DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Army of the Dead (5/21/2021, D: Zack Snyder) - Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646625-army-dead-5-21-2021-d-zack-snyder-netflix.html)

Dr. DVD 05-29-21 05:14 PM

Re: Army of the Dead (5/21/2021, D: Zack Snyder) - Netflix

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13939471)
They weren't part of the plot point of AOTD, though. They were hidden easter eggs that will obviously get explored in further adventures. 99% of viewers didn't even catch the UFO's in the beginning scene in Area 51 either. Doesn't mean that they were important to the plot of THIS film.

Fair enough, but it still doesn't explain "Zeus" being able to get so far in such a short time, or the fact that these zombies hibernate, or that they didn't help that woman who was getting attacked mere feet from where they were standing, or the fact that if the zombies are indeed attracted to hot flesh and will eat a warm zombie hand, the ones outside don't eat each other.

Hokeyboy 05-29-21 11:38 PM

Really enjoyed it. Fun time on the screen for sure, and had a blast watching it. Yeah, I'd shave off a bit of runtime but didn't stop my enjoyment of the flick. 4/5

Groucho 05-30-21 09:10 AM

I'm just relieved that the dead pixels weren't from my TV. For that alone, I award this a 5/5.

TGM 05-30-21 05:01 PM

kudos for trying to bring something new to the genre... but it ultimately fell flat for me. somewhere here, perhaps with about an hour cut out of it, there's a pretty good movie lurking underneath.

rexinnih 05-31-21 10:02 PM

After watching this with my 9 year old daughter, she wanted to watch some more zombie movies. Moved to Zombieland 1 & 2 which, in a non-binding poll among 9 year-olds in my household, polled much higher than Army of the Dead.

asianxcore 05-31-21 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 13938248)
I can't deny I had a lot of fun watching it. It probably doesn't speak well of the movie that an hour into it I gave up on the movie being anything other than a collection of "cool moments", but there were enough of them I was never bored.

Finally saw this last night and echo a lot of the same thoughts you mentioned.

I personally didn't have an issue with the run-time but the same film could've been made at around 2-hours.

There was a lot of talk about how the film introduced a lot of new aspects of the Zombie Archetype but a good amount of what I saw had been done in a novel written by David Wellington in 2004 called Monster Island. I also might be off-base in this but I felt there were a lot of similarities in overall structure to Land of the Dead (2005).

I didn't like the sub-plot with Kate as it seemed solely to create more things for the film to do but if that was the case, she could have been used differently, rather than putting her (and the rest of the team) on a hunt for characters we don't care about.

I will also echo that I enjoyed Tig Notaro in this film.

GoldenJCJ 05-31-21 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13940540)
I didn't like the sub-plot with Kate as it seemed slowly to create more things for the film to do but if that was the case, she could have been used differently, rather than putting her (and the rest of the team) on a hunt for characters we don't care about.

Despite the numerous plot holes and the lack of any big zombie battle set pieces (outside the opening credits), I would have enjoyed this a lot more if that subplot had been eliminated altogether. It was completely predictable, we ALL knew exactly where it was going from the second Kate was added to the team. It had absolutely no bearing on the overall story and could have been eliminated with literally no significant changes to the main plot. Add in the fact that the subplot had absolutely no resolution at all and it would have been a better movie without it.

dex14 06-08-21 07:52 AM

GoldenJCJ 06-08-21 10:37 AM

^ I always enjoy seeing how seamlessly they can add visual effects in these days. I remember seeing a funny interview clip with Tig Notaro where she said she thought she was the star of the movie since she was the only one on set filming her scenes. :lol:

That video didn’t show any scenes with Chris D’Elia being removed. I assume it is some sort of legal thing not to have D’Elia shown but he did film scenes, correct? Then they digitally removed him and added Notaro?

Why So Blu? 06-08-21 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13943164)
^ I always enjoy seeing how seamlessly they can add visual effects in these days. I remember seeing a funny interview clip with Tig Notaro where she said she thought she was the star of the movie since she was the only one on set filming her scenes. :lol:

That video didn’t show any scenes with Chris D’Elia being removed. I assume it is some sort of legal thing not to have D’Elia shown but he did film scenes, correct? Then they digitally removed him and added Notaro?

