Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Magic 8 Ball (D: Wadlow)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 05:14 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Mattel is partnering with Blumhouse for a live-action feature take on their popular toy Magic 8 Ball. Jeff Wadlow, who has directed such Blumhouse movies as Truth or Dare and Fantasy Island, is attached to direct.

Wadlow will also write the script with his collaborators, Jillian Jacobs and Chris Roach. This marks Mattel Films’ first partnership with an independent studio.

“Since the 1950s, Magic 8 Ball has inspired imagination, suspense and intrigue across generations. This iconic toy has a built-in connection with fans and untapped potential for storytelling,” said Robbie Brenner of Mattel Films. “There are no partners better suited to tell the Magic 8 Ball story in collaboration with Mattel Films than Jeff Wadlow and Blumhouse Productions, whose unique approach to the thriller genre has captivated audiences worldwide and has gained widespread accolades.”

“As fans of Mattel and their iconic brands, we’re looking forward to bringing Magic 8 Ball, one of their most celebrated toys, to life, and playing against expectations in doing so,” Blumhouse founder Jason Blum said. “We look forward to partnering with Mattel Films to put this project on the fast track to the big screen and create a memorable experience for moviegoers.”

Magic 8 Ball is the sixth project Mattel Films has in development. The studio has plans to create feature films based on Mattel’s Barbie, Hot Wheels, Masters of the Universe, American Girl and View Master brands. The iconic, fortune-telling Magic 8 Ball was selected by Time magazine as one of the 100 greatest toys of all time.

Blumhouse Productions counts more than $3 billion at the global box office from its library. The studio is known for pioneering a new model of studio filmmaking, with its focus on high-quality, micro-budget films. Last weekend, Blumhouse’s thriller Ma, made for $5 million before P&A, amassed an $18.26M opening. Throughout the last decade, Blumhouse has built such franchises as Happy Death Day, The Purge, Insidious, Ouija and Paranormal Activity. Blumhouse was behind such Oscar-winning movies as Get Out from Jordan Peele (best original screenplay), BlacKkKlansman (best adapted screenplay) and Whiplash (best supporting actor, film editing, sound mixing).

Wadlow’s Truth or Dare grossed more than $95M worldwide off a $3.5M estimated production cost. He is repped by UTA, Artists First and Hirsch Wallerstein Hayum Matlof and Fishman. Writers Jacob and Roach are represented by Verve and Barnes Morris Yorn.

Nine years ago, Magic 8 Ball was in development at Paramount with Jon Gunn and John Mann writing.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/magic-8...ts-1202626269/
Old 06-04-19, 05:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Magic 8 Ball (D: Wadlow)

Still holding out for Pong: The Motion Picture.
Old 06-04-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I can imagine this being like the Ouija movies.
Old 06-04-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

... a View-Master movie?

Originally Posted by Mike86
I can imagine this being like the Ouija movies.
Sounds alright to me. The second Ouija movie was pretty slick.
Old 06-04-19, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
... a View-Master movie?

Sounds alright to me. The second Ouija movie was pretty slick.
Yeah, the second one was actually pretty good I agree.