DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Directors Who Haven’t Made A Bad Movie Club (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647178-directors-who-haven%92t-made-bad-movie-club.html)

Decker 04-02-19 03:04 PM

Re: The Directors Who Haven’t Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Dash (Post 13526823)
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Cuaron yet. I haven't seen anything before Y tu mama tambien but everything since then has been stellar.

Post #5, pal

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13521453)

I will add two time Oscar winners Inaratu, Curon and (maybe) Ang Lee to the list -- depending on how you feel about Hulk and Billy Lynn's Long Walk.

Also Warren Beatty (I liked Rules Don't Apply, though it was clearly his worst movie).

Finisher 04-02-19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Time Warrior (Post 13526461)
Taking the rule noted above of nothing with an IMDB ranking under 6.5 I note the only director I could find was Orson Welles who has nothing under 7.0 amongst theatrical released films he directed (at least credited). If you include uncredited directorial work and some of his short fragments that does not apply but all his completed feature films including The Other Side of the Wind make the cut.

Mr. Arkadin and The Stranger have extremely generous ratings on there.

Tarkovsky has no film under 7 as far as I can see.

Great Expectations is a 6.8, so Cuaron qualifies.

Might need to bump up the bar to 7.

Franchot 04-02-19 04:09 PM

I'll throw out Albert Brook's name.

Although he isn't know for making great movies, I've found every one of his films enjoyable and have never been disappointed after watching any of them. (And, yes, that includes Looking For Comedy In The Muslim World which was panned by several critics. I found it to be as funny as hell.)

JeffTheAlpaca 04-05-19 01:45 AM

It is hard to like every movie in a director's canon.

I never saw the BFG the movie Spielberg did.

Scorsese and Oliver Stone might be the closet to where I liked the majority of their movies though Stone probably had more failures.

TomOpus 04-05-19 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13528353)
I never saw the BFG the movie Spielberg did.

I haven't either but I've seen Hook.

bralph 04-05-19 08:08 AM

Kathryn Bigelow? Blue Steel and K-19 aren't great, but I don't remember them being bad either. I never saw Weight of Water though.

Mabuse 04-05-19 09:36 AM

Blue Steel and K19 are excellent.

Finisher 04-05-19 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by bralph (Post 13528416)
Kathryn Bigelow? Blue Steel and K-19 aren't great, but I don't remember them being bad either. I never saw Weight of Water though.

Someone mentioned her. Weight of Water is 5.9 on IMDb and, having seen it, can confirm it's not good.

inri222 04-05-19 01:20 PM

Weight of Water is terrible. Not a fan of Zero Dark Thirty, but it's just not my kind of film.