Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kid Who Would Be King (2019, D: Joe Cornish) S: Serkis, Stewart, Ferugson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-17-18, 09:08 AM

Old school magic meets the modern world in the epic adventure THE KID WHO WOULD BE KING. Alex (Ashbourne Serkis) thinks he's just another nobody, until he stumbles upon the mythical Sword in the Stone, Excalibur. Now, he must unite his friends and enemies into a band of knights and, together with the legendary wizard Merlin (Stewart), take on the wicked enchantress Morgana (Ferguson). With the future at stake, Alex must become the great leader he never dreamed he could be.

Last edited by dex14; 01-21-19 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-17-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Kid Who Would Be King (2019, D: Joe Cornish) S: Serkis, Stewart, Ferugson

I think the biggest head scratcher here is, Andy Serkis really named his kid Ashbourne?
Old 10-17-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Kid Who Would Be King (2019, D: Joe Cornish) S: Serkis, Stewart, Ferugson

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I think the biggest head scratcher here is, Andy Serkis really named his kid Ashbourne?
Well, it's better than Apple...
Old 01-13-19, 10:12 AM

Reviews seem good: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the..._would_be_king
Old 01-13-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This looks amusing and Rebecca Ferguson is awesome. The special effects also look cool.
Old 01-21-19, 09:29 AM

Opens this week. Reviews are still holding strong at 89% on RT.
Old 01-25-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually seeing this tomorrow sometime, will be writing a review for ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES. Seems like just the kind of family oriented fantasy that a lot of my followers may like.
Old 01-25-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From an interview with Cornish on i09 yesterday:
“Really what we should be telling kids is it doesn’t matter who your parents are or where you were born,” he continues. “It’s about what you do and what decisions you make. You’re your own person, really. That things should be meritocratic not hereditary.
From the kid's imdb:
Son of actors Andy Serkis and Lorraine Ashbourne
A bit of a stretch on my end, but I thought it was funny. I'm sure he got the part on his own merits, of course of course.

My oldest really wants to see this, and I think it looks pretty good, too, so maybe we'll check it out this weekend if we get a chance.
Old 01-27-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

The Kid Who Would Be King (PG) - Fun, very British kids adventure of the type that we don’t see much of anymore

Just a brief review of the new kids’ adventure film “The Kid Who Would Be King”.

An average middle school student named Alex (Louis Ashbourne Serkis) discovers an ancient sword embedded in concrete at a London demolition site, discovers that it is actually Excalibur, and that he is a descendant of Arthur Pendragon, king of Britain centuries before. He manages to convince a couple of bullies to become his allies, then his knights, after Merlin (played by young Angus Imrie and old Patrick Stewart) shows up and informs Alex and his friend, Bedders, that Arthur’s half-sister Morgan (Rebecca Ferguson of the past two Mission Impossible movies) is planning to return during the upcoming solar eclipse, and reform England into her own kingdom of fire and darkness.

Yep. That’s the plot of what turns out to be a pretty amusing kids’ wish fulfillment fantasy. A couple of interesting notes here: this is the SECOND film from director Joe Cornish, whose first film in 2011, “Attack The Block”, focused on a group of British teens defending their homes from alien invaders. This time, it’s a bunch of 12-to-15 year olds defending their country from an ancient evil from British legend.

The thing I enjoyed about “The Kid Who Would Be King” was just how straightforward it was. Kids get to be heroes, Merlin is literally a hoot as he transforms into an owl with a sneeze and a poof of feathers, Morgana’s army is made up of dead knights and horses who are all decay and flame, and all the good guys get to wear armor! Fun stuff all round.

It’s unfortunate that “The Kid Who Would Be King” will likely disappear from theaters soon (there were barely a dozen people in the showing I attended, but something tells me it will be an adequate time-filler once it hits video. I am giving “The Kid Who Would Be King” 3.5 out of 5 lightsabers, and will be happy to watch it again when it gets the Redbox.

NOTES TO PARENTS (Mild Spoilers): The Kid Who Would Be King is rated PG for adventure style action, brief nudity, and some fairly kid-level scary scenes. When Merlin is first shown in his youthful form, he is naked, seen from the back at a distance, and his behind is kind of obscured by fog. Two kids are pretty mean during a bullying scene. An undead soldier comes out of the ground and attacks Alex in his bedroom. Several more come out of the ground at a demolition site and attack Alex, Bedders, Kaye, and Lance. When we see Morgana the first few times, she appears to be naked, and her body is only covered in roots and vines. Morgana uses roots and vines to bind the kids on more than one occasion. Morgana transforms herself into a fire-breathing demon at least twice. Alex and his “knights” rally the other students at his school to join them in defending the school from an all-out assault by Morgana and her hoards during a solar eclipse. Merlin, in owl form, is blasted with fire by Morgana.

MID- and AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There are no mid- or after-credit scenes.

ADULT ENJOYMENT-O-METER: 6 out of 10.

LIKE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES, and SHARE it with family and friends.

ORB-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 01-27-19 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 02:53 PM

It was enjoyable.