Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

1917 (2019, D: Sam Mendes) S: George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

1917 (2019, D: Sam Mendes) S: George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 07:47 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
re: 1917 (2019, D: Sam Mendes) S: George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman

This Golden Globe winner opens wide this week. Currently 90% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1917_2019/
Old 01-08-20, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Not sure yet if I'll catch this Thursday night or Friday at noon.
Old 01-09-20, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

My local IMAX isn't showing 1917 this weekend - opting instead to keep Rise of Skywalker on that screen (although, granted, they may have a contract with Disney to do so). Disappointed, as I really would have went out of my way to see this one in IMAX. Just going to find the next best screen available.
Old 01-09-20, 08:48 PM

Re: 1917 (2019, D: Sam Mendes) S: George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman

This was pretty awesome. I love one-take stuff so I was impressed. Sure, you can see the seams if you know where to look... but there are things that happen within these takes that are amazing. Crazy feats they accomplished. On a technical level, this is exemplary. Deakins will win another Oscar.

There is one sequence halfway through that is just glorious to look at. Absolutely beautiful.

Now... if you take out all the technical stuff, is still a great film? I'm not sure... The two leads are great. The direction is great. But not an incredible amount of character development. I didn't mind that though. Like Dunkirk, this is a film that makes you experience war. And it is a fantastic theatre experience.

Is it Best Picture of the Year worthy? Sure. I wouldn't be annoyed like last year if it won. But there are two other films from masters that are probably more worthy.

I'm a little surprised George MacKay's name isn't in contention for a Best Actor nom. It is a really great performance... and physically demanding.

Last edited by dex14; 01-10-20 at 08:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (01-21-20)
Old 01-09-20, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
My local IMAX isn't showing 1917 this weekend - opting instead to keep Rise of Skywalker on that screen (although, granted, they may have a contract with Disney to do so). Disappointed, as I really would have went out of my way to see this one in IMAX. Just going to find the next best screen available.

Same here. Local AMC is just doing its best to continue with poor decisions and poor service around here. The AMC an hour to the north has 1917 on its IMAX. Not headed back home this weekend though.

Debating whether to wait a week or just catch it on a normal screen.
Old 01-09-20, 09:18 PM

Star Wars still has all the IMAX screens around me until next week when Bad Boys comes out. Did Disney lock them down for a month? I wouldn’t be surprised.

1917 is in the Dolby Cinema though.
Old 01-09-20, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yes, 1917 will be on IMAX screens starting 1/24. Hell, Bad Boys 3 is playing in IMAX here next week, so the schedule is screwey. 1917 is in Dolby Cinema, though, so that's where I will see it in.
Old 01-09-20, 11:43 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I'm hoping to go to an afternoon show in Dolby on Friday. I like IMAX, it's big, but the Dolby sound is just great and the screens seem pretty big comparably, at least in my neighborhood AMC.
Old 01-10-20, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 982 Likes on 692 Posts

I'm pretty much with dex on this one. I will add that at times it felt like watching someone play Call of Duty. I was also surprised that the tension level wasn't higher at times. As intense as it was, I didn't have that same pit in my stomach like I did watching something like Sicario or the raid sequence in Zero Dark Thirty. That said, there were a couple of moments that I literally jumped out of my seat. The climax is pretty emotional as well, even though the money shot is spoiled in the trailer.

This was my first Dolby experience and it was mind-blowing. Anyone with an interest in seeing this needs to see it in a theater. Like Gravity, a film I loved but have not revisited since seeing in theaters, I'm not sure how it will play on the small screen. It feels like Mendes giving a big double bird to the Netflix model.
Old 01-10-20, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I think because it takes place in 'real time', not all moments were as tension filled as much as there was just a sense of urgency. But I certainly felt it when they get to and cross the front.

I still think the process it took to shoot this film was amazing...
Originally Posted by Sam Mendes
We couldn’t do anything until we had rehearsed, because we had to measure the distance that every scene took. We had to measure the journey. So we couldn’t build a trench until we’d walked the distance that the trench needed to be, and then apply the same rule to the no man’s land and the quarries, and the fields and orchards and farm houses and canals and towns at night. All of them could not be built or even conceived until we knew how long they should be. And we didn’t know how long they should be until we’d acted it. So we started the process by rehearsing in empty fields, holding scripts, and marking out the journey with flags and poles.And only then were we able to actually move forward. So we were rehearsing for months off and on, but really what we were doing is including the actors in what would be a normal pre-production process, for six or eight months. We had them there from day one. That, frankly, is a luxury not normally afforded, because actors are busy. But I made sure that when I offered these two lads the role, they understood it was a long job, and that they had to be there as part of the team, from the very beginning of pre-production. So that’s how we did it.
Old 01-10-20, 02:03 PM

Here is the extended BTS video:

Old 01-10-20, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Now... if you take out all the technical stuff, is still a great film? I'm not sure... The two leads are great. The direction is great. But not an incredible amount of character development. I didn't mind that though. Like Dunkirk, this is a film that makes you experience war. And it is a fantastic theatre experience.

Is it Best Picture of the Year worthy? Sure. I wouldn't be annoyed like last year if it won. But there are two other films from masters that are probably more worthy.
I just got home from it, and this is pretty spot-on with where I ended up. The sheer achivement of the film was impressive and a wonderful film experience. That alone, to my mind, should put it in the nomination category. However, did it really move me, and will I still be thinking about it a month from now? Not sure.

