DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646975-captain-marvel-boden-fleck-2019-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

devilshalo 03-08-19 01:22 PM

Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I liked it, but felt there were some scenes or something missing to make it more cohesive.

movieguru 03-08-19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13512731)
Just got back tonight as well. I gave it 3 1/2 stars and probably between a B and B-. It was fine, but a little formulaic. It's lower tier MCU like Doctor Strange and Ant Man. Brie was a little stiff, but I don't think she was awful. I blame the 2 directors who are obviously very inexperienced and didn't get the best out of her. I did like the humor and the 90's nostalgia and I did think she had some good scenes with Jackson.

One thing I wasn't really clear on. How did Fury lose his eye? I saw it was swollen and the Fluerkin scratched it, but I didn't see how he lost it.

I liked the tease at the end with Fury's pager being brought back with the remaining Avengers trying to figure out what it was and then she re-appears. That was a good tease.

and yeah the Stan Lee tribute with the Marvel Studios animation was very cool and I liked his cameo.

He injured his eye earlier in the film and then to top things off the alien cat scratched him in the already injured. I think it's implied that his eye became infected due to one or both of the injured he sustained to it during the movie. I guess they felt they didn't need to go into great detail about his eye, but just make a passing reference that this was when he lost his eye.

dex14 03-08-19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13513049)
Thanks! That's exactly the line I was looking for. He lost an eye because he trusted a cat?

Clearly they fucked up.

greydttwo 03-08-19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13513049)
Thanks! That's exactly the line I was looking for. He lost an eye because he trusted a cat?

In context, it still fits though

Why So Blu? 03-08-19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by greydttwo (Post 13513087)

In context, it still fits though

Correct. I'm not a fan of the way he lost the eye, but a Flerkin is a giant fucking HP Lovecraftian spike tentacled being that turns into a cat.

JimRochester 03-08-19 02:47 PM

Just got back and found it very enjoyable. A good mid-tier Marvel movie. I saw the twist coming but it still cool. Brie is a cutie. She reminds me a bit of a young Maureen McCormick. I attributed her demeanor to the whole military, amnesia backdrop. The beginning was a bit confusing with the memory flashes and flashbacks. It all makes sense after the mid-point. This will be a keeper when it's released.

DJariya 03-08-19 04:38 PM

ultimaton 03-08-19 04:58 PM

I thought it was ok. Not bad, but not great either. It's being compared a lot to Ant-Man and Dr. Strange, but both of those had really great visual moments -- the size-changing battle with Yellowjacket, or the dimensional traveling back and forth -- that Captain Marvel was lacking, so I'd put it just a notch below those two in terms of enjoyment.

I really enjoyed the Skrulls and that they played with our general expectations on how they'd be portrayed.

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13512723)
I'm on the side that Larson is wooden, not because of the part, but because of bad acting. In contrast, everyone else was fucking great. For me, Larson brought the movie down one star.

Pros
- They used one of my favorite Skrull stories from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, issue #5. The whole Skrull refugee families was shown in this issue while Earth was going through the Secret Invasion storyline. Cosmos was protecting these Skrulls in a similar war Mar-Vell did in the movie.
- As I mentioned, everyone else, with the exception of Larson, was great in the film.
- They kept the spirit of the Kelly Sue Deckonick Captain Marvel stories

Cons
-Brie Larsons acting brings the movie down. She wasn't as bad as January Jones on X-Men First Class, but was pretty close to it.
-Man, did they ham fisted the fact that the movie take place in the 90's. Okay, we get it, the movie is around 1994/95. You don't need to remind us with the loud, sometimes out of place soundtrack
- I really like Annette Benning but they fucking did a disservice to Mar-Vell, the original Captain Marvel. This swerve was similar (in a bad way) to the Iron Man 3 Mandarin one. Mar-Vell was an integral part of Marvel Comics in the 70's and taking him out of the big MCU picture is just wrong.
- They now contradicted themselves/ made things more convoluted in how SHIELD/Fury ended up with the Tesseract. I though SHIELD kept the Tesseract after Howard Stark recovered it from the Artic in 1944. How did Mar-Vell ended up with the Tesseract then?

Also, didn't Fury said something about Alexander Pierce having something to do with his left eye missing on the Winter Soldier movie?

Maybe more convoluted, but not a contradiction IMO. Avengers established it was kept at and experimented with at Project: Pegasus, so Mar-Vell would've had access to it as Doctor Lawson. They didn't get it from Mar-Vell, so much as they got it back from her.

DJariya 03-08-19 05:07 PM

I like how the Agents of Shield Facebook page put this up on their site and some people are freaking out and getting pissed regarding Coulson. :lol:

Spoiler:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FAgentsofShield%2Fposts%2F2259917257406443%3A0&width=5 00" width="500" height="613" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

DJariya 03-08-19 06:53 PM

Paul Feig's take on the review bomber trolls:

Draven 03-08-19 10:25 PM

Loved it. Brie is fantastic in the role and her character is a total badass. Loved that there wasn’t a hint of her needing a romantic subplot with anyone.

