Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.29%
22.45%
40.82%
14.29%
6.12%
2.04%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

So, people who said Halle would fuck this franchise up are eating their words now? lol
Old 05-17-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by csant
So, people who said Halle would fuck this franchise up are eating their words now? lol
Pretty much. She was definitely a highlight for me in this film.
Old 05-17-19, 10:27 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

She was phenomenal. Perfect for the role, IMO.

Also... did people really think she'd fuck it up? Or just "trolls"?
Old 05-17-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Oh, people got mad she was in this movie. I'm glad she rocked it. I can't wait to see it tonight. She is 52 too.... omfg. Halle I would love you right. lol
Old 05-17-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I love the movies but I do feel dragging out the same story for 3 movies...is a bit tiring. But yea Halle is magic on screen ALWAYS. And she shines in this. Watch the youtube video of her training for this....beyond stunning.

Last edited by hdtv00; 05-17-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I am working our regional Comicon this weekend, so I won’t see it till Tuesday, at the earliest.
Old 05-17-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Really liked it a lot - tons of great fighting in it. A few things that pushed it a bit too far (wandering the desert, for example) but way more that was good. I might like JW2 and 1 a bit more as overall movies but this had the best action by far. The knife stuff at the beginning was actually my favorite part so I was a little bummed that was the highlight for me but lots of good stuff happened later too. Might like it better on a rewatch.
Old 05-17-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Goddamn the scene with all the armored dudes was insane!
Old 05-18-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it a lot, but I've heard people saying it's the best of the 3 - I wouldn't say that. First one is still my favorite. 3 is neck & neck with 2, but I think 2 might even be a smidge better.
Old 05-18-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

The desert stuff took it down a notch for me, just seemed a bit cheesy and didn’t really fit in with the rest of Wick’s very urban world. Surprised Berry was only in it briefly with all the publicity. I actually thought the first half hour and the last were the best,
it sagged a little in middle. Still great fun but I actually put the first two ahead of it.
Old 05-18-19, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just got back from this and it was fucking badass!

Had me like:

Man, from the opening, with that library fight, I was hooked! They've obviously set it up for part 4, so I wonder if that anthology cable show based on the Continental will come out before that? The Dolby Cinema screening was great, too.
Old 05-18-19, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Loved the book fight in the library. I'm sure most of you here don't know, but that actor is actually an NBA player who plays for the Philadelphia 76ers. I thought I recognized him when he approached Wick. He's 7 feet 3 inches.
Old 05-18-19, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

It was great to see Mark Dacascos in a big, showy role in a Hollywood blockbuster. This is a guy who has really deserved more bigscreen success than he's gotten over the years. I know that the role was originally cast with Hiroyuki Sanada, but that he had to pull out to due to injury. Sanada would have been cool too, but probably wouldn't have brought as much comedy to the role as Dacascos did.

The knives/glass cases fight scene was amazing. The part where Wick shoves the blade in the guy's eye got a loud reaction.

The fight scene with Boban -- a homage to the Bruce Lee/Abdul Jabbar fight?

Was a little letdown by Wick's duel with the two guys from The Raid 2. It was way too obvious during the fight that the two guys were holding back and doing whatever they could to let Keanu win.
Old 05-18-19, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
It was great to see Mark Dacascos in a big, showy role in a Hollywood blockbuster. This is a guy who has really deserved more bigscreen success than he's gotten over the years.
Damn straight!!! I knew Dacascos was going to give it his all.

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Was a little letdown by Wick's duel with the two guys from The Raid 2. It was way too obvious during the fight that the two guys were holding back and doing whatever they could to let Keanu win.
Yeah.... I thought that was the point because they were huge fanboys and had tremendous respect for Wick.
Old 05-18-19, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

That fall at the end would have killed a Terminator. It was just so brutal. The fact that John Wick survived it was pretty silly. I couldn't suspend my disbelief on that. It was just too much. The amount of damage Wick absorbs in general, that has absolutely no effect on him, is ridiculous. Then again there is an underground network of hobo assassins in the film, so maybe I'm being a little harsh.

