Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 07:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: Jason Reitman)

It's going to be hard to regain that 1984 magic.
Old 09-18-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel the worst mistake this franchise ever made was make a Ghostbusters 2. The first one is just too good for a sequel. Nothing was ever going to top the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man scene and any attempt to try was always going to pale in comparison. Ghostbusters probably should have forever been a stand-alone movie.
Old 09-18-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
I feel the worst mistake this franchise ever made was make a Ghostbusters 2. The first one is just too good for a sequel. Nothing was ever going to top the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man scene and any attempt to try was always going to pale in comparison. Ghostbusters probably should have forever been a stand-alone movie.
I've made the arguement here that for whatever reason, live-action comedy is not suited to sequels. I'd be hard pressed to think of any that are really good or worthy of the original. Hollywood keeps making them but the reality is that unlike action where a premise can work again and again, comedy is all about catching lightning in a bottle. The first rule of comedy is that the joke is never as funny the second time you hear it and that really applies to comedy sequels. The best you can really do is re-pair the leads in a new movie if they have great chemistry together like Mattau and Lemmon.
Old 09-18-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nthebag
It's going to be hard to regain that 1984 magic.
They couldn't even regain the magic 5 years later with the sequel using all the original cast.
This is going to bomb.
Old 09-19-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I love Ghostbusters 2. The original is better, and 2 is mostly a rehash. But I still maintain 2 is funnier and Vigo is scarier than Gozer.
Old 09-20-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I always enjoyed the animated series more than even the first movie. And to me Ghostbusters was never a "comedy", it was a scifi flick with some (very) funny characters. It wasn't something like Airplane! with all the absurdism, Ghostbusters had it's own structure and internal logic, it just also had characters that wisecracked their way through life.

The series was able to expand on it better because they focused on new adventures while having these characters deal with the crazy with their humor. That's how any future stories can succeed. ( I still think ATC wasn't that bad, it just needed some serious rewrites in the script stage).
Old 09-20-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
If The Real Ghostbusters hadn't come along and been so popular we probably wouldn't have gotten Ghostbusters 2. Or, at the very least, it may have been different from what we got, as I have a feeling that a lot of what happened with the sequel was done to align it more to the cartoon than its predecessor.
Old 09-20-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vipper II
If The Real Ghostbusters hadn't come along and been so popular we probably wouldn't have gotten Ghostbusters 2. Or, at the very least, it may have been different from what we got, as I have a feeling that a lot of what happened with the sequel was done to align it more to the cartoon than its predecessor.
I still remember being pissed off as kid when Ghostbusters 2 came out and completely ignored the cartoon where they were still active and going after ghosts, even getting Janine and Lous into the action. Part 2 always had that against it in my book.
Old 09-21-19, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Interesting side note. Lorenzo Music and Bill Murray both played the role of Peter Venkman AND Garfield, in major adaptations.
Old 09-21-19, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

It seemed like they toned down the sexual innuendos, language, and the overall horror themes to make it more kid-friendly due to the success of the cartoon. Which is funny because the first couple seasons of The Real Ghostbusters were actually scary. But how did it align with the cartoon? I don't remember anything carrying over.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I still remember being pissed off as kid when Ghostbusters 2 came out and completely ignored the cartoon where they were still active and going after ghosts, even getting Janine and Lous into the action. Part 2 always had that against it in my book.
I don't remember being pissed off but it was definitely a shock to see the guys reduced to kids parties. I guess it was done to give them the underdog status once again. The boys against a disbelieving public. In hindsight it was definitely a lesser sequel in comparison to everything that happened in the animated series.
Old 09-21-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
It seemed like they toned down the sexual innuendos, language, and the overall horror themes to make it more kid-friendly due to the success of the cartoon. Which is funny because the first couple seasons of The Real Ghostbusters were actually scary. But how did it align with the cartoon? I don't remember anything carrying over.
That's exactly what I meant, the fact that everything was toned down; it seemed targeted at a younger audience, for the reasons you provided, right down to the use of the NES Advantage to control the Statue of Liberty. It's been ages since I've seen Real Ghostbusters, but wasn't the version of Janine we got in GB2 closer to her cartoon counterpart? Either way, she certainly did one hell of an about-face between GB and GB2.
Old 09-21-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