I never read any Captain Marvel books so I didn’t care what happened to the character - it all worked for me. Fun to see Jackson and Gregg as young SHIELD agents and the 90s setting was very fun.

Stan Lee cameo was great :lol: and the tribute at the beginning was very nice.
Can’t wait to see more of her in Endgame.

nickdawgy 03-09-19 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13513061)
Clearly they fucked up.

Not really. I believe he says to the cat “I’m gonna trust you” or something.

I loved the movie. Larson was cute and a badass. It was very funny as well and I liked the music. The biggest continuity error I picked up was Fury said he was an agent of SHIELD in the beginning. But in Iron Man, Coulson is telling Tony the name (Strategic blah blah) and Tony says it’s a mouthful. He doesn’t call it SHIELD until later at the end of the movie. Iron man takes place after this movie in the timeline.

dex14 03-09-19 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ultimaton (Post 13513180)
Maybe more convoluted, but not a contradiction IMO. Avengers established it was kept at and experimented with at Project: Pegasus, so Mar-Vell would've had access to it as Doctor Lawson. They didn't get it from Mar-Vell, so much as they got it back from her.

Good point. I've seen a lot of reviewers and comments bring this up for some reason.

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13513333)

If he did, good. I didn't remember TWS line until someone brought it up here, so it wasn't something I was mindful of when watching this.

Obi-Wanma 03-09-19 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13513333)

I loved the movie. Larson was cute and a badass. It was very funny as well and I liked the music. The biggest continuity error I picked up was Fury said he was an agent of SHIELD in the beginning. But in Iron Man, Coulson is telling Tony the name (Strategic blah blah) and Tony says it’s a mouthful. He doesn’t call it SHIELD until later at the end of the movie. Iron man takes place after this movie in the timeline.

I dunno, when he used the full name earlier in the movie, the letters already spelled out SHIELD. It would be hard to believe that happened by accident. Maybe he just wasn't ready to to say the codename to her earlier in the movie. It is a secret government division, after all.

There was a great line in the first episode of Season of Agents of SHIELD where Agent Ward is being interviewed by a superior officer who asks him "What does SHIELD Stand for?" So he repeats the full name. Then she asks him "And what does that mean to you?" He replies "It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out SHIELD."

Decker 03-09-19 09:20 AM

Thought it was okay, not great. Not sure Larson has enough star power for this sort of a part. I think she's an amazing supporting performer but was a little bland as a character here. Plus there's no danger here, no adversity even, for Vers. She is so overpowered and unchallenged. Even Superman has Kryptonite. She has no peril, no real challenges to face. It was a fun enough watch, mostly due to the 90s setting (and the amazing de-aging of SLJ), but I don't know how a sequel for her would go. Liked Ben Mendhelson a lot in this -- that's twice now he has significantly raised the level of a formulaic Disney property.

Dr. DVD 03-09-19 10:49 AM

Caught this yesterday. I liked it but didn't love it. It doesn't break any barriers as an MCU movie nor does it do so as a feminist/SJW movie, at least IMO. Charlize Theron's character in Atomic Blonde was way more impressive to me, and that movie had a great 80s soundtrack to boot. It served its purpose of providing some backstory for Endgame, and I loved the cat. The movie seemed to have a lot of influence from the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer in terms of how the characters were written, and given his penchant for both super women and and his MCU connection, they should have let Joss Whedon make this movie. Larson started out okay in the role, but for some reason seemed like she started reading off of cards for the second half. Kind of surprised as she typically delivers a solid performance.

One thing I did dig as someone who graduated high school and started college in 1995 was Larson's grunge look. I hung out with many a girl that looked just like that in my day. :)

Question: my memory's kind of hazy regarding the Tesseract. I thought it was found with Captain America in the wreckage in the ice and snow. Curious as to when and how Mar Vell got a hold of it and if we're meant to believe that Goose ate it and it wasn't until he harked it up that Fury found it. Or...did Thanos not actually get the correct Tesseract and his gauntlet is incomplete ?

Orbi-Wan Techno 03-09-19 11:44 AM

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

CAPTAIN MARVEL (PG-13) - You’ll believe a woman can fly higher, faster, stronger in this fun introduction of the hero intended to usher in the next era of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

During the final credit scene of AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) witnesses Mariah Hill turn to ash and blow away. He desperately grabs a 90’s era pager and activates it just as his body fades away as well. The pager falls to the ground, and we see a red, blue and yellow symbol flash onto the pager screen. Those in the know realized that Fury had just contacted Captain Marvel, a powerful human who wields cosmic powers.