The concierge going out of his way telling Wick he needed armor piercing ammo, followed immediately by a scene where the concierge leads a team of Continental goons, who DON'T have armor piercing ammo, was maybe the dumbest part of the whole movie.

The whole elder in the desert, who sits above the high table thing felt like a missed opportunity for a good cameo.

The first 30 minutes of the film were absolutely amazing. The action was really good throughout. I enjoyed it overall. But it was far from perfect.

6.5/10
Old 05-18-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That fall at the end would have killed a Terminator. It was just so brutal. The fact that John Wick survived it was pretty silly. I couldn't suspend my disbelief on that. It was just too much. The amount of damage Wick absorbs in general, that has absolutely no effect on him, is ridiculous. Then again there is an underground network of hobo assassins in the film, so maybe I'm being a little harsh.

The concierge going out of his way telling Wick he needed armor piercing ammo, followed immediately by a scene where the concierge leads a team of Continental goons, who DON'T have armor piercing ammo, was maybe the dumbest part of the whole movie.
Well, I initially thought the seven slices had killed Fishburne, so I let that slide. Wick will become one of them now.

I think you're mis-remembering the concierge scene. He initially tells Wick that this other hand gun (I forget the model) will do a better job than his regular gun. Then they proceed to go in where the concierge's men all get killed. Then he and Wick regroup and come back with the shotguns and armor piercing shells.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 05-18-19 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-18-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's The Fucking Bogeyman... of course he was going to survive that fall. I'm sure Michael Myers would have. He also had those special pills the Keymaker gave him at the beginning of the film.
Old 05-18-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
He's The Fucking Bogeyman... of course he was going to survive that fall. I'm sure Michael Myers would have. He also had those special pills the Keymaker gave him at the beginning of the film.
Baba Yaga!
Old 05-18-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Saw it yesterday. Just a great action packed popcorn flick from start to finish. Gunfights, hand to hand, knives, swords, motorcycle chase, oh my. The sound was great too. I think you could probably see this movie without seeing the first 2 previously and it would still be very entertaining.
I rewatched the previous 2 the night before.

I asked my wife if she liked it. She shook her head no. I said, you didn't like it, why? She said, it was all action... all he did was fight the whole movie.

Edit: Dammit, I forgot to mention Halle. She was great too. I saw one of the BTS clips of her practicing/training on the range beforehand.
I would drink her backwash any day!

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 05-18-19 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm sure most of you here don't know, but that actor is actually an NBA player who plays for the Philadelphia 76ers. I thought I recognized him when he approached Wick. He's 7 feet 3 inches.
Ha, Boban! I only really knew because I follow him on Twitter. He's a character and pretty funny. If I didn't know he was in it, I would have been like I know that guy from somewhere...
Old 05-18-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Wick doesn't have time to make love.
Old 05-18-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The fall didn't kill him (and the seven cuts didn't kill Fishburn) because they're in the fucking Matrix. Duh!
Think about it... they kill people out in the open without average citizens batting an eye, zero cops amidst all the craziness, assassins just popping up out of nowhere, now he's in Morpheus' hands. It's a Matrix side-story!
Old 05-18-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
The fall didn't kill him (and the seven cuts didn't kill Fishburn) because they're in the fucking Matrix. Duh!
Think about it... they kill people out in the open without average citizens batting an eye, zero cops amidst all the craziness, assassins just popping up out of nowhere, now he's in Morpheus' hands. It's a Matrix side-story!

Old 05-19-19, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Could someone explain to me what was going on near the beginning with Wick and the revolvers? It looked cool, but why was he taking them apart and reassembling them? What was he checking when he spun the chamber next to his ear?
Old 05-19-19, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think you're mis-remembering the concierge scene. He initially tells Wick that this other hand gun (I forget the model) will do a better job than his regular gun. Then they proceed to go in where the concierge's men all get killed. Then he and Wick regroup and come back with the shotguns and armor piercing shells.
ahh, yeah you might be right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.