Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ready or Not (2019) S: Samara Weaving

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ready or Not (2019) S: Samara Weaving

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Ready or Not (2019) S: Samara Weaving

Am I the only one who thought the trailer gave away too much?

A fun dark comedy romp ... think part Get Out, part Clue, and part every man-hunt/escape horror/action film ever made. It was possibly a little too lean, but very enjoyable.
Old 08-26-19, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Am I the only one who thought the trailer gave away too much?

A fun dark comedy romp ... think part Get Out, part Clue, and part every man-hunt/escape horror/action film ever made. It was possibly a little too lean, but very enjoyable.
Definitely, the trailer gave away way too much. I prefer not to know who dies before I watch a movie.
Old 08-26-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I thought this was very entertaining and reminded me of Cabin in the Woods for its blend of humor and horror as well as
Spoiler:
the ritual and prophecy

At the end, I seriously wondered if they’d
Spoiler:
blow up Weaving too as a member of the family, though apparently she would’ve had to finish one of the mundane games to be included in the family. I didn’t really think they’d do that, but it would’ve been a great curveball.

Question about the ending:
Spoiler:
Grace was about to be sacrificed when Daniel saved her with the poison, then she was about to be sacrificed by Alex when suddenly she was free and holding the knife before people started exploding. I don’t know if I blinked or blacked out, but I missed how she got free.
Old 08-26-19, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Spoiler:
Grace was about to be sacrificed when Daniel saved her with the poison, then she was about to be sacrificed by Alex when suddenly she was free and holding the knife before people started exploding. I don’t know if I blinked or blacked out, but I missed how she got free.
Spoiler:
I could be wrong but think they were in the process of sacrificing her when the Aunt looked out the window and saw the Sunrise and they knew it was too late.
Old 08-27-19, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It was hard to tell because it happened so fast, but it looked like Alex either chickened out or had second thoughts and so when he brought the knife down, he stabbed the hand of someone who was holding Grace down, which allowed her to get up and take the knife from him.
Old 08-27-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Spoiler:
It was hard to tell because it happened so fast, but it looked like Alex either chickened out or had second thoughts and so when he brought the knife down, he stabbed the hand of someone who was holding Grace down, which allowed her to get up and take the knife from him.
Spoiler:
Pretty sure she bit someone's hand that was holding her, then she moved her head which caused Alex to miss and she got up and took the knife with her.

I enjoyed this. I thought it was a pretty fun with that had some good dark humor moments in it as well as some decent horror moments in it. I will say the plot probably is not worth thinking about too much since if you do you will find all the plot holes in it. Ive loved Smara Weaving since watching her in Ash vs Evil Dead and Mayhem so anything with her is great in my book. Loved the ending also. I'd give this a 4/5 rating. Dissapointed Samara did not have any foot shots though.
Old 08-27-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Spoiler:
Pretty sure she bit someone's hand that was holding her, then she moved her head which caused Alex to miss and she got up and took the knife with her.
Spoiler:
Hmm, that’s a very interesting and believable possibility. My guess had been what perkinsuns said, and I definitely remembered Decker’s point. Not sure I need to see the movie again, but if I do, I’ll keep my eye out for this moment. Thanks to all for the input!

Old 08-27-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I saw this over the weekend and enjoyed it. fun and suspenseful.
Old 08-27-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I saw this over the weekend and enjoyed it. fun and suspenseful.
Same. Yeah, I enjoyed this a lot. Really fun time at the movies.
Old 09-18-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by robin2099
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Actually, I think what happened is they were just holding her down (remember, they were running out of time and couldn't tie her down like before), and at the last second, she wrenched her body so that the knife went into her shoulder instead of her chest. The sun then came up so they were kind of shocked and let her go, and she stood up and pulled the knife out of her shoulder and held it on them.
Old 09-23-19, 09:35 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I wanted to see this but it was playing at the most bizarre times, like 1:00pm and 4:45pm. Sorry, I've got work and have to pick up the kids. It's out of theaters near me now.
Old 05-28-20, 07:38 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I completely missed this when it first came out. It's now on HBO. Watched last night and it was a ton of fun. Funny, gory, not particularly scary (I don't think it was meant to be). All I know is I wouldn't want to be the hired help in that house.
Old 05-28-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Taped it from HBO.

I was not expecting much but it was entertaining though the rich people were too cartoonish.

Samara Weaving kinds of looks like Margot Robbie.
Old 05-29-20, 06:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Thanks for the reminder bump. Added to my HBO queue.
Old 05-31-20, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Spoiler:
Actually, I think what happened is they were just holding her down (remember, they were running out of time and couldn't tie her down like before), and at the last second, she wrenched her body so that the knife went into her shoulder instead of her chest. The sun then came up so they were kind of shocked and let her go, and she stood up and pulled the knife out of her shoulder and held it on them.

Just finished re-watching the film.

Spoiler:
Alex's Dad is the person holding his hand over Grace's mouth. She bites his hand, which allows her to turn to her right. When she does this, Alex is already stabbing downwards and ends up stabbing Grace in the shoulder instead (as you mentioned). She then quickly pulls the knife out of her shoulder, which is why she has it in her hand before the curtains are open to show that is daylight outside.

With that said, the film is just as fun as when I saw it in theaters for the first time.
Old 06-08-20, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

This was enjoyable. I went in only knowing it was about a deadly game, which was basically the entire plot. I enjoyed the kills and and others have said, Weaving was fun to watch and does bare a striking resemblance to Margot Robbie.

For some reason, while watching this I thought it would be a good double feature with Knives Out.
Old 06-08-20, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

For some reason, while watching this I thought it would be a good double feature with Knives Out.
Triple "Eat the Rich" feature with Parasite as well.
Old 06-08-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

^ There is some sort of morbid satisfaction watching rich people get it.
Old 10-18-21, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Watched this one over the weekend and enjoyed the hell out of it. Really felt like it could be part of a Cabin in the Woods cinematic universe if there were such a thing.
Old 10-19-21, 06:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Watched this one over the weekend and enjoyed the hell out of it. Really felt like it could be part of a Cabin in the Woods cinematic universe if there were such a thing.
i didn’t care for CitW and hardly a connection. That was a staged high tech monster game created by people. This is a familial horror ritual movie. How are they similar? RoN was a ton of fun and more in common with Get Out than CitW, I think.
Old 03-12-22, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Caught this on FXM on demand. Decent flick. Samara plays a good lead. Good comedy.

Didn’t care for the supernatural ending though.