Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 06:01 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

“Baby Driver” actress Lily James is in talks to star in the untitled Danny Boyle comedy for Working Title and Universal, sources confirmed.

Boyle is directing from a script by “Love Actually” writer-director Richard Curtis. Curtis and Boyle will also produce the film.

Working Title’s Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner will produce alongside Matt Wilkinson and Bernie Bellew. Nick Angel and Lee Brazier are executive producers.

Exec VP of production Erik Baiers will oversee the project for Universal.

Variety recently revealed that Boyle is high on MGM’s list to direct the next James Bond pic, starring Daniel Craig. James’ commitment seems to confirm that no matter what happens with “Bond 25,” this will likely be Boyle’s next movie.

Boyle most recently directed “Steve Jobs” for Universal and also has the John Paul Getty FX series “Trust” bowing this spring. Curtis most recently wrote and directed “About Time” for Universal.

Last year, James starred in Edgar Wright’s “Baby Driver” and appeared opposite Oscar winner Gary Oldman in the Winston Churchill biopic “Darkest Hour.”

She can be seen next as the younger version of Meryl Streep’s character in “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again,” the musical sequel that opens on July 20.

James is repped by UTA.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/li...ie-1202722206/
Old 03-08-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
re: Untitled Richard Curtis / Danny Boyle comedy -- S: James, Patel, McKinnon, Sheeran

After becoming a huge fan of Curtis's work with Rowan Atkinson years ago (Blackadder, Mr Bean) I always tend to become interested when he is doing something new only to be ultimately disappointed.

Also, this sounds like a movie and not TV? Wrong forum?
Old 03-09-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Untitled Richard Curtis / Danny Boyle comedy -- S: James, Patel, McKinnon, Sheeran

All I want to know is where is my Love Actually sequel?
Old 03-09-18, 10:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

fuck that's a dream team. after recently seeing and really enjoying The Boat That Rocked (Pirate Radio in US, theatrical) and loving to death Love Actually and most, if not all of Boyle's stuff, i'm all in!
Old 08-30-18, 02:22 PM

So, the days of everyone freaking out about what type of James Bond film filmmaker Danny Boyle was working on are long gone. Since the departure of the award-winning director from that mega-franchise, we can now focus on that little project that Boyle’s been working on in the interim, his untitled comedy/musical.

We don’t have a ton of information about the Boyle film, other than the star Himesh Patel and his co-stars Lily James (“Baby Driver,” “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again”), Kate McKinnon (“SNL,” “The Spy Who Dumped Me”) and, lastly, Ed Sheeran, the pop star that has shown his acting “chops” in “Game of Thrones.”

And in a new interview (via ABC), Sheeran spills the beans about what we can expect in the Boyle film, and how exactly the stadium-filling pop star was able to balance a major role in a big film while also playing gigs.

First, the film apparently stars Patel as a singer-songwriter that wakes up one day to realize that he’s the only person in the world to remember the Beatles. And as you might expect, it appears like he uses that knowledge to become a major star.

“And then I discover him and take him on tour. Then he gets much, much bigger than me through doing stuff. Yeah, it’s very clever,” Sheeran said. “I got to actually kind of learn how to act. … With the ‘Game of Thrones’ thing, that was literally me popping in for a day and making a cameo. Or ‘Bastard Executioner‘ was me popping in for a day. But this was like full days on set, like full 12-hour days.”

“They shot it around loads of my gigs. So it was a very intense two months. Because I would have four days of gigging and then three days of shooting a film,” Sheeran continued. “I was playing myself, so I don’t think I was that bad. There wasn’t much to (mess) up.”

Sure, it’s no ‘Bond 25,’ but with a seriously interesting concept like this, told through the lens of one of the most visually striking directors working today, this comedy/musical sounds like a lot of fun. And sure, Ed Sheeran hasn’t proven himself to be much of an actor, but he can’t be that bad playing himself, right? Here’s hoping James and McKinnon can do their best to overshadow him, anyway.

