Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I've only been with the company for a couple of weeks, but these things are real. Since I joined these men, I've seen shit that'll turn you white.
Oh yeah that is the guy from OZ. I knew I seen him from somewhere before.
Old 02-03-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18723

A CGI Ghostbusters III?
Source: CISN Country February 2, 2007

Dan Aykroyd visited radio station CISN Country and revealed that a Ghostbusters III is in the works.

Aykroyd said that the film will be CGI and Bill Murray has agreed to do the voice of Dr. Peter Venkman. No word on whether Harold Ramis, Ernie Hudson or any other of the original actors will return to voice their characters.

I wonder if this was reported correct. He mentioned that he will be working on the Ghostbuster Xbox 360 game which will be CG and mentioned he will be doing motion capture work for it. Could be they mixed it up. If so, I wonder if they will scuttle this script to the game.

More info on that can be found in the Games forum in the Ghostbusters thread.
Old 02-03-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you listened to the original radio link (which is various places on the internet), Aykroyd is DEFINITELY talking about the MOVIE.

When I first heard this I was mild, even worried. But as my fanboy desire to see Ghostbusters III has slowly ramped up and I saw the possibilities here, I have become ecstatic.

The only three factors that are neccesary in my opinion:
1) Don't tone down the script, keep it dark. Hard PG or even PG-13 (latter preferred).
2) Go for a cool, comic-book blend style combining elements of realism and some nice graphic design. Cartoony is lame and photorealistic will look cruddy.
3) Make sure everyone gets in one room and records it. The spontaneous, ad-libbed banter between people actually interacting is NECESSARY for this to work. Reading the lines flat months apart in different states won't be nearly as fresh and funny.
Old 02-03-07, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those three suggestions sound on-target. My fear is that the studio that backs this film will demand that it be very kid-oriented since few cartoons oriented towards wider audiences have made a lot of money. Ghostbusters made its money because both kids and adults liked it and hopefully the cartoon can do the same.
Old 02-03-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TERRIBLE IDEA...I want to see a live action GB 3...why would Murray agree to this and not doing it live action? The "they're too old" argument doesnt work for me, especially after seeing Rocky Balboa...come on guys make it LIVE ACTION!
Old 02-03-07, 04:42 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
keep it dark. Hard PG or even PG-13
Old 02-03-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
TERRIBLE IDEA...I want to see a live action GB 3...why would Murray agree to this and not doing it live action? The "they're too old" argument doesnt work for me, especially after seeing Rocky Balboa...come on guys make it LIVE ACTION!
Makes sense to me. Live action would take much longer to shot, voice work can be done very quickly.

Plus, have you seen how fat Ramis and Akroyd are now? Yeeesh.
Old 02-03-07, 06:45 PM

If they're really doing this it sounds like they're targeting a younger audience. Instead of risking all the investment a live-action movie would cost and not having the theaters packed with all those who loved the original and sequel they're going cheaper with CGI and it'll problably pay off big time with the youngsters of today who don't even know who these guys are.

With that said, an all CGI movie might be decent, even good but I'd never see it. If the Ghostbusters has to end let it be with G2 not some half-assed attempt at making some quick cash.
Old 02-03-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119

The only three factors that are neccesary in my opinion:
1) Don't tone down the script, keep it dark. Hard PG or even PG-13 (latter preferred).
2) Go for a cool, comic-book blend style combining elements of realism and some nice graphic design. Cartoony is lame and photorealistic will look cruddy.
3) Make sure everyone gets in one room and records it. The spontaneous, ad-libbed banter between people actually interacting is NECESSARY for this to work. Reading the lines flat months apart in different states won't be nearly as fresh and funny.
1. With it being animated I'm sure R is probably out, PG-13 would be nice
2. The animators behind the Final Fantasy movies beg to differ, as do I
3. agreed
Old 02-03-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A cgi Ghostbusters could work if they use the cgi style that the Final Fantasy film used, but I'll believe it when I see it. How many times in the past have we heard Aykroyd talk about how it's "in production"? CGI would be great for hell if that's where they are going to go with this. I would love to see an all cgi episodes 7,8,9 for Star Wars with Mark Hamill doing Luke's voice along with the rest of the cast, but that's not going to happen.
Old 02-03-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I don't need it to be R. R is a little strong for Ghostbusters.

And the Final Fantasy CGI films don't count, because while it is an attempt at photorealistic humans, they're not ACTUAL people. When those ZootFly game videos were up, they had one of Murray, and it looked stiff as a board and glassy-eyed. It would be better to approximate and have it look alive than meticulously do it perfectly and have it look like a robot zombie. I would say it's a different ballgame when you have a real person to compare the fake version to.

I guess in theory it sounded kind of "for the fans" and by that I inferrred direct-to-DVD where those who wanted it could grab it. I'm sure many fans would prefer a theatrical release, though...

