Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Apollo 11 (2019, D: Todd Douglas Miller) -- documentary

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 08:22 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Co8Z8BQgWc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Apollo 11 is in theaters everywhere March 8.

From director Todd Douglas Miller (Dinosaur 13) comes a cinematic event fifty years in the making. Crafted from a newly discovered trove of 65mm footage, and more than 11,000 hours of uncatalogued audio recordings, Apollo 11 takes us straight to the heart of NASA’s most celebrated mission—the one that first put men on the moon, and forever made Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin into household names. Immersed in the perspectives of the astronauts, the team in Mission Control, and the millions of spectators on the ground, we vividly experience those momentous days and hours in 1969 when humankind took a giant leap into the future.
Has some limited screenings this weekend.

100% currently on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/apollo_11_2019
Old 02-28-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts
Re: Apollo 11 (2019, D: Todd Douglas Miller) -- documentary

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it ids exclusively in IMAX this weekend.
Old 02-28-19, 09:30 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

First of all, when is some foreign asshole going to jump in with a slanderous early review and destroy this movie like First Man?

Second, wasn’t the 65mm film just for still photography?
Old 02-28-19, 09:50 AM

They've done a shitty job of advertising this. Friday Night's IMAX show has 17 seats sold so far, checking the AMC website. That's not great.
Old 02-28-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

The footage looks pretty good.
Old 02-28-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

I can't wait to see this! The trailer looks awesome.
Old 02-28-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

My friend saw this yesterday or the day before and said it was awesome.
Old 02-28-19, 02:15 PM

I found one of my (fairly) nearby theatres will have this in IMAX, so I will see this on Saturday.
Old 02-28-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only IMAX close to me is an AMC. Of course, the earliest showing is 12pm which is when the prices double.
Old 02-28-19, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The only IMAX close to me is an AMC. Of course, the earliest showing is 12pm which is when the prices double.
This is where A-List comes in handy for me.
Old 02-28-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14

This is where A-List comes in handy for me.
If I went there more often, I'd be all over it.
Old 03-01-19, 11:47 PM

Just got back from seeing this. First of all, the new footage is MIND-BLOWING and stunning to see. That said, there is sadly very little of that 70mm footage in the movie. It's just some scenes before launch, some amazing footage of the rockets on the pad and some of people watching the launch in FL (including a really cool celebrity sighting!). Maybe 15 minutes of stuff total, but probably less than that. Also some more stuff after landing, briefly. The vast majority is grainy video footage. Obviously they didn't bring 70- MM film canisters into the lunar capsule, but for God's sake, couldn't they have used those same cameras to shoot the Mission Control stuff?
Anyway, it was a fascinating watch. The movie just flew by for me. No narration, no retrospective interviews, just Walter Cronkite and other news casters describing what was happening in real time. I really enjoyed it. Made me a little sad that there were no kids there. I don't think young people have any interest in the space program -- kinda weird because every kid my age dreamed of being an astronaut. Times have changed.

BTW : This movie is a CNN film, so while I HIGHLY recommend catching it in IMAX this weekend, it will almost certainly be broadcast on CNN on July 20th.
Old 03-02-19, 01:24 PM
Banned

I’m going today. Taking my daughter. 11 years old. She has no interest, but I’m hoping this will jog her interest.

I know one of her friends wants to be an astronaut. She’s attended special programs at JPL and Cal Tech. She’s serious. So is my nephew who is the same age. There’s kids that are into it.
Old 03-02-19, 07:15 PM
Banned

Okay, saw it. It’s very good.

The quality of almost everything is so much better than any previous version. Tons of stuff you’ve never seen before and tons of stuff you’ve seen before looking better than ever. A few of the early shots in 70mm are just breathtaking. They look brand new.

Maybe the most interesting is the footage of the people. The crowds, the reporters, the onlookers; stuff like the bank of payphones for the press to use. That was maybe the only thing in the movie that I felt I had to explain to my 11 year old.

The music is excellent. There’s an interesting note in the credits that it was created entirely with equipment that existed in 1969 or prior. So while it sounds rather modern it has a foundation in analog equipment. A nice touch.

Footnote: I saw this at the Orange 30 IMAX in Orange, CA. Not my usual imax. Total rip off. Real IMAX screams are 2 or 3 times larger than this runt of a screen. Never going back there.
Old 03-02-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Saw it today. It was really good. I think it's a good supplemental film to First Man.

The footage and editing was pretty amazing. This wasn't a traditional documentary. I actually felt like I was there experiencing it 50 years ago. And I thought it really worked with no narration.

BTW, I don't know how many of you are familiar with him, but the movie critic Scott Mantz was actually in the audience for my showing. He's usually on Collider Video on YouTube. He was there with his wife and sat 2 rows ahead of me. This IMAX showing was in Long Beach, CA. So I assume he lives in the area.
Old 05-28-19, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Decker

BTW : This movie is a CNN film, so while I HIGHLY recommend catching it in IMAX this weekend, it will almost certainly be broadcast on CNN on July 20th.
Sunday June 23rd at 9E/6P on CNN
Old 05-28-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Just got back from seeing this. First of all, the new footage is MIND-BLOWING and stunning to see. That said, there is sadly very little of that 70mm footage in the movie. It's just some scenes before launch, some amazing footage of the rockets on the pad and some of people watching the launch in FL (including a really cool celebrity sighting!). Maybe 15 minutes of stuff total, but probably less than that. Also some more stuff after landing, briefly. The vast majority is grainy video footage. Obviously they didn't bring 70- MM film canisters into the lunar capsule, but for God's sake, couldn't they have used those same cameras to shoot the Mission Control stuff?
I felt the same way. At first you forget you are watching a documentary. Then things feel off after the rocket launches and you no longer see all those vivid shots from different camera angles. It made me think (OK, I realize people might HATE this) - why not recreate all the scenes in space and on the moon with special effects to fill in the gaps? Seamlessly edit it in with all the actual footage. Just make sure it looks completely authentic so it doesn't snap you out of the movie's spell.

Has anything ever been attempted like that? Part of me thinks it would be heresy, but is it really much different than dramatic music playing when the Eagle approaches the lunar surface? Or your subwoofer starts to rumble when the rocket lifts off? These are already subtle things added to enhance the drama of the picture.
Old 05-29-19, 09:42 AM
Banned

That’s not a very good idea. The only weakness of this film is the filmmakers’ determination to use only footage of Apollo 11. The 11 crew didn’t shoot that much of themselves going to or from the moon. They also used some kind of early video equipment. What you see in this doc is just about all there is. Many past docs, like For All Mankind, substitute shots from later missions to fill in the holes. Same thing with the moonwalk itself. Apollo 11 spent very little time on the moon, and filmed a limited amount. Later moonwalks were much longer and more compelling. I appreciated this film recusing itself to just Apollo 11 footage. It made me appreciate the “seat of the pants” of it all.
Old 06-06-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Saw this last night and thought it was fantastic. For something with such little dialogue, I was glued to the screen.
Old 06-25-19, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I finally got around to watching this at home, and I'm guessing it has much more of an impact in IMAX, because I thought it was only so-so (I have a 65" TV, but of course, that's still not very big). Maybe it's because I'm such a huge follower of the space program I'm too familiar with the mission and previously seen footage, but I really felt this movie needed some of the more "traditional" documentary elements, like a narrator or current "talking head" interviews with those involved that are still alive. I also would have liked to have seen more of the news footage from the day - I guess CNN wasn't going to get permission to use stuff from CBS (we got a few voice overs from Walter Cronkite, but that was it).

It's not a bad film - but given all the hype, it came off as just "okay" for me. I doubt I ever watch it again.