I love that a movie like this was made, and I hope it reaps the financial rewards that ensure more movies like this. But it didn't hit me like "Parasite" or "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".
Old 01-10-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 982 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I think because it takes place in 'real time', not all moments were as tension filled as much as there was just a sense of urgency. But I certainly felt it when they get to and cross the front.
I'm fine with there being down moments. I just mean that when the tension was ratcheted up, it wasn't quite what I thought it might have been. When they're searching through the German trenches being one such example. I've only seen it once, and I'd have to do a much more in depth analysis (which in reality I'm never going to do), but I wonder if the "one shot" gimmick had a part in this since there was no way to cut in order to build tension through editing. Again, I'm not being very specific. It's just a vague feeling I had. It's still amazingly impressive for what it is and has more than it's fair share of tension.
Old 01-10-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seeing this in a couple of hours in Dolby Cinema.
Old 01-10-20, 03:01 PM

I just got out of it myself and really enjoyed it. It is technically incredible. The art and set direction, the cinematography, the seamless shot with sly seams, all of it amazing. All movies take work. This movie's work is 100% on the screen. It's hard to watch it without admiring it for its creation process.

It's really, really good, I personally can't call it great and wish I could. It probably is great and I'm missing it. See, maybe it never hit 100% tense for me because of the money shot in the trailer. I honestly think it was spoiled for me by a combination of the trailer and the screenshot AMC used for the tickets on the app. Really unfortunate, and I wish it hadn't happened. I think I just need to stop watching anything about movies. As soon as I get a whiff that something looks good, I need to make up my mind and go dark. My spouse doesnt really watch any of this stuff and when she sees movies, she's always surprised and has a good ride. Meanwhile, I feel like I've already seen too much of something like A Quiet Place Part II. I didn't need to see the trailer to know I want to see it. Now I feel fairly spoiled, sigh.

I'd forgotten Roger Deakins is the cinematographer. Yep. Give it to him. It's for him, period.

Edit to add: I liked the ending a lot, all three beats. They really worked for me and that's how a story like this should wrap up, all close to the characters in a story already close to the characters.

Last edited by story; 01-10-20 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

As everyone’s saying, a technical marvel, no doubt. No problems with character-development, But I was expecting a bigger & better payoff at the end (It felt like the crowd I saw it with wanted that too)

And I don’t know if it was intentional, but I spotted a few Good,Bad,Ugly influences.

Old 01-11-20, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Watched it in the Dolby Cinema. Thought it was really technically impressive. Didn't love the story and didn't emotionally connect with it. Also I thought it wasn't as good as Dunkirk. Still I enjoyed the movie and thought some shots were very impressive. Really an achievement in film making even if it wasn't my favorite movie of the year. I won't be pulling for it, but if it does win BP it won't be a travesty.
Old 01-11-20, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw it earlier today and two scenes in the film had me like:

I normally don't play that sentimental shit, but maybe because it was a near sold-out show and I wasn't the only one, may have had something to do with it. I think Deakins has a shot on winning that Oscar for cinematography, though.

One of the things that made me cringe early on where how they had what appeared to be
Spoiler:
columns of bodies mashed into dog meat that looked like shit, bone, flesh, all stacked up and spread out over the terrain. In certain scenes you could even see dead soldiers' skeletal faces peaking out through the muck.

Old 01-11-20, 07:20 AM

Well the GG win certainly helped this out. Probably going to be making around $30-35mil over the weekend.
Old 01-11-20, 08:21 AM

The site keeps telling me there are posts after mine but I can't see them, so I'm posting this to see what happens.

Edit: now I can see everything, weird.
Old 01-11-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It's been glitching out in weird ways recently, I tried posting a quote yesterday but it wouldn't let me override a quote from a previous post of mine in it, it was as weird as it sounds.

This is headed for $37m this weekend, that is an excellent pull.
Old 01-11-20, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I saw this last night on a regular screen at Regal. It was pretty good. Some really intense scenes, especially that last sequence when Schofield was trying to relay the message and ran through the chaos.

But, I do want to see it again on a bigger screen, which this seems designed for. So I'll probably check it out again in Dolby.

The cast is mostly unknowns, but I thought they did a great job.
Old 01-11-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Saw it this afternoon and liked it, definitely a top 10 film of the year...but a part of me also feels letdown. I was expecting this to blow me away and easily be my #1 film of 2019, but it's not. One thing I think it is a lock for is the cinematography Oscar. Deakins is a master.

Old 01-11-20, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We have tickets for tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it.
Old 01-11-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I saw Bombshell, and a friend asked me if there were "shocking" revelations in the movie. I said that what is revealed about FOX News is pretty much how I expected women were treated there, and I probably thought it was worse.

Point is, I saw 1917 today, and didn't need or want a gut punch demonstrating to me that war is awful.

I thought this was a great movie. I was completely involved in the drama from start to finish, and while I didn't sit there weeping, I felt it was a very emotional experience.

Of course, the technical mastery of the production including design, cinematography, direction, and editing, was incredible. To me the decision to present it as a single, real-time shot was intended to immerse the viewer in the experience as the protagonists were experiencing it. A traditional presentation would have provided more opportunities to ratchet up the tension and emotion, but that's all manipulation tricks.

I think Mendes is making a significant point about the war with his film-making choice.
Spoiler:
This was the experience of one soldier over the course of one day, in the midst of a war that had 10s of millions of combatants fighting for over four years, and major battles battles that saw casualties in the hundreds of thousands. And while this particular "push over the top" was halted before it turned into an outright slaughter, it does not mean that the lives saved were only getting a temporary reprieve from certain deaths that would happen in the next battle.
We're used to stories were great heroism is recognized as incredibly impactful, but Blake's heroism might rightly have existed in a vacuum, meaningful only to him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.