DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646975-captain-marvel-boden-fleck-2019-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 03-03-19 11:35 AM

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Captain Marvel" (Starring: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Gemma Chan, Ben Mendelsohn, Lee Pace, Jude Law, Clark Gregg)

Release Date:
3/8/19

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive language throughout.)

Running Time:
124m. (2h. 04m.)

Budget:
$152 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Set in the 1990s, Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that follows the journey of Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe's most powerful heroes. While a galactic war between two alien races reaches Earth, Danvers finds herself and a small cadre of allies at the center of the maelstrom.

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.0 (11,238 votes as of 3/5/19)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:95 Rotten:19 (84% as of 3/5/19)

Metacritic:
66 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 3/5/19)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
https://i.imgur.com/LgEaVSX.jpg

dex14 03-03-19 12:11 PM

Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Two post credit scenes FYI.

Decker 03-03-19 12:34 PM

When does the Review Embargo lift?

dex14 03-03-19 01:02 PM

March 5.

OldBoy 03-03-19 06:22 PM

I already got tix for Sat, 3/9. But just realized only 2D option. Is this not going to be shown in 3D? Haven’t most Marvel movies been shown converted to 3D in theaters?

Obi-Wanma 03-03-19 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13509965)
I already got tix for Sat, 3/9. But just realized only 2D option. Is this not going to be shown in 3D? Haven’t most Marvel movies been shown converted to 3D in theaters?

I haven't bought mine yet, but i just checked and 3D is an option here, so yes, it was converted and is being screened in 3D.

OldBoy 03-03-19 06:48 PM

Huh? I know listings update wed so I’ll see then if more added bc now only like 5 showings showing. So I expect more and 3D will probably be added...

Orbi-Wan Techno 03-04-19 06:52 AM

We have Friday 7 p.m. reserved seats at our favorite Cinema Cafe. Wife is so stoked...

Nesbit 03-04-19 07:31 AM

Got a solo ticket for Thursday evening and then tickets for me, my son, and a friend in 3d on Sunday. Speaking of 3d it’s strange. On Sunday there’s like 20 2d showings and just a single 3d showing.

DJariya 03-04-19 12:54 PM

Seeing this Thursday night. Really looking forward to it. And I'll be sure to hang out for the post credits scenes. Hopefully one of them is a teaser for Endgame.

mspmms 03-05-19 07:23 AM

Seeing it with my youngest son on Sunday 3/10 - Imax theater -popcorn-

dex14 03-05-19 08:37 AM

Reviews are dropping now.

Deftones 03-05-19 10:32 AM

Reviews I am seeing are overwhelmingly positive. :up:

Decker 03-05-19 11:02 AM

Some medoicre ones are showing up on Metacritic now. Score is currently
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...cdd846be8e.png

nando820 03-05-19 12:35 PM

Man really want to watch this one, might have to do night run on Thursday or Friday

RichC2 03-05-19 02:21 PM

It's up to 85% on Rottentomatoes with 101 Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

Sounds like it's more Ant-man than Captain America, and I'm just fine with that http://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

That metacritic score places the movie on par with Avengers: Infinity War, and slightly above The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Ant-man, Captain America: First Avenger

Osiris3657 03-06-19 08:29 AM

I know that the movie currently has a very solid/respectable 84% on RT, but reading the little blurbs from the critics makes it seem like it's kind of "meh"

ddrknghtrtns 03-06-19 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13511528)
I know that the movie currently has a very solid/respectable 84% on RT, but reading the little blurbs from the critics makes it seem like it's kind of "meh"

Definitely not getting the Black Panther love!

raven56706 03-06-19 10:34 AM

all i want to know is the end credit scenes

TheBigDave 03-06-19 10:52 AM

I have no idea how Rotten Tomatoes works. I've seen a 2/4 review rated Fresh and a 2.5/4 review rated Rotten. There's a C+ rated Rotten, and a 60% rated Fresh.

ddrknghtrtns 03-06-19 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706 (Post 13511608)

Probably a scene from Endgame where she introduces herself to the team in some kind of dramatic entrance. The other scene is probably a joke with space cat.
Wondering if they stayed to close to the Marvel movie mold (take no chances) with this one?

dex14 03-06-19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns (Post 13511627)
Probably a scene from Endgame where she introduces herself to the team in some kind of dramatic entrance. The other scene is probably a joke with space cat.

Sounds like you read some leaks.

ddrknghtrtns 03-06-19 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13511629)
Sounds like you read some leaks.

​​​​​​Outside of being a fan of the Marvel cinematic universe, havent' really kept tabs on this one.

Giantrobo 03-06-19 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13511528)

A Marvel guy I work with went to a screening last night with a bunch of other Marvel fans and he said it was "ok". He said it didn't blow him away...but at least he didn't leave angry like he did with recent Star Wars films...and he was glad there was not too much "Rah! Rah! Girl Power!" stuff in it. :eek:

I was was kinda surprised he gave that luke warm review and I'm sure it's better than "ok". :lol:

movieguru 03-06-19 01:01 PM

Just saw this yesterday....

Spoilers..........