There’s no release date for the untitled film, but now that his schedule has freed up, we can expect Boyle to be working full-time on this project.
https://theplaylist.net/danny-boyle-...medy-20180830/
Old 02-12-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, McKinnon

Yesterday, everyone knew The Beatles. Today, only Jack remembers their songs. He’s about to become a very big deal. From Academy Award®-winning director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) and Richard Curtis, the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually and Notting Hill, comes a rock-n-roll comedy about music, dreams, friendship, and the long and winding road that leads to the love of your life.

Jack Malik (Himesh Patel, BBC’s Eastenders) is a struggling singer-songwriter in a tiny English seaside town whose dreams of fame are rapidly fading, despite the fierce devotion and support of his childhood best friend, Ellie (Lily James, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again). Then, after a freak bus accident during a mysterious global blackout, Jack wakes up to discover that The Beatles have never existed … and he finds himself with a very complicated problem, indeed.

Performing songs by the greatest band in history to a world that has never heard them, and with a little help from his steel-hearted American agent, Debra (Emmy winner Kate McKinnon), Jack’s fame explodes. But as his star rises, he risks losing Ellie — the one person who always believed in him. With the door between his old life and his new closing, Jack will need to get back to where he once belonged and prove that all you need is love.

Featuring new versions of The Beatles’ most beloved hits, Yesterday is produced by Working Title’s Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner (Love Actually, About A Boy, the Bridget Jones series) alongside Matthew James Wilkinson and Bernie Bellew. Curtis and Boyle also produce. Nick Angel and Lee Brazier serve as executive producers.

Last edited by dex14; 02-12-19 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

That is a weird premise. Not what I was expecting. Also is he the only one singing the songs? I had thought that this was going to be like Across The Universe.
Old 02-12-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

I really want to see this. Highly original concept.
Old 02-12-19, 07:05 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Agreed. That sounds like a very fun concept. I literally stood up when I read it.
Old 02-12-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I am in
Old 02-12-19, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I had a similar idea for a book/movie. Although it didn't centre around The Beatles, but all sorts of musicians and genres of music.
Old 02-13-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Saw the trailer and I am in, looks like a blast.
Old 02-13-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a little concerned this might be a one-joke-movie.
However, when Curtis is good, he's REALLY good.
I'll NF this.
Old 02-14-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Just found out about this movie yesterday (Ha!) but it instantly became one of my most anticipated movies for 2019
Old 02-14-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

It goes without saying but most musicians at one point or another stopped to fantasize about this. Yes I'm totally in
Old 02-15-19, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Curtis is a fantastic writer, but I really wish he was directing too...hopefully Boyle hasn't ruined his script - I'm less a fan of Boyle's direction, at least when compared to Curtis.
Old 03-14-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 351 Posts

I just saw the trailer and am blown away! I may actually break down and *gasp* go to a real live theater to see it!
Old 03-26-19, 10:41 AM

I was able to snag tickets to the world premiere of this at the Tribeca Closing Night Gala screening. Very much looking forward to it. Going the Reality Bites 25th reunion before that too.
Old 05-06-19, 07:50 AM

Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Curtis is a fantastic writer, but I really wish he was directing too...hopefully Boyle hasn't ruined his script - I'm less a fan of Boyle's direction, at least when compared to Curtis.
I went to the premiere on Saturday at Tribeca. Honestly, Boyle is what saves this. His directing makes the songs unique, but at the same time, this is one of the most bland things he's done. I like Curtis, but there is no way his limited directorial efforts compare to Boyle's.

I didn't dislike the movie, but I think the concept was better than the overall execution. I think general audiences will really like it. It played well at the festival.

Himesh Patel is fantastic though. He really does breathe new life into the songs. It doesn't just feel like covers.

One thing that I appreciated was that it
Spoiler:
wasn't just The Beatles that don't exist in this new world. Oasis, cigarettes, Harry Potter are some examples. It's an ongoing bit in the film of him googling things.
There is also a scene towards the end I will be interested to see how others react to. It makes senses in terms of the movie, but I don't know if it worked for me.

