Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rifkin's Festival (2020, D: Woody Allen) S: Wallace Shawn, Gina Gershon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 01:19 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Forgive any errors, used Google translate to view article

Woody Allen will be back behind a camera within only three months, and will do so to shoot his next film in Spain, "basically in the Basque Country" and especially in San Sebastian . It will be a production of Mediapro Studios , as confirmed on Tuesday by the sole administrator of the media group, Jaume Roures , when presenting this new name of the audiovisual conglomerate.

The new project comes to rescue the American filmmaker from the delicate situation in which he was in the wake of accusations of sexual abuse by his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow, accusations not backed judicially and that he always denied.

After releasing the 2017 Wonder Wheel , the director broke the custom in 2018 to make at least one film a year that he had been following since 1981. US media attributed the break to the fact that Allen could not find funding for his projects as a result of the accusations mentioned. In fact, the director filed a lawsuit against the Amazon company's studios last February , demanding $ 68 million in compensation for having broken an agreement for the production of four films, including one already made, A Rainy Day in New York .

Roures says however that his friend Woody - he calls him by name - took a long break last year to "write his memoirs". In any case, be called a break or be called a break, the inactivity is over for the veteran creator of Hollywood.

Allen does not want to give details of this new film set in Spain, and that's why Roures was sparing about it. In response to questions from La Vanguardia , the businessman did clarify that filming will not happen in Barcelona despite the fact that it was initially considered, partly because of the good taste that Vicky Cristina Barcelona's experience left in the director 12 years ago.

"The script will be at the height of Midnight in Paris, " said Roures. The comparison comes to the case that, like that romantic comedy about writers, the new film will also deal with " about creators ".

The film will have as protagonist a couple in which the role of she will interpret "an actress of great international dimension ", American for more signs. "I can not count anymore, because Woody would get angry," Roures said.
https://www.lavanguardia.com/cultura...ro-roures.html

Old 06-04-19, 02:24 PM

re: Rifkin's Festival (2020, D: Woody Allen) S: Wallace Shawn, Gina Gershon

Woody Allen is set to direct his next feature in Spain.

The movie will star Oscar-winner Christoph Waltz, Gina Gershon and Wallace Shawn, as well as Sergi López (Dirty Pretty Things, Pan's Labyrinth), French actor Louis Garrel (Godard Mon Amour) and Elena Anaya (Wonder Woman, The Skin I Live In).

The working title on the film, which will begin shooting in July in San Sebastian, is WASP2019.

The story centers on a married American couple who go to the San Sebastian Film Festival and get caught up in the magic of the festival, the beauty and charm of Spain and the fantasy of movies. She has an affair with a brilliant French movie director, and he falls in love with a beautiful Spanish woman who lives there. It is a comedy-romance that resolves itself in a funny but romantic way.

The movie will be co-produced by Spain's MediaPro Studio, along with Allen's Gravier Production. MediaPro previously worked with Allen on his previous titles Midnight In Paris, You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger and Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

The San Sebastian project is the first for Allen since the rise of the #MeToo movement, which reignited attention to the allegations of sexual abuse levied by Dylan Farrow, Allen's adoptive daughter.

In response, Amazon Studios nixed the U.S. release of Allen's last film, A Rainy Day in New York, starring Jude Law and Selena Gomez. Allen's production company later filed a $68 million lawsuit against the studio in the Southern District of New York. The suit, which claimed break of contract, alleged that Amazon attempted to terminate its four-feature agreements with the director, who was behind Amazon series A Crisis In Six Parts and feature Wonder Wheel, in June 2018.

The streamer, in a filed response to Allen's lawsuit, said, “Understood in the broader context, Allen’s actions and their cascading consequences ensured that Amazon could never possibly receive the benefit of its four-picture agreement."

A Rainy Day in New York did receive an overseas release in Italy on Oct. 3 via distributor Lucky Red. On May 18, the director released a trailer for the film on his Facebook page.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...Pgv7J7Noa4MWz8
Old 09-10-20, 01:56 PM

A married American couple go to the San Sebastian Festival and get caught up in the magic of the event, the beauty and charm of the city and the fantasy of movies.

Written and Directed by: Woody Allen Starring: Wallace Shawn, Gina Gershon, Elena Anaya and Christoph Waltz

Last edited by dex14; 09-10-20 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-10-20, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

This film expects us to believe that Gershon and Shawn are married? Isn't he like 80 now? Sounds like Woody writing a bit of himself into a roll.
Old 09-10-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Write what you know.
Old 09-10-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
This film expects us to believe that Gershon and Shawn are married? Isn't he like 80 now? Sounds like Woody writing a bit of himself into a roll.
No, they expect you to believe the character played by Gershon is married to the character played by Shawn.

For what it's worth, in real life, Gershon and Wallace are 14 years apart, and Shawn's real life wife is one of the most attractive 74 year old woman I've seen.

The trailer gives me Midnight In Paris vibes.
Old 09-10-20, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
For what it's worth, in real life, Gershon and Wallace are 14 years apart, and Shawn's real life wife is one of the most attractive 74 year old woman I've seen.
Spoiler:

Allow me to direct you here... https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...find-sexy.html
Old 09-10-20, 05:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So I guess Allen is gonna take the turn in his career and just work in Europe from now on like Polanski.
Old 09-10-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Spoiler:

Allow me to direct you here... https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...find-sexy.html
I stand by my statement that she's held up better than most women her age. I was thinking more about how she must have twenty years ago, compared to Shawn, who looked pretty much the same.
Old 09-11-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
So I guess Allen is gonna take the turn in his career and just work in Europe from now on like Polanski.
He's films where he can get the money to make his movie, that's why he went through a UK/France/Spain period over the past 15 years.
Old 12-10-21, 09:15 AM

Allen’s latest work, Rifkin’s Festival (which was shot in 2019 and premiered at last year’s Sebastian Film Festival), is now arriving in the U.S. in theaters and on digital platforms on January 28, 2022 from MPI Media Group.

Old 12-10-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

I'm glad for the chance to see it, but everything I've read suggests this is not good.
Old 01-28-22, 11:48 AM

This is now up on VOD and in select theatres.
Old 01-28-22, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Wally Shawn is married to Christopher Lee!! Inconceivable!
Old 01-31-22, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Rifkin's Festival (2020, D: Woody Allen) S: Wallace Shawn, Gina Gershon

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
For what it's worth, in real life, Gershon and Wallace are 14 years apart...
It's a 19 year difference. Gershon is 59. Shawn is 78.
In any case for some people age is of little concern when a person is rich, famous or both.