Probably one of the better inaugural MCU movies. It felt a little different and less connected to the other Marvel movies. Nice tribute to Stan Lee in the opening credits. His cameo was pretty small. You could barely see his face but he gets to say one of his famous catchphrases. I found it odd that Nick Fury would just happen to be in the area and could show up within minutes of when Captain Marvel appears on Earth and show up at the right place in other scenes. Lots of 1990's technology and cultural jokes. Gives the origin of Nick Fury's eye condition. I thought the Skrulls would be the villains in the movie. Still don't know what the hell the cat was supposed to be.

clappj 03-06-19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13511700)
Just saw this yesterday....

Spoilers..........

Probably one of the better inaugural MCU movies. It felt a little different and less connected to the other Marvel movies. Nice tribute to Stan Lee in the opening credits. His cameo was pretty small. You could barely see his face but he gets to say one of his famous catchphrases. I found it odd that Nick Fury would just happen to be in the area and could show up within minutes of when Captain Marvel appears on Earth and show up at the right place in other scenes. Lots of 1990's technology and cultural jokes. Gives the origin of Nick Fury's eye condition. I thought the Skrulls would be the villains in the movie. Still don't know what the hell the cat was supposed to be.

Spoiler:
The "cat" Goose (formerly known as Chewie/Chewbacca) is actually not a cat but a Flerkin, a dangerous alien species that look like cats.
Make sense now? ;)

Perkinsun Dzees 03-06-19 07:35 PM

Stuckmann gave it a C.

He said that Brie Larson was wooden.

movieguru 03-06-19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706 (Post 13511608)

Spoiler:
Two end scenes. The first ones shows Steve Rogers, Black Widow, and Bruce Banner talking about the power going out in Nick Fury's intergalactic pager that Captain Marvel gave him in case he ever needed her help. Why he never felt the need to use the pager to get her help during the first two Avengers movies is anyone's guess, but she shows up not looking a day older and asks where Nick Fury is. The second one has that alien cat creature thing coffing up the tesseract cube like it's a hairball on Fury's desk.

ddrknghtrtns 03-06-19 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13511986)
Spoiler:
Two end scenes. The first ones shows Steve Rogers, Black Widow, and Bruce Banner talking about the power going out in Nick Fury's intergalactic pager that Captain Marvel gave him in case he ever needed her help. Why he never felt the need to use the pager to get her help during the first two Avengers movies is anyone's guess, but she shows up not looking a day older and asks where Nick Fury is. The second one has that alien cat creature thing coffing up the tesseract cube like it's a hairball on Fury's desk.

Spoiler:
Damn! I guessed right! These movies are becoming to predictable.

Hokeyboy 03-06-19 09:41 PM

Yeah I keep hearing from people who've seen the movie that Larson is... not good in this. Shame if that's the case.

A friend, whose movie opinion I respect more than pretty much anyone, basically thought it was decent but compared it to Ant-Man in terms of how much it resonated with him. He liked Ant-Man more than I did so I'm a bit "uh-oh".

Mike86 03-06-19 11:11 PM

The Screen Junkies review was rather mixed as well. They did make a good point at the end though in comparing it to when Captain America: The First Avenger initially came out. Where that was viewed by many at the time as one of the weaker MCU films to that point by many people (myself included), but both the film and the character gained more appreciation in subsequent appearances and films. Hopefully that’s the case with this film and Captain Marvel the character as a lot hinges on her going forward. I’m going in with tempered expectations which is a bit of a letdown, but it doesn’t sound like a complete misstep or a bad movie.

The Antipodean 03-07-19 03:30 AM

Liked it but didn’t love it. It. It carries the weight of insane expectations but isn’t a game changer like Black Panther. It takes too long to get going but the second half is a big improvement. Marvel has polished these movies to such a high sheen that a B+ feels like a slight letdown, but it’s good - Larson is decent with an unsatisfyingly written role, and Jackson as always is great fun. Mendelsohn is terrific and gives a lot of weight to his role.

One problem that’s my own is I’ve never really warmed to Carol Danvers in the comics, who’s been about 50 different people before they settled on the Wonder Woman analog she’s been for a few years - feminist hero, amnesiac, X-Man for a while, major drunkard, etc. I don’t feel the sense of history with her I do with Iron Man or Cap because for too long the comics character has been all over the show. The movie spends too long with her as an unformed person before it finally gets inspirational in the last act. Compare to T’Challa who is a firm character from the start.