Correct.

Why So Blu? 06-08-21 03:12 PM

And here's that whole bit about it being a cinematic universe:

Crocker Jarmen 06-08-21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13943164)

If I hadn't read about the situation beforehand, I never would have realized she was put into the movie at the last moment.

OFF TOPIC: Does anyone know if Jonah Hill was CGI'd into Django Unchained? Whenever I watch it, he looks like they Tig Notaro'd him into the klan scene.

dex14 06-08-21 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 13943347)
OFF TOPIC: Does anyone know if Jonah Hill was CGI'd into Django Unchained? Whenever I watch it, he looks like they Tig Notaro'd him into the klan scene.

Do you think that is something QT would do? No way.

Rival11 06-09-21 02:01 PM

I didn't like this much at all but after watching an interview with Zack Snyder, I might go back and watch for the surprises he mentions. It's not going to make me like it at all but some of the stuff he said that was in there (and visible) is pretty out there. I won't spoil anything here (and to be be honest, I only remembered one of the things he said).

d2cheer 06-25-21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13939095)
I dug this quite a bit until they showed up in Vegas. Then it turns into Ghosts Of Mars. I can handle dumb decisions and some plot holes especially in a movie like this, but the disappearing mom thing was so fucking stupid. That was a major part of the fucking movie then Snyder just forgets about her and hopes no one will notice.

Thank you I knew this was reminding me of something. To me though that is not a bad thing as I really dig that flick. I thought this was great and was entertained all the way through. My own stupidity caused me to watch it today. Took half a day off to see F9 and did not purchase tickets in advance. The theaters in my area only had a few horrible seats left. So I went home and watched this. I completely enjoyed it. Plot holes aside. I am not dwelling on the issues some have here with it.

Tig Notaro was fantastic I don't know that I have ever seen her in anything!! I looked very hard for the UFO's and still missed them. Ugh.

Josh-da-man 07-09-21 01:24 AM

Finally got around to watching this.

It was, ultimately, quite disappointing. I'd maybe give it two out of five stars.

The whole movie felt like a pastiche of other movies... a little bit of Diehard, a little bit of Zombieland, a little bit of Ocean's Eleven, and quite a bit of Aliens.

I agree that the movie ran too long. Seemed like maybe a taught hour and a half movie that got stretched out to two and half hours. As such, it felt like a slow burn to an anticlimax where everything that everyone did was for naught. I realize that a movie like this going to have a high body count, but nobody really accomplished anything. Nobody got paid. Kate lost both her father and her friend. The fucked up thing is that if Kate had stayed behind, Scott and several of the others wouldn't have been killed, and her friend would have died either way.

I did like a few things about it; the scene with the hibernating zombies was interesting (though it could have been so much better and scarier), and the zombie hierarchy with the alphas and the shamblers was a new twist on the genre.

But, ultimately, I don't think I'll ever want to waste another two and a half hours of my life watching it again.

jpcamb 11-22-21 01:53 PM

I finally caught this over the weekend. It was OK, I would say better than the Walking Dead and better than say most things DC these days, but I have one question. Towards the beginning of the movie, the Coyote mentions zombies reanimating when it rains. I was expecting them to do something with that but they didn't, does anyone know if that was part of the comic book lore or just a red-herring to throw us off? While it was not great I'll watch the next movie when it comes out.

Why So Blu? 11-22-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 14015864)
I finally caught this over the weekend. It was OK, I would say better than the Walking Dead and better than say most things DC these days, but I have one question. Towards the beginning of the movie, the Coyote mentions zombies reanimating when it rains. I was expecting them to do something with that but they didn't, does anyone know if that was part of the comic book lore or just a red-herring to throw us off? While it was not great I'll watch the next movie when it comes out.

That might get explored in the sequel or anime. It was a red herring in AOTD.

davidh777 11-27-21 12:52 PM

I finally watched this after watching Army of Thieves, and I thought it was fun. Overlong for sure, but it did some different things from the usual zombie movie. I like Tig Notaro and had no idea she was added later, so well done there. Maybe I would’ve noticed had I been looking for it.