CAPTAIN MARVEL takes us back just over 30 years to explain the origins of Vers (Brie Larson), earth-name Carol Danvers, an Air Force test pilot presumed killed in secret tests back in 1989. As the story unfolds, Vers is prepping for a mission with an elite Kree force (led by Jude Law) based on the planet Hala. Vers is concerned about the fact that she cannot remember her life prior to becoming a Kree warrior. The Krees’ current enemy is the Skrull, a race of green shape-shifters who have infiltrated many planets within the Kree territories.

During this particular mission, Vers is captured and during her interrogation by the Skrull leader Talos (Ben Mendesohn, as charming as he is menacing), portions of her past life on Earth reveal themselves. Vers escapes and heads to Earth with the Skrulls on her tail. She crash-lands in L.A. in the mid 90s (full nostalgia on display from Blockbuster, Radio Shack, cool rock tee shirts, technology and music of the era). Fury from SHIELD and rookie agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg), both appropriately “de-aged”, investigate and quickly ally themselves with the lady who can shoot photons from her hands. Fury and Vers make a funny and effective team and, while investigating a secret aircraft project, pick up a third member, Goose the Cat (who is featured in some quick but funny sight gags, and proves an invaluable asset as the movie progresses.)

Their journey leads them to Louisiana and reunites Carol with her life-long friend Maria Rambeau (Lashana Lynch) and her daughter Monica (Akira Ackbar), and Carol learns just what kind of strong, talented, determined woman she was before she left earth. The rekindling of this friendship kickstarts the second half of the movie as we learn some dirty secrets, Carol and Fury gain more new allies, and Maria gets in on the action. The movie jumps into high gear and races toward a very satisfying conclusion.

CAPTAIN MARVEL is an excellent starting point to this strong character, whose toys are already adorning my home theater room and Mrs. Orbi-Wan’s office. I asked Mrs. Orbi-Wan want she thought, and she said “That movie gave me exactly what I wanted and what I was expecting.” Given that have have likely only seen a small portion of her power, it is going to be a lot of fun speculating how Carol Danvers is going to help turn the tide in AVENGERS: ENDGAME, due at the end of April. You can bet this old Jedi and the Mrs. will have our reserved seats as soon as tickets go on sale.

CAPTAIN MARVEL is funny and action-packed and is a solid MCU entry. This old Jedi is giving CAPTAIN MARVEL a 4 out of 5 stars, but I believe subsequent viewings could nudge that rating just a little higher.

NOTES TO PARENTS (Mild Spoilers): CAPTAIN MARVEL is rated PG-13 for sci-fi and comic book related action mayhem. There are less than a half-dozen PG-level curse words. A mission by the Kree team goes sideways, and several Skrull warriors are killed. After Vers is captured by Skrulls, she is put in a device to keep her powers in check, and her mind is probed for information. Several Skrulls are injured or killed during her escape. Once on Earth, Vers engages in a fight with a Skrull disguised as an old woman. Fury and his boss briefly peek under a towel draping a Skrull warrior’s body in the morgue. The Kree and the Skrull (and to a lesser extent, S.H.I.E.L.D) have several encounters throughout the film. During the final third, a primary character suddenly exhibits some interesting abilities that are slightly disturbing and very humorous at the same time.

MID- and AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: The mid-credits scene is a direct tie-in to Captain Marvel’s appearance in Endgame. The end-credits scene features the hilarious reappearance of an infamous Infinity Stone container.

LIKE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES, and SHARE it with family and friends.

ORB-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under Creative Commons.

ultimaton 03-09-19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13513426)
Caught this yesterday. I liked it but didn't love it. It doesn't break any barriers as an MCU movie nor does it do so as a feminist/SJW movie, at least IMO. Charlize Theron's character in Atomic Blonde was way more impressive to me, and that movie had a great 80s soundtrack to boot. It served its purpose of providing some backstory for Endgame, and I loved the cat. The movie seemed to have a lot of influence from the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer in terms of how the characters were written, and given his penchant for both super women and and his MCU connection, they should have let Joss Whedon make this movie. Larson started out okay in the role, but for some reason seemed like she started reading off of cards for the second half. Kind of surprised as she typically delivers a solid performance.

One thing I did dig as someone who graduated high school and started college in 1995 was Larson's grunge look. I hung out with many a girl that looked just like that in my day. :)

Question: my memory's kind of hazy regarding the Tesseract. I thought it was found with Captain America in the wreckage in the ice and snow. Curious as to when and how Mar Vell got a hold of it and if we're meant to believe that Goose ate it and it wasn't until he harked it up that Fury found it. Or...did Thanos not actually get the correct Tesseract and his gauntlet is incomplete ?