Also felt the directing was a bit drab - action scenes far too dark too often and a lack of the visual flair that BP, Thor Ragnarok, Dr Strange and others have had.

that said I did like a lot of it - the special effects great in the battle scenes and the views of Hala swell -

Spoiler:
I quite liked the twist with the Skrulls and it elevated the movie a lot for me. The Kree have often been vicious bastards in the comics so glad they picked up on that. Goose is awesome and the de-aging on Jackson great - not so much Clark Gregg imho.

dex14 03-07-19 02:11 PM

Disney’s Captain Marvel, the first Marvel movie since July’s Ant-Man and the Wasp is hoping to rocket-charge to a $150M start in U.S./Canada and a $350M worldwide opening.
Yes, tracking does show a $120M-$140M start for the Brie Larson-Samuel L. Jackson movie here (their third team-up onscreen after Kong: Skull Island and Larson’s directorial Unicorn Store) in the U.S at 4,200 theaters, but industry projection believe that the marketplace is just salivating for a great superhero five-quad movie. It’s just been too long. Should Captain Marvel fall short of $150M, yet north of $100M, she’ll still be fine, and know that tracking isn’t exact for any movie once it’s projected past the century mark.
https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain...ew-1202569811/

dex14 03-07-19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13512064)
The Screen Junkies review was rather mixed as well. They did make a good point at the end though in comparing it to when Captain America: The First Avenger initially came out. Where that was viewed by many at the time as one of the weaker MCU films to that point by many people (myself included), but both the film and the character gained more appreciation in subsequent appearances and films. Hopefully that’s the case with this film and Captain Marvel the character as a lot hinges on her going forward. I’m going in with tempered expectations which is a bit of a letdown, but it doesn’t sound like a complete misstep or a bad movie.

I'd agree with this. Future movies could improve this when revisiting.

Just got back.

It was OK. Did not blow me away or anything, which is unfortunate considering the hype Marvel and Feige have been building up behind this for years.

I liked the Stan Lee tribute and his cameo with the Mallrats script cracked me up.

Ben Mendelsohn was great. I didn't think Brie was too bad as some review say. Her chemistry with Jackson was great. I'd look forward to seeing someone else direct future installments instead though.

I was very surprised that Jude Law wasn't Mar-Vell and Benning was instead. The story did go in a direction that surprised me with the Skrulls, which was good.

I'd probably put this on the level of Thor and Doctor Strange.

csant 03-07-19 09:35 PM

I liked it. Brie wasn't bad and I actually thought she did ok, kinda own the character. Can't wait to see Endgame and see where they go from here.

movieguru 03-07-19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 13511963)
Stuckmann gave it a C.

He said that Brie Larson was wooden.

The character she plays is more serious and lacks emotions to some degree which may be interpreted as Larson being wooden.

TheGuy 03-07-19 11:12 PM

How many 3 point landings/looks up slowly, are in this movie?

Red Hood 03-07-19 11:23 PM

I'm on the side that Larson is wooden, not because of the part, but because of bad acting. In contrast, everyone else was fucking great. For me, Larson brought the movie down one star.

Pros
- They used one of my favorite Skrull stories from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, issue #5. The whole Skrull refugee families was shown in this issue while Earth was going through the Secret Invasion storyline. Cosmos was protecting these Skrulls in a similar war Mar-Vell did in the movie.
- As I mentioned, everyone else, with the exception of Larson, was great in the film.
- They kept the spirit of the Kelly Sue Deckonick Captain Marvel stories

Cons
-Brie Larsons acting brings the movie down. She wasn't as bad as January Jones on X-Men First Class, but was pretty close to it.
-Man, did they ham fisted the fact that the movie take place in the 90's. Okay, we get it, the movie is around 1994/95. You don't need to remind us with the loud, sometimes out of place soundtrack
- I really like Annette Benning but they fucking did a disservice to Mar-Vell, the original Captain Marvel. This swerve was similar (in a bad way) to the Iron Man 3 Mandarin one. Mar-Vell was an integral part of Marvel Comics in the 70's and taking him out of the big MCU picture is just wrong.
- They now contradicted themselves/ made things more convoluted in how SHIELD/Fury ended up with the Tesseract. I though SHIELD kept the Tesseract after Howard Stark recovered it from the Artic in 1944. How did Mar-Vell ended up with the Tesseract then?

Also, didn't Fury said something about Alexander Pierce having something to do with his left eye missing on the Winter Soldier movie?

Why So Blu? 03-07-19 11:57 PM

I just got back from it and it was fine. As Scott Mendelson mentioned in his review - the film is formulaic but Brie Larson saves it. She was awesome. It was a fun flick. I think the 90's soundtrack was great outside of the No Doubt but that's just cuz I never ever liked No Doubt. The Elastica song was awesome, though.

With that being said, this is nowhere top tier MCU for me. It's about on the same level as Dark World, the First Ant-Man film. I hated First Avenger, so at least this one is way better.

6 weeks left before ENDGAME!

DJariya 03-08-19 12:11 AM

Just got back tonight as well. I gave it 3 1/2 stars and probably between a B and B-. It was fine, but a little formulaic. It's lower tier MCU like Doctor Strange and Ant Man. Brie was a little stiff, but I don't think she was awful. I blame the 2 directors who are obviously very inexperienced and didn't get the best out of her. I did like the humor and the 90's nostalgia and I did think she had some good scenes with Jackson.

One thing I wasn't really clear on. How did Fury lose his eye? I saw it was swollen and the Fluerkin scratched it, but I didn't see how he lost it.

I liked the tease at the end with Fury's pager being brought back with the remaining Avengers trying to figure out what it was and then she re-appears. That was a good tease.

and yeah the Stan Lee tribute with the Marvel Studios animation was very cool and I liked his cameo.