Last edited by tylergfoster; 02-03-07 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 07:19 PM
Suspended

Could this be the much speculated GB3 project?

YEAR ONE!! Harold Ramis To Write And Direct Jack Black For Judd Apatow!!
Harold Ramis (“Caddyshack,” “Groundhog Day”) writes and directs. Jack Black (“School of Rock,” “Nacho Libre”) stars. Judd Apatow (“40-Year-Old Virgin,” “Knocked Up”) produces.

I hope it will be funny, but I don’t see how!

(I’m lying. These three men are comedy gods.)

We don’t know what Sony's “Year One” is about, but it scarcely matters!
Old 06-04-07, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Other than Harold Ramis being involved, what would make you think that?
Old 06-06-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mijorico
Yeah, no kidding.
Old 06-06-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mijorico
Haven't you ever seen Ghostbusters 4: Rise of the Lone Gunmen or Ghostbusters 5: Jack Nicholson's an OCD Jerk with a cute Dog...

Or even the prequel, Ghostbusters: Venkman and Egon join the army?
Old 08-01-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs

YEAR ONE!! Harold Ramis To Write And Direct Jack Black For Judd Apatow!!
Harold Ramis (“Caddyshack,” “Groundhog Day”) writes and directs. Jack Black (“School of Rock,” “Nacho Libre”) stars. Judd Apatow (“40-Year-Old Virgin,” “Knocked Up”) produces.

I hope it will be funny, but I don’t see how!

(I’m lying. These three men are comedy gods.)

We don’t know what Sony's “Year One” is about, but it scarcely matters!

Maybe this has to do with the new rumor of Steve Carell and Seth Rogan being in GB3.

http://www.popcrunch.com/steve-carel...hostbusters-3/

Hollywood is preparing to butcher another classic 80s film franchise, according to a scoop from DreadCentral.com. The Office’s Steve Carell and funnyman Seth Rogan are just a couple of the comic on a short-list to star in a third follow-up to the 1988 comedy Ghostbusters. The 40-Year-Old Virgin co-stars will join the series’ original ghoul spookers; Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson; for a third film next Summer, “a reliable source, who cannot be named” says.
Is dreadcentral.com reliable?
Old 08-01-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably not, since this would be the second follow-up to Ghostbusters.

-Doc
Old 08-01-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver

-Doc
Unless they're counting the new videogame, which has the involvement of most of the actors and is being promoted as a true sequel to the movies.
Old 08-01-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Unless they're counting the new videogame, which has the involvement of most of the actors and is being promoted as a true sequel to the movies.

I thought that fell apart! It's still coming out?!

-Doc
Old 08-01-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always wanted to see a Ghostbusters III. The original is one of my all-time favorites and the sequel was my most anticipated movie for 1989 (way more than Batman), and I love both films.

But the time to have done a third film is long, long gone. The latest I could have seen them pulling something out would have been around 2001, where Bill Murray didn't look quite so old, and Harold Ramis didn't look quite so fat. Ackroyd's face would still work, and Hudson's aged the best. But unless the script would seriously play up their age (like Rocky Balboa or Indy 4), I wouldn't want to see this happen.

The video game, which might be in a bit of limbo, will simply have to do.
Old 08-01-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I've always wanted to see a Ghostbusters III. The original is one of my all-time favorites and the sequel was my most anticipated movie for 1989 (way more than Batman), and I love both films.

But the time to have done a third film is long, long gone. The latest I could have seen them pulling something out would have been around 2001, where Bill Murray didn't look quite so old, and Harold Ramis didn't look quite so fat. Ackroyd's face would still work, and Hudson's aged the best. But unless the script would seriously play up their age (like Rocky Balboa or Indy 4), I wouldn't want to see this happen.

The video game, which might be in a bit of limbo, will simply have to do.
Actually I recently saw Raimis do an interview and he didn't look as fat...

But as for the movie, IDK. I loved the first one and liked the second (though as a kid I was excited for GB2), but it seems like it's too late. This news, however, isn't surprising with so many 80s movies making a comeback.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 08-01-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-01-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver

AND the fact that GhostBusters came out in 1984, not 1988.
Old 08-01-08, 05:12 PM
Banned

Part 2 left a bad taste in my mouth back in 1989 that I didn't want to see another movie in the GHOSTBUSTER series.
Old 08-01-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
With all the 80s movies coming back with sequels and actually doing well, a Ghostbusters 3 could very well happen and as long as some of the actors from the originals are back, then it could be pretty good. If all 4 of the actors actually are in it, it would be amazing to see them back in their roles. It was fun to see Stallone as Rocky and Rambo again and Bruce Willis as John McClane, it would be awesome to see Aykroyd, Ramis, Murray and Hudson back in their roles one last time!
Old 08-01-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Is dreadcentral.com reliable?
Yes.

I think anything other than a video game is a bad idea, but I'll wait to complain until I hear otherwise. Personally I don't see this happening.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.