Howard Stark fished it out of the ocean sometime shortly after the defeat of the Red Skull -- it melted through the hull of the ship after the Red Skull attempted to harness its power, so it was not in the wreckage with Cap in the arctic. (Captain America: First Avenger)

Howard experiments with the Tesseract for some time, seemingly through at least the 70's. (Iron Man 2)

At some point Project: Pegasus is established, and the Tesseract is relocated there for further study. Mar-Vell, in the guise of Lawson, infiltrates Pegasus and uses the Tesseract to develop the hyperdrive engine. Presumably it's believed to have been destroyed in the explosion of her experimental ship. It's rediscovered on her space-station, Goose eats it, and eventually coughs it up on Fury's desk. (Captain Marvel)

It is returned to Project: Pegasus and again studied/experimented on, eventually by Dr. Selvig. (Thor)

Loki destroys Project: Pegasus, and uses the Tesseract to summon the Chitauri. After Loki's defeat, the Tesseract is taken by Thor to Asgard for safekeeping. (Avengers)

Loki steals the Tesseract from Asgard's vault (Thor: Ragnarok)

Thanos takes the Tesseract from Loki, destroys it in order to remove the Infinity Gem inside. (Avengers: Infinity War)

Trevor 03-09-19 02:32 PM

Loved it, will put it in my top tier of MCU films, although all 21 are in the B+ to C- range for me.

I prefer the films with smaller casts, and am a sucker for an origin story. Thought Brie did a great job, but can see how some think it a bit “wooden”.

OldBoy 03-09-19 03:14 PM

Captain Marvel...just phenomenal. truly the beginnings of the entire MCU and sheds light on the events prior to the entire MCU. the first Avenger in all her glory. loved everything about it. the action, the humor and most certainly the heart. this has the heart of a mountain lion and it evades the whole movie. from the opening Stan Lee montage tribute (which gave me chills) to the awesome 90's soundtrack to the kick ass mid-credits sequence when she just appears with the remaining Avengers. when "I'm Just a Girl" by No Doubt played, i lost it (as it's one of my all time favorite songs). was just the perfect amount of everything that has made the MCU a juggernaut. Larson was great. Jackson was great. Mendelsohn, just great. the twists and turns, well done. loved the Phase 1 and name change to Fury's document. it all resonated from beginning to the end. it's not my #1, but does rank very high up for me. just bought into it all.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/4.5.gif

davidh777 03-09-19 04:02 PM

Saw it on opening day because we knew we wanted to see it and the calendar was open, so why not.

I thought it was a solid B+ film. The time shift and Skrulls did make it somewhat distinctive, and if nothing else it established CM as a badass who might have the sheer power to take on Thanos. Most of my comic knowledge is from Starlin’s ‘70s version, so I was kind of thrown by the Kree-Skrull plot twist, but I can roll with it. I can’t say I was that familiar with Larson, but she was fine, and while there was certainly a theme of empowerment, I didn’t see the militancy that one might have inferred from the pre-release buzz/outrage. Maybe it was all just from the interview comments.

Toddarino 03-09-19 04:21 PM

Saw it this morning and I’d put it in the middle of the pack. That isn’t saying much since other than IM3 and Incredible Hulk, I’ve enjoyed all of them to varying degrees.

Why So Blu? 03-09-19 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13513507)
Captain Marvel...just phenomenal. truly the beginnings of the entire MCU and sheds light on the events prior to the entire MCU. the first Avenger in all her glory. loved everything about it. the action, the humor and most certainly the heart. this has the heart of a mountain lion and it evades the whole movie. from the opening Stan Lee montage tribute (which gave me chills) to the awesome 90's soundtrack to the kick ass mid-credits sequence when she just appears with the remaining Avengers. when "I'm Just a Girl" by No Doubt played, i lost it (as it's one of my all time favorite songs). was just the perfect amount of everything that has made the MCU a juggernaut. Larson was great. Jackson was great. Mendelsohn, just great. the twists and turns, well done. loved the Phase 1 and name change to Fury's document. it all resonated from beginning to the end. it's not my #1, but does rank very high up for me. just bought into it all.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/4.5.gif

Technically First Avenger is the first one since that one takes place in WWII and CM is from the mid-90's.

asianxcore 03-09-19 08:31 PM

Saw this earlier today with a friend.

As others have already mentioned here, I enjoyed it but wasn't 100% in-love with it.

I felt the middle section of the film drags a bit, mostly because of what the script probably required it to do (filling in information). I also felt that Brie Larson's performance was inconsistent, owning her character one minute and the next delivering stiff, awkward lines, which could also be the fault of the script.

slop101 03-09-19 09:13 PM

Saw it last night, like most here, I liked it, but didn't love it.
I'd say it was mid-tier Marvel - not bad, but not great.
Really looking forward to see more from the Character and Larson - in both Avengers and more solo movies, which obviously they're definitely going to make now.

I'm glad it did so well, despite these "men's-rights" assholes.