DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Directors Who Haven’t Made A Bad Movie Club (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647178-directors-who-haven%92t-made-bad-movie-club.html)

Toddarino 03-23-19 12:40 AM

The Directors Who Haven’t Made A Bad Movie Club

So I guess in anticipation of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, I got to thinking that QT hasn’t made a bad film yet. I know Death Proof usually isn’t a favorite, but I don’t think it can be classified as bad IMO.

So with a minimum of five feature films, what directors haven’t made a bad film?
Quentin Tarantino
Edgar Wright

I’d love to put David Fincher in here, but Alien 3...(I enjoy it, but it ain’t good)

andicus 03-23-19 03:02 AM

Re: The Directors Who Haven’t Made A Bad Movie Club

John Duigan (The Year My Voice Broke, Flirting, Lawn Dogs), though I'll admit I haven't seen a few of his oldest films, due to lack of availability.

Thomas McCarthy (The Station Agent, The Visitor, Win Win, Spotlight). I suppose some might argue that The Cobbler was bad, but I enjoyed it.

Hazel Motes 03-23-19 05:00 AM

Jean Pierre Melville
Andrei Tarkovsky
Charles Laughton
Elaine May

John Cassavetes ,Sergio Leone, and Stanley Kubrick come very close. Leone's first film, Kubricks first film and Cassavetes last film were all sub par.

More contemporary filmmakers, I'm sure I'll get pushback on these:

Whit Stillman
Quentin Tarantino
Paul Thomas Anderson
Wes Anderson
Jeff Nichols
Kelly Reichardt
Aaron Katz
Vincent Gallo
Tom Ford
Andrew Dominick

Mike86 03-23-19 09:56 AM

I would agree with Tarantino. Even if Death Proof isn't a favorite it isn't really a bad movie. He's the one who jumps out as most consistent to me.

Tempted to say Scorsese as I haven't seen a bad film by him, but I also haven't seen everything he's done. For as long as he's been around though he doesn't seem to have many that are consodered clunkers.

Decker 03-23-19 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13521389)
Elaine May

Come on man, Ishtar? I mean it may not be as bad as its reputation but it wasn't good.

I will add two time Oscar winners Inaratu, Curon and (maybe) Ang Lee to the list -- depending on how you feel about Hulk and Billy Lynn's Long Walk.

Also Warren Beatty (I liked Rules Don't Apply, though it was clearly his worst movie).

majorjoe23 03-23-19 10:12 AM

I guess it depends on if you count Four Rooms as one of Tarrantino’s Films (the count in his trailers doesn’t seem to).

The Questyen 03-23-19 10:12 AM

Death Proof is one of QT's best movies. I'm seriously wearing a Death Proof t-shirt as I post this.

Finisher 03-23-19 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13521453)
(maybe) Ang Lee to the list -- depending on how you feel about Hulk and Billy Lynn's Long Walk.

Billy Lynn's Long Walk was a total piece of shit. Was shocked Ang Lee made it.

No mention of Denis Villeneuve?

Would include Peter Weir, although Green Card is pretty meh.

Love Scorsese but Boxcar Bertha and his spiritual films Kundun, Last Temptation and Silence are his weakest efforts. His substandard efforts are still interesting so ..

Mike Flanagan is another.

Darjeeling would knock off Wes Anderson for me.

Spiderbite 03-23-19 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13521459)
Death Proof is one of QT's best movies. I'm seriously wearing a Death Proof t-shirt as I post this.

Goes to show that everyone has a different opinion. I hate Death Proof when it came out and I actually watched Grindhouse two weeks ago and guess what...still hated Death Proof.

Edgar Wright's The World's End was an unwatchable mess for me. Granted that could have been because Hot Fuzz and Shaun were so damn good. I haven't given it a second chance yet.

I honestly can't think of any director that hasn't had a misstep. Can you be a good filmmaker without at least one turd on your resume?

Hokeyboy 03-23-19 11:35 AM

I'd agree with Denis Villenueve. Fincher is out because of the Benjamin Button shitshow.

Tarantino never made a bad movie, but he made two that I think are lesser efforts (Django Unchained and Death Proof). Neither are bad, but they are weak compared to the rest of the ouvre. Still, he applies.

