Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.39%
22.03%
52.54%
8.47%
8.47%
1.69%
3.39%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Watts, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by movieguru
If there aren't any real ramifications from Thanos doing his snap, then why bother going through all the trouble of bringing people back if they really weren't that affected to begin with?
Except for not existing?
Old 07-08-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Of course Tony's snap didn't bring everyone back, Professor Hulk's did. Though Banner is also a genius.
Whoopsie!

i like that they can do a superhero film where the fate of the whole world isn't in the balance of them defeating the villain. Too many of these movies have the stakes set so high for defeating the villain, It's nice to have one where it is much closer to a personal level.
I agree with this, and it's one of the things I liked about Homecoming. My comment had more to do with the comedic tone of Far From Home (vs. the heavy themes of Infinity War/Endgame) making it seem ultimately inconsequential and lacking in stakes. Never for a second did any major character seem to be in true mortal danger (especially as they made jokes during life-threatening circumstances), and it robbed the movie of any tension.
Old 07-08-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There's a lot of logic issues with the whole snap and post snap. If all of a sudden half the people on the planet disappear, you would have a lot of mass suicides with people that could not deal with what just happened. The stock market would crash. All the major banks would fall as there would be at least 50% of the people that would now be defaulting on their mortages. There may not be enough skilled labor in certain industries to keep society running. Post snap, you would now all of a sudden have twice as many people on the earth you did a few seconds before. Since five years in they would only have been producing enough food to feed the decreased population, you would now have people starving to death. you would have a lot of people that came back that couldn't go back to living where they were because someone else was living there. Your spouse may have remarried. Your job would be gone so there would be massive unemployment. All your belongings would be gone. It would be major pandemonium, but none of this is really reflected in the new movie. It just makes it look like everyting is back to normal. I doubt they will ever address much of ramifications and just say everyting is back to normal.
As Harrison Ford said about another film to his co-star, "It ain't that kind of movie, kid."
Old 07-08-19, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As Harrison Ford said about another film to his co-star, "It ain't that kind of movie, kid."
Most of the Snap effects are played for laughs, in fact. You'd need a 10hr Ken Burns documentary to get into all the societal stuff.
Old 07-08-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Most of the Snap effects are played for laughs, in fact. You'd need a 10hr Ken Burns documentary to get into all the societal stuff.
It's sort of like the massive property damage that happens in the other movies, like cities getting trashed. They never really go into all of the people who would have died in the first Avengers movie when the Chitauri were attacking New York, or the billions in property damage that resulted. So they're probably not going to get into the human consequences of the snap and blip even though it would have effected every single person living on the planet in some way. (Though do I wish they have found some other way to undo Thanos' snap.)
Old 07-08-19, 06:07 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I would actually watch that.
Old 07-08-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's sort of like the massive property damage that happens in the other movies, like cities getting trashed. They never really go into all of the people who would have died in the first Avengers movie when the Chitauri were attacking New York, or the billions in property damage that resulted. So they're probably not going to get into the human consequences of the snap and blip even though it would have effected every single person living on the planet in some way. (Though do I wish they have found some other way to undo Thanos' snap.)
They dealt with the property damage from the Avengers in Homecoming when Damage Control came in to replace the independent contractors. It's not certain to what extent Hulk and Tony's snap had. Did Hulk try not to just bring back people, but undo some of the damage also?
Old 07-09-19, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Never for a second did any major character seem to be in true mortal danger (especially as they made jokes during life-threatening circumstances), and it robbed the movie of any tension.
But isn’t that...Spider-Man?
Old 07-09-19, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I thought it was an uneven but entertaining popcorn flick. I liked how they handled the Mysterio character and wouldn't mind seeing him return in a future installment. His first battle against Spider-man when he was using all the hologram effects to disorient him was pretty cool.

It was nice to see Spider-man baddies Hydroman and Molten Man finally introduced into the MCU. I thought the movie stayed faithful to their comic book portrayals and I also wouldn't mind seeing them return in the future,

Some of the comedy bits fell flat and there were a bunch of plot holes, but in the end, how can you dislike a movie that uses a classic Led Zepp song at a pivotal moment?
Old 07-09-19, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only scene I really disliked was when Mysterio/Beck jumped up on the table in the bar and started acting like a mustache-twirling villain. It was so corny, I almost expected that all the people he was talking to were going to be revealed to ALSO be holograms and we'd find out Beck was actually working alone...but nope.

