Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are some of your most vivid memories of a specific movie theater experience?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What are some of your most vivid memories of a specific movie theater experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: What are some of your most vivid memories of a specific movie theater experience?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The children's section was a standard feature of some neighborhood theaters back then and they had a matron, an old lady in white, with gloves and a flashlight, to try and keep order. With YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, by the time the action climax came, the entire audience was erupting in cheers and whoops, so the kids' response didn't seem out of line at all and the matron left us alone.

The children's admission price was 50 cents, although they raised it to 75 cents for the Bond film. Even when the films being shown weren't "children's films," the children's section was in place, and it was the leftmost seating section in a theater with three seating sections, plus a balcony. At this same theater two years earlier, I paid kids' price and went by myself to see a double bill of PSYCHO and STALAG 17 when I was 11.
When I was a kid there weren't any children's sections, but any kid under 12 got in free if accompanied by an adult. Imagine all the uncounted box gross compared to today. I think this contributed to my dad being so willing to take me to the movies any time I asked. If one of us was getting in free, he could pretend it was him.
Old 02-12-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: What are some of your most vivid memories of a specific movie theater experience?

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Making out with someone during Schindler's List.
Seinfeld?
Old 02-15-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
would have loved to see this in a theater...
We saw The Third Man on film about 15 years ago. There was significantly more visual information on the film than on the Criterion DVD.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The children's section was a standard feature of some neighborhood theaters back then and they had a matron, an old lady in white, with gloves and a flashlight, to try and keep order. With YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, by the time the action climax came, the entire audience was erupting in cheers and whoops, so the kids' response didn't seem out of line at all and the matron left us alone.

The children's admission price was 50 cents, although they raised it to 75 cents for the Bond film. Even when the films being shown weren't "children's films," the children's section was in place, and it was the leftmost seating section in a theater with three seating sections, plus a balcony. At this same theater two years earlier, I paid kids' price and went by myself to see a double bill of PSYCHO and STALAG 17 when I was 11.
I've never been in a balcony in a movie theater. My mom had a story about one.

She was a child and she had gone to the theater with her friend. She was at the age where going to the movies without a parent was kind of daring. I figure it would have been before 1950. Because they were children, they sat in the balcony. She had brought caramels to eat, and since unwrapping the crinkly cellophane makes a lot of noise, she had unwrapped them all before the movie started. She put them in a nice row on her lap. So she's sitting there, waiting for the movie to start with an entire bag of unwrapped caramels on the front of her dress, when the usher came over to them and said that there were adult seats available on the main floor, and they could move downstairs.