Kubrick is a no-brainer.

The Coen Brothers made "Hail Caesar" which, unfortunately, sucks. I'm even mostly forgiving of their Ladykillers remake and Intolerable Cruelty, but Hail Caesar is IMO their only bad movie.

IMO Nolan hasn't made a bad movie. Interstellar is his weakest but it still mostly works. Others may disagree. Maybe not stvn.

Wes Anderson has, IMO, never made a bad movie. But I was slightly disappointed with Isle of Dogs.

Spiderbite 03-23-19 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13521493)
I'd agree with Denis Villenueve. Fincher is out because of the Benjamin Button shitshow.

IMO Nolan hasn't made a bad movie. Interstellar is his weakest but it still mostly works. Others may disagree. Maybe not stvn.

Good call on Nolan. :up:

OldBoy 03-23-19 11:57 AM

Tarantino (though JB a little subpar for me)
Villenueve
and haven't disliked a Paul Thomas Anderson or Wes Anderson movie yet.
Also, love John Badham as he hasn't missed for me (back when he was making movies and all that).
Just about anything Polanski, Coppola (Francis or Sophia actually), Scorsese...

Nesbit 03-23-19 12:03 PM

I like Tomorrowland but it would probably keep Brad Bird out of the club for most. Outside of that one movie though the rest are pretty universally loved.

OldBoy 03-23-19 12:10 PM

don't think i've hated a Leone, Lumet, Eastwood directed film yet...

majorjoe23 03-23-19 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13521492)
I honestly can't think of any director that hasn't had a misstep. Can you be a good filmmaker without at least one turd on your resume?

Charles Laughton.

Decker 03-23-19 12:23 PM

I haven't seen or heard much about the Bad News Bears remake and the delays have me worried about Where'd You Go Bernadette , but as of now I'm fine with including Richard Linklater in the club.

GoldenJCJ 03-23-19 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13521493)

IMO, Benjamin Button is Fincher’s best film. :lol: Of course this is coming from someone who has tried watching Zodiac several times and have been bored to tears each time.

I agree with you about Nolan though.

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13521511)
Eastwood directed film yet...

Have you seen The 15:17 to Paris yet? Yikes!

inri222 03-23-19 12:34 PM

Leone - The Colossus of Rhodes

Lumet - Gloria, The Wiz, Guilty As Sin

Eastwood - Hereafter, 15:17, Jersey Boys

inri222 03-23-19 12:37 PM

Depending in how you feel about Dune, David Lynch

Depending on how you feel about Fast Company, David Cronenberg

melasnus 03-23-19 12:37 PM

I admit I haven't seen every movie ever made.
Therefore, rather than stating "NEVER made a bad movie," I'll go with "NEVER made more than 1 bad movie" (Hey, what can I say? I'm lazy).
Tarantino, Scorsese, Kubrick, Coen Bros., jump right out at me.

More criteria: must have made > 5 films and been around > 10 years.

Hokeyboy 03-23-19 12:43 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d66914f4eb.jpg

Lumet is a Master, but The Wiz is a shitshow.

Hokeyboy 03-23-19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13521525)
Depending in how you feel about Dune Inland Empire, David Lynch

Fixed :) Although I love Dune, warts and all. Inland Empire, though.... eesh.

Spiderbite 03-23-19 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13521513)

Charles Laughton.

I only see two movies directed by him???

Adam Tyner 03-23-19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13521492)
Edgar Wright's The World's End was an unwatchable mess for me. Granted that could have been because Hot Fuzz and Shaun were so damn good. I haven't given it a second chance yet.

I feel the same way.

rbrown498 03-23-19 01:03 PM

I'm finding everyone's lists incredibly skewed toward still-living and -working directors. What's up with that? There are only two directors mentioned in all of the posts above that made a pre-1950 film, and one of those was uncredited. Where's the love for Hitchcock? Keaton? Ford? Hawks? Browning? Wise? Kazan? Bergman? Whale? Chaplin? Curtiz? Stevens? Capra? Wilder? Truffaut? Kurosawa?

I'm not saying that everything that the above-listed directors made is pure platinum, but I think that a case could be made for each of them that they don't have any out-and-out stinkers in their filmographies.