent with these two films as well.
I'm an old-school horror fan and, color me crazy, but I like my horror films to be, you know, scary. This one wasn't. At all. So, yeah, I didn't like it very much. It was amusing in parts, but right at the two hour mark I started getting fidgety, ready for it to just END ALREADY.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Just "Meh" for me, guys. Bill Hader is the best reason to see this - he outshines all of his co-stars by a country mile. The "scares" however, aren't scary at all - most of them involve some pretty shaky CGI, and the final "battle" goes on for twice as long as it needs to. Pennywise feels like he's co-starring in his own flick. The only times in the movie he feels menacing at all is in the opening scene and a scene later in the movie involving a little girl under the bleachers at a baseball game - other than those two scenes, the movie tries to go for cheap thrills/scares, and almost all of them fail to work.

The best reason to see Chapter 2 is for the character acting, but the grown ups (again, aside from Hader) aren't nearly as interesting as their younger kid counterparts.

If you're on the borderline about seeing this one, wait and rent it. I'd give it a B-/C+
I agree with all of this, Shannon. To me, it felt like "product," and "product" only. I never felt a moment of true passion for the material; instead, we were treated to a succession of jump scares because that's the easiest route for a film made by committee to take. I found it to be a big, long, soulless, and generally disappointing film. Even with all of my negativity, I still find it preferable to the TV movie (although Tim Curry beats Bill Skarsgard, hands down).
Old 09-10-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think some of you are just desensitized and It's getting harder to scare you. This especially applies if you see a lot of Horror.
Old 09-10-19, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

So true. The horror in this was more spooky and surprisingly sci-fi. And less body horror and sadistic.

It did kill kids tho. There is something rough about watching kids in peril.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.