Other than that, I was pretty entertained throughout.
Old 07-09-19, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Some of the comedy bits fell flat and there were a bunch of plot holes, but in the end, how can you dislike a movie that uses a classic Led Zepp song at a pivotal moment?
ONE guy in the theater (not me) laughed at that joke - which says something about the average age of the viewers for this film.
Old 07-09-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

But isn’t that...Spider-Man?
Sure, Spider-Man himself can quip in dangerous situations. But a group of teens cracking jokes while waiting to get gunned down by a drone? Removes all tension from the scene.
Old 07-09-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I thought it was an uneven but entertaining popcorn flick. I liked how they handled the Mysterio character and wouldn't mind seeing him return in a future installment. His first battle against Spider-man when he was using all the hologram effects to disorient him was pretty cool.

It was nice to see Spider-man baddies Hydroman and Molten Man finally introduced into the MCU. I thought the movie stayed faithful to their comic book portrayals and I also wouldn't mind seeing them return in the future,

You must not have ever read a Spider-Man comic book before.
Old 07-09-19, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I definitely thought they'd deal with ramifications of the SNAP more. The most jarring scene in Endgame for me was when Scott Lang was walking through parts of Queens (or Brooklyn, I don't remember where his family lives) on the way to his ex-wife's house. The mass destruction in a residential neighborhood, the lone kid riding his bike with torn clothes, not smiling, not talking, not even bothering to look at Scott.

And here we have a few months later a class trip to Europe and everything is all peaches and cream. No destruction, tourist industry seems to be back to normal, etc. Why would a high school class even be planning a trip overseas to soon? You'd think everyone would be dealing with returning from the SNAP, and rebuilding would have only just begun.
Old 07-09-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I definitely thought they'd deal with ramifications of the SNAP more. The most jarring scene in Endgame for me was when Scott Lang was walking through parts of Queens (or Brooklyn, I don't remember where his family lives) on the way to his ex-wife's house. The mass destruction in a residential neighborhood, the lone kid riding his bike with torn clothes, not smiling, not talking, not even bothering to look at Scott.

And here we have a few months later a class trip to Europe and everything is all peaches and cream. No destruction, tourist industry seems to be back to normal, etc. Why would a high school class even be planning a trip overseas to soon? You'd think everyone would be dealing with returning from the SNAP, and rebuilding would have only just begun.
I disagree. This isn't Endgame Part 2. It's Spider-Man and his new adventure. For all we know, this takes place 6-8 months after The Blip. Life has to move on. Peter is a kid and dealing with kid issues.

and for the record, Antman takes place in San Francisco. Not Queens or Brooklyn.
Old 07-09-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I definitely thought they'd deal with ramifications of the SNAP more. The most jarring scene in Endgame for me was when Scott Lang was walking through parts of Queens (or Brooklyn, I don't remember where his family lives) on the way to his ex-wife's house.
San Francisco. You were close.
Old 07-09-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, they did address all the death and damage from the Avengers with the Superhuman Registration Act in Civil War.
Old 07-09-19, 06:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

this was a Spider-Man movie. not Avengers. why do need to know all the ramifications and all this and that about everyone in the world? this was a lighter hearted superhero movie involving a few characters from that universe (2 of which weren't even who they were purported to be), but still Spidey nonetheless. The last 2 Avengers' movies were emotional wallops already. they had to go light next. they knew fans' minds and bodies couldn't handle more
Old 07-09-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That's what I don't enjoy about these Marvel films. An entire invasion takes place in the first Avengers, yet a handful of superheroes stop it. We don't see innocent bystanders dying, and the bow and arrow guy somehow survives. Infinity War you had thousands and thousands of demonic killing machines attacking the Avengers and their allies...and none of them are seen dying. It's super serious after the Thanos snap, but everything goes back to normal by the time of Far From Home? It's that easy?

