DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647707-parasite-2019-d-bong-joon-ho.html)

Brian T 04-01-20 11:12 AM

Re: Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

:thumbsup: Just because they don't think they're doing it, they're doing it.

dex14 04-08-20 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13692453)
This will be added to Hulu on April 8th.

It’s now available.

fujishig 04-08-20 10:19 AM

The fact that, by some measurement, LA is now has the cleanest air of any major city reminded me of that scene.

windom 09-13-20 12:17 AM

Just watched this and a bit underwhelmed after all of the hype. It was a solid movie, but not the one of the greatest things ever, which is what a lot of people made it sound like.

I gotta ask though, who throws a party in their backyard after a huge rainstorm like that? It would have likely been muddy, though we didn't see any evidence of that. I'm pretty sure it was the day immediately after the rainstorm, unless I missed something.

DaveyJoe 09-14-20 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13804627)
Just watched this and a bit underwhelmed after all of the hype. It was a solid movie, but not the one of the greatest things ever, which is what a lot of people made it sound like.

Really? You failed to manage your expectations.

TomOpus 09-14-20 10:11 AM

Greatest thing ever? It's only a movie.

Coral 09-14-20 10:40 AM

A lot of people have the impression that if a foreign film could win Best Picture - it must be one of the greatest films ever.

I thought it was a very good film - certainly better than all the other nominated films I've seen from that year.

I liked how they used WiFi as a metaphor for the class structure. Internet/WiFi was supposed to be the great equalizer between the poor and rich classes... a way for the poor people to stay in touch with what's going on and a way to better themselves through this way of obtaining knowledge. However, it requires money to get this access... in many cases, more money than poor people can afford - which defeats the idea of it equalizing the classes. The Kims are relegated to trying to use (steal?) the free WiFi that's available. And it's this WiFi access that helps them in their scam (ie. the daughter creating a fake social media account and a fake university degree, etc).

wendersfan 09-14-20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13805202)
A lot of people have the impression that if a foreign film could win Best Picture - it must be one of the greatest films ever.

I thought it was a very good film - certainly better than all the other nominated films I've seen from that year.

The thing about Parasite was - in addition to being a very good movie (I saw it several times in the cinema and got something from every viewing) - it accomplished two things are were fairly remarkable: it was movie that really captured the zeitgeist of how class inequality has become more of a problem and more widespread, and it also showed American audiences that this societal problem is a global one. Much like great sci-fi or fantasy, sometimes the problems of contemporary society are better illuminated by taking them and placing them in an alien or foreign milieu. Parasite did that perfectly.

Paff 09-14-20 02:20 PM

I gotta ask though, who throws a party in their backyard after a huge rainstorm like that? It would have likely been muddy, though we didn't see any evidence of that. I'm pretty sure it was the day immediately after the rainstorm, unless I missed something.

Now, this is from a different movie altogether, but I had a similar question. In The Revenge of Lard-Ass Hogan, did Lard-Ass have to pay to get into the pie-eating contest?

story 09-14-20 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 13805270)
The thing about Parasite was - in addition to being a very good movie (I saw it several times in the cinema and got something from every viewing) - it accomplished two things are were fairly remarkable: it was movie that really captured the zeitgeist of how class inequality has become more of a problem and more widespread, and it also showed American audiences that this societal problem is a global one. Much like great sci-fi or fantasy, sometimes the problems of contemporary society are better illuminated by taking them and placing them in an alien or foreign milieu. Parasite did that perfectly.

I both agree and know you just wanted to sound cool by using "milieu."

wendersfan 09-16-20 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13805558)
I both agree and know you just wanted to sound cool by using "milieu."

1. No mention of the word 'zeitgeist'?
  2. You've spoken to me personally so you know that's the way I talk in real life.

Why So Blu? 09-16-20 11:00 AM

Who do you think? Rich people that don't give a fuck.

Josh-da-man 12-26-23 09:29 PM

It's been reported on twitter that Lee Sun-Kyun has passed away at the age of 48 from an apparent suicide. :(

Brian T 12-27-23 02:57 AM

I saw him in what is now his final film, SLEEP, at TIFF back in September. He was as good in that as he was in PARASITE.

More details about his death here:
https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/art...newsIdx=365886

Earlier reporting about his police questioning:
https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=365662

Sadly, he’s only the latest in a long line of Korean entertainers to respond this way to either the pressure of the industry or some kind of scandal (which often seem insignificant in the greater scheme of things, but culturally seem to be insurmountable).

TheBang 12-27-23 04:35 AM

That's crazy and tragic that someone could be driven to suicide because of persecution for drug use.

Runaway 12-27-23 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 14367607)
That's crazy and tragic that someone could be driven to suicide because of persecution for drug use.

Depression is more likely to be the driver, for both the drug use and the suicide.

RichC2 12-27-23 06:19 AM

A lot of other sites have been stating it was probably more the info that intentionally leaked out - massage parlor hook ups, etc; - than the marijuana charge. Either way he was harassed into this.

Decker 12-27-23 09:06 AM

So sad. He was great in Parasite (as was everyone else).

asianxcore 12-27-23 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14367547)
It's been reported on twitter that Lee Sun-Kyun has passed away at the age of 48 from an apparent suicide. :(

:(

GoldenJCJ 12-27-23 01:41 PM

Sad news.

The thread bump reminds me I still need to check out Parasite. Looks like it’s on MAX.

TomOpus 12-27-23 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 14367722)
Sad news.

The thread bump reminds me I still need to check out Parasite. Looks like it’s on MAX.

Yes you do. I got it on VUDU when it was first available.

IBJoel 12-27-23 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 14367613)
A lot of other sites have been stating it was probably more the info that intentionally leaked out - massage parlor hook ups, etc; - than the marijuana charge. Either way he was harassed into this.

Korea is BRUTAL in regards to how they treat stars in some ways

cultshock 12-27-23 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 14367607)

The South Korean government is particularly draconian regarding even soft drug use (e.g. cannabis). People over there have had their lives ruined over even the smallest transgression relating to their drug laws. Also, public shaming is a big part of the culture.

fujishig 12-27-23 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 14367743)
The South Korean government is particularly draconian regarding even soft drug use (e.g. cannabis). People over there have had their lives ruined over even the smallest transgression relating to their drug laws. Also, public shaming is a big part of the culture.

Meanwhile a relatively large percentage of their population could be categorized as alcoholics, but there's not the same social stigma.

kahuna 12-27-23 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 14367742)
Korea is BRUTAL in regards to how they treat stars in some ways

No joke so many Korean Celebs have taken their lives. So tragic, RIP Lee Sun-Kyun. He was married to Korean actress Jeon Hye-Jin and had 2 children.