Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why didn't anyone from LOTR become a big star?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why didn't anyone from LOTR become a big star?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Why didn't anyone from LOTR become a big star?

Haha yeah I just appended my comment to throw him in there (basically), the movie was about the world being created and the effects.
Old 05-28-19, 09:30 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That Peter Jackson guy got some run too.

I mean, you can say similar things about the main cast of Star Wars (either trilogy, if you argue that Ford got more notoriety out of Indiana Jones and certainly not his acting skills in Star Wars). Even though the prequels had a lot of name actors I doubt anyone really discovered them via those movies.
Eh... I do think Ewan benefited from TPM. Sure, anyone who was a film fan knew who he was from Trainspotting and such. But general audiences wouldn't. Similar to how Christian Bale was known to a degree from American Psycho and some other things before Batman Begins but was catapulted once that came out.

But yea... Mark Hamill's career went great after the OT.

Anyway...regarding the OP... plenty went on to successes, as was already stated by many.
Old 05-28-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Kind of waiting to see how this same scenario plays out with GoT actors.

Several have made their way into some very high profile franchises (Star Wars, X-men, Terminator), but their entries have largely been considered some of the worst. It feels like outside of those reoccurring roles, we don’t see many people from that show in a ton of other things.
Old 05-28-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
But yea... Mark Hamill's career went great after the OT.

Old 05-28-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

You guys act like Corvette Summer never existed,

Old 05-28-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

While he obviously didn't survive past Fellowship of the Ring, Sean Bean has been keeping busy over the years.

Old 05-28-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Well, no busier than George W. Bush
Old 05-28-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Kind of waiting to see how this same scenario plays out with GoT actors.
They will enjoy the same success as the Walking Dead cast. Kit Harington will share a gutter with Norman Reedus, the rest will vanish.
Old 05-28-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Sean Astin seems like a cool guy but he is not a great actor.

Liv Tyler is awful and surprised she had a career though it did not last long.

I don't know about Elijah Wood. He had a good career before LOTR and did some stuff and a TV show after that unless he is taking a break from acting?
Old 05-28-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I've seen Elijah in a couple movies lately: Maniac and I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore (Netflix).
Old 05-28-19, 10:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah and Liv Tyler has been in like 3 series and several movies since LOTR.
Old 05-28-19, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone from the Lord of the Rings movies have been in recent movies and tv shows.

Viggo has been in alot of stuff. History of Violence, Eastern Promises,Hidalgo. Even that new movie Green Book or whatever its called where he's the driver for some black dude.

Sean Astin, hes been in plenty of stuff even Stranger Things
Old 05-29-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
McKellen was certainly a respected actor, but huge star seems like a stretch. His highest grossing movies before X-Men and LOTR were small minor parts in Last Action Hero and The Shadow, which we’re both flops.

My parents and Shakespeare professor both loved him, but I would think you need a larger presence in the public consciousness than that to count as a “huge star.”
Really? He was knighted by the Queen in 1991, almost a decade before X-Men was released. I'm sure that was for just being a nice guy.
Old 05-29-19, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

He was a great actor then, but more known for theater and smaller films. He wasn’t being knighted for being a “huge star” at the time, though he was certainly more famous in the UK than America.
Old 05-30-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Watching ROTK on A&E and it dawned on me how despite the box office and Oscars (underserved. Master & Commander was better and holds up 15 years later)), no one became a star out of this.

Ian achieved equal or greater stardom from X Men
Elijah?
Sean Astin, the one member of the cast everyone thought should have gotten an Oscar nom? Where is he now?
Viggo, we know, didn't seek stardom.
Didn't Dominic Monaghan go bankrupt?
Hugo Weaving had The Matrix
Has anyone seen Liv Tyler lately?
Jonathan Rhys-Davies has enjoyed a solid if unremarkable career as a character actor.
Orlando Bloom kinda sank after the disaster of Elizabethtown. OTOH he's banging Katy Perry so I don't feel too bad for him.

No one got a career boost out of this movie, it seems.

Or am I missing something?
Except for Ian McKellen, I haven't seen any of these actors in anything since ROTK. I have no idea if any are actual stars or not. Every year the Oscars nominate people I never heard of. I don't see a lot of current movies or TV anymore.
Old 05-30-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
He was a great actor then, but more known for theater and smaller films. He wasn’t being knighted for being a “huge star” at the time, though he was certainly more famous in the UK than America.
To me, a "star" in the world of entertainment is if the person is a household name (meaning even if you hadn't seen the work, you knew who the person was). Ian McKellan was a household name in the 1980s.
Old 05-30-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I was alive in the 80s and disagree. But I don’t think this discussion is going anywhere so I’ll just quote his own Wikipedia and back away from the conversation:

McKellen had taken film roles throughout his career—beginning in 1969 with his role of George Matthews in A Touch of Love, and his first leading role was in 1980 as D. H. Lawrence in Priest of Love,[38] but it was not until the 1990s that he became more widely recognised in this medium after several roles in blockbuster Hollywood films.[26]

The 26 citation above links to his Inside the Actors Studio Where James Lipton describes him as “becoming very mainstream” following the success of X-Men and LOTR. I’d say that’s where he starts to become known.
Old 05-30-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel that people responding to this don't know what the definition of stars is, considering they talk about them going into TV shows and projects no one but hardcore film geeks have ever heard of. The OP was referencing other franchises which have been able to launch actors into being stars. Star Wars made Harrison Ford a big enough name that he was able to play Indiana Jones. Pirates made Johnny Depp into a huge star. The X-Men movies made Hugh Jackman into a star. And the Lord of the Rings movies did not really make anybody a huge name. Viggo never wanted to be a star. Orlando just never became one after being overshadowed by Viggo in LOTR and overshadowed by Depp in Pirates. Really, the LOTR movies were textbook examples of good actors that fit a part, but were not necessarily stars.
Old 05-30-19, 10:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I feel that people responding to this don't know what the definition of stars is, considering they talk about them going into TV shows and projects no one but hardcore film geeks have ever heard of.
I would think the definition of a hardcore film geek would mean they actually know about those TV shows and projects. Every main cast member from the LOTR films has been constantly working since the trilogy was released. But yes, not all “starring” roles.

Old 05-30-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This will be my last word on this topic, but saying Ian McKellen wasn't a star before X-Men is like saying Anthony Hopkins wasn't a star before Silence of the Lambs.
Old 05-30-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by urrutiap

Sean Astin, hes been in plenty of stuff even Stranger Things
Recently in The Big Bang Theory. I also remember him in The Strain. Not a huge star but seems to get plenty of work.
Old 05-31-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit

I would think the definition of a hardcore film geek would mean they actually know about those TV shows and projects. Every main cast member from the LOTR films has been constantly working since the trilogy was released. But yes, not all “starring” roles.

That's what I was referencing. Film geeks may have heard about these projects but joe schmoe public will have no idea, and were not seeking anyone of these actors out, and there is a difference between "star" and"working actor" which most people in this thread seemed to confuse.
Old 05-31-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

If you're talking about becoming like a leading man or lady, really only Viggo and Bloom had the part and stature to really break out. Viggo didn't want to and Bloom tried. You could argue that he had a similar thing to Ford where he went on to star in Pirates after LotR and it just didn't work out. If that's how you define a star, it doesn't really surprise me that we didn't get a new "star" from this franchise.
Old 05-31-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy Serkis has probably netted the most high-profile work out of the LOTR actors.
Old 05-31-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Andy Serkis has probably netted the most high-profile work out of the LOTR actors.
And 99 people out of 100 couldn't pick him out of a lineup.