Here are some reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/yesterday_2019
Old 06-25-19, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

I really really want this movie to be good.
Old 06-28-19, 07:32 AM

Opens this weekend.
Old 06-28-19, 11:48 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We have tickets for this afternoon. I have already gotten requests to write a review so that will probably drop tomorrow.
Old 06-29-19, 09:53 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

Yesterday (PG-13) - A fantastic, funny and romantic morality tale set in a world where the Beatles and their music never existed is enchanting and original

Director Danny Boyle (Millions, Slumdog Millionaire) boldly marches into the world of “what-if” fantasy once again with a unique idea - what if, for some unexplained reason, you woke up and the world no longer has things that you distinctly remember and in fact, so influenced your life that losing them is like losing a part of you? In “Yesterday”, the primary thing lost is the musical genius of John, Paul, George and Ringo, and the pantheon of timeless classics that have inspired generations of music lovers.

Growing up, my childhood home was primarily country-western oriented when it came to secular music, but as I entered my teenage years, I discovered Queen, the Eagles, the Rolling Stones, KISS, and yes, The Beatles. All of these groups influenced my life in certain ways, but it wasn’t until I was watching this movie that I was reminded - there is really something quite special in the music from the Boys from Liverpool.

Jack (Himesh Patel) is a struggling singer as “Yesterday” begins, playing venues arranged by his best friend and life-long fan Ellie (the radiant Lily James). He plays his own songs, ballads not well received by anyone outside his small circle of friends. One night, after he’s made the decision to give up his music career, he is struck by a bus when the entire world suffers a 12-second event that knocks out all power. When he wakes up in the hospital, bruised and battered but with Ellie by his side, he starts to realize something is different. Ellie doesn’t understand a reference to “When I’m 64.” Once out of the hospital, he serenades his friends with the song “Yesterday”, and they are amazed at the words and melody. A Google search informs him that he’s woken up in a world that has never even heard of The Beatles, much less experienced their music. As the movie progresses, we also learn of a few other things that no longer exist.

After sparking some interest by performing a Beatles tune in a pub, Jack gets a chance to record some tracks of the songs he can remember, and distributes them on CD and online to gauge interest. The songs catch fire, he is invited to perform at bigger venues, and he catches the ear of pop icon Ed Sheeran (played by himself) and eventually his American agent, Debra Hammer (Kate McKinnon in the closest thing to a bad guy role in an otherwise very positive movie).

The crux of the movie is Jack’s internal reaction to what he is doing. He knows that, even though the world is hungry for the unique music he is channeling, it is not his, and he struggles with the guilt of knowing he’s taking credit for, and on the verge of fame and fortune because of, the work of the Fab Four. His relationship with Ellie is also coming to a crossroads, and he is realistically struggling with that aspect of his life, as well. This shows us that, deep down, Jack is decent and honorable, and we wonder how he’s going to eventually find the balance he so desperately seeks and needs in his life.

“Yesterday” is just an all-around winning combination of music, acting, humor, and a story of making choices, bad and good. I was with Mrs. Orbi-Wan and her sister, and we laughed, teared up at time, tapped our toes, and sang out-loud. What more can you ask from a movie like this? I am giving “Yesterday” 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers, and I am positive it will join my video library alongside all of our other favorite musicals.

NOTES FOR PARENTS - YESTERDAY is rated PG-13 primarily for thematic elements and some infrequent language. The plot centers around one man’s struggle of conscience as he takes creative credit for music that he did not write, even though no one would ever find out. There is an incomplete “motherf***” toward the end of the movie. “Godd**n” is said twice and “Christ” is used a handful of times, as well as a half-dozen “s**t” and “d**n”. After being hit by a bus, Jack’s face is shown swollen and battered, and two of his front teeth are missing, but it is played off as comical. There is frequent adult drinking throughout the movie. There are a couple of mild drug references. The two leads kiss passionately a couple of times, once while both are drunk, and again where it is obvious they are about to sleep together, although nothing is shown.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There are no mid- or after-credits scenes.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORB-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with family and friends!

ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under CREATIVE COMMONS.
Old 07-04-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
There is also a scene towards the end I will be interested to see how others react to. It makes senses in terms of the movie, but I don't know if it worked for me.
Spoiler:
Is it when a certain someone appears in the movie? I don't want to mention a name because I really enjoyed that scene and was not expecting it.
Old 07-04-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I liked the movie too. When someone else is singing stripped-down versions of their songs, you really notice how great the lyrics are. I loved Lily James. I don't know if I completely bought the ending but I guess it was okay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.