Okay, fine it's not that kind of movie...so why have that this spectacle in the first place if the audience knows nothing of any real consequence is going to happen?
Old 07-10-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The only scene I really disliked was when Mysterio/Beck jumped up on the table in the bar and started acting like a mustache-twirling villain. It was so corny, I almost expected that all the people he was talking to were going to be revealed to ALSO be holograms and we'd find out Beck was actually working alone...but nope.

Other than that, I was pretty entertained throughout.
Yeah, that was a clunky exposition scene that went overboard in explaining everything. I did like the start of that scene when Peter left and the holograms first started disappearing though. Seeing that start, my thought was "uh-oh, plot twist."
Old 07-10-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Okay, fine it's not that kind of movie...so why have that this spectacle in the first place if the audience knows nothing of any real consequence is going to happen?
That's fairly consistent with comic books though. Half of New York is destroyed in one issue and it's back to normal in the next.
Old 07-10-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
That's fairly consistent with comic books though. Half of New York is destroyed in one issue and it's back to normal in the next.
Not saying that doesn’t go on, but I honestly don’t recall reading a Marvel or DC story where that happened. Battles and property damage happened but nothing like Infinity War or the first Avengers movie. Green Lanterns home town got destroyed and all the residents were killed. Things didn’t go back to normal for over a decade. But in the Death of Superman you had two super humans doing battle across Metropolis and I don’t recall anyone being killed. Aside from Superman. Not a full scale war though. Miracleman handled situations like that a lot more realistically.

But let’s say it’s consistent with comic books. Is that a good thing? In comic books characters die and come back all the time to the point that death doesn’t even carry any weight. Many of Spider-Man’s friends and foes died over the years, usually in well written stories, only to come back in poorly written stories.
These producers want to depict massive violence but not the real consequences of it. Just a nice and healthy sanitized depiction of violence.
And comics are wildly inconsistent. Marvel and DC are kids stuff one minute, the next characters are getting beheaded and raped. I think one superhero was cannibalized by a supervillain on panel, and it wasn’t even the Marvel Zombies version.

Old 07-11-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I liked it okay, I guess. Tom Holland was good and shared good chemistry with Zendaya and some of the action was okay, but the so-called plot was rather weak and how it forced into the Iron Man movies fell flat, as did Gyllenhaal post-turn including an awkwardly written exposition scene. Definitely not as good as Homecoming and really reminded me why Marvel proper (mostly) is better at this than Sony-Marvel. 3.25/5
Old 07-12-19, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

i like that they can do a superhero film where the fate of the whole world isn't in the balance of them defeating the villain. Too many of these movies have the stakes set so high for defeating the villain, It's nice to have one where it is much closer to a personal level.
I do really appreciate this as well and think that's one reason why Marvel is so successful. They have variety in their movies so not everything has the same tone.

I would love this. I did expect more exposition on the blip (I think it was very creative of them to come up with an in universe term for the snap. I totally would have missed it as a writer and would have had all the characters calling it the snap). However, it wouldn't have been appropriate for the tone of this film. I did like the little nods here and there to society issues with people coming back. Like the mention about someone being in their house when they blipped back.

I think what might be awesome is to have a hawkeye movie take place right after Endgame. It could serve as a true epilogue to Endgame and keep a similar tone. He would be the perfect character to explore life after the the reverse snap. We could also see the emotional return of his family and his struggles dealing with what he did during that 5 year period.
Old 07-12-19, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I thought the movie was incredible. It was just plain fun. Tom Holland really is the perfect PP/SM. Like someone said earlier I do somewhat wish Jake G. wasn't faking as he was very convincing as the multi-dimensional hero. I love that Happy returned with an even bigger role in this. It's too bad Pepper wasn't in this, it would have been nice to have had a little more closure with Tony's death. I thought it was an interesting little nod to Marvel Zombies during the fight scene. (which was incredible). I agree that it is a little weird that the characters in this universe are so different than their comic book counterparts. Don't get me wrong I love them as they are but it would have been perfectly fine if they were just brand new characters. Calling him Flash Thompson adds nothing. Just make him a new character.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.