That's exactly what I meant, the fact that everything was toned down; it seemed targeted at a younger audience, for the reasons you provided, right down to the use of the NES Advantage to control the Statue of Liberty. It's been ages since I've seen Real Ghostbusters, but wasn't the version of Janine we got in GB2 closer to her cartoon counterpart? Either way, she certainly did one hell of an about-face between GB and GB2.
Well Jenine did suddenly become a redhead in the sequel, which I always assumed was done because of the cartoon.
Old 12-02-19, 03:50 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Ghostbusters: Afterlife Trailer Reportedly Set to Release This Week
https://comicbook.com/horror/2019/12...-date-preview/
Old 12-02-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I, for one, am looking forward to this. Not a huge fan of the second one, but I'm not worried about that. It'll be fun to see what happened to the characters, as well as get a new generation, which is what the remake should have been. Looking forward to seeing the old crew again and seeing what guys like Paul Rudd and Finn Wolfhard can bring to the franchise. I feel like this one will pass the baton for the most part...
Old 12-03-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I love Ghostbusters 2. The original is better, and 2 is mostly a rehash. But I still maintain 2 is funnier and Vigo is scarier than Gozer.
I've posted this before (heck, maybe even in this thread!), but there's always been an unconfirmed rumor that Murray intentionally "phoned it in" (performance-wise) for Ghostbusters 2 because he did NOT want to have to make a third film.
Old 12-06-19, 11:18 AM

Hauntings are real. They happen all the time, although not necessarily in a supernatural sense.

Regrets about the past. Guilt over lost moments. Unfinished business.

The single mom and her two kids at the center of Ghostbusters: Afterlife have all these conflicts, complications, and issues—but on top of that, this family is also dealing with actual free-floating, full-torso vaporous apparitions, focused nonterminal repeating phantasms, and Class 5 full-roaming vapors.

Real nasty ones too.

A trailer for the July 10 film will debut on Monday, and Vanity Fair got an exclusive glimpse of the new characters at the heart of the story, with The Leftovers’ Carrie Coon starring as mom Callie, I, Tonya’s Mckenna Grace as her science-obsessed daughter Phoebe, and Stranger Things’ Finn Wolfhard as gearhead son Trevor. They have left everything they know and moved to a small town in Oklahoma after inheriting property from the father she didn’t know.

Director and cowriter Jason Reitman (Up in the Air, Juno) takes over filmmaking duties from his own father, Ivan Reitman, who directed the original two Ghostbusters films, and returns for this one as a producer. Afterlife “is a new adventure that connects back to the Manhattan Crossrip of 1984,” Reitman said, unlike the 2016 all-female reboot, which started its story from scratch and existed in a different storytelling universe.

“Manhattan Crossrip” is the technical term for that long-ago bizarre incident in New York involving an apocalypse-summoning skyscraper, a gargantuan killer marshmallow man, and four working stiffs who managed to fight back against an ancient Sumerian God named Gozer.

Most of the original cast have committed to returning as their classic characters, although it’s not clear in what capacity they'll appear. (Harold Ramis died in 2014, and Rick Moranis, who has limited his screen work in recent years, is not expected to reprise his role.)

We probably won't see much of the classic characters until the film itself reveals what became of them over the past three decades. Callie and her family are also wondering how those guys fit into their lives.

“As the family arrives at an old farm, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters,” Reitman said. “Trevor and Phoebe are about to find out who their grandfather was and whether they’re ready to pick up the proton pack themselves.”

Reitman doesn’t want to confirm much else about the family’s history, but people may already notice some familiarity in their appearance.

In the collapsing barn of their farmhouse, they find an old car, bloomed with rust, hidden beneath a tarp—the retro-ambulance turned ghost-hunting mobile. In this shot, Trevor lays eyes on his new ride for the first time, originally hinted at a year ago in the movie’s teaser.

Elsewhere in the house, which is packed with a mountain of books and lots of bizarre technology, Phoebe will find a device that reads psychokinetic energy. Ghostbusters fans will recognize that immediately as a tool of the trade from the original movies.

“The joy of cowriting a film like this is imagining the sound of Ecto-1’s engine revving back to life or the moment a PKE meter lights up for the first time and begins leading you toward your destiny,” said Reitman, who penned the script with Monster House and City of Ember filmmaker Gil Kenan.

While her brother tinkers with the car, Phoebe finds herself transfixed by the mystery of their new town—not just by the peculiar subjects in their dilapidated home, but strange rumblings from a nearby mine. In this shot, she and her schoolmate (played by Logan Kim) ignore warning signs to venture closer to the abandoned and dangerous place.

Trevor and Phoebe may actually know less about the Ghostbusters than anyone. What happened in 1984 is as mysterious to them as Van Halen and Run-DMC is to Billie Eilish.

Fortunately, they have a summer school teacher named Mr. Grooberson (played by Paul Rudd) who was a kid when the Manhattan Crossrip occurred. Although later generations may think of it as a myth, or not think of it at all, he remembers it obsessively and is excited to pass on what he knows.

Here we see the teacher stunned to be holding an actual ghost trap. It’s been a while since he’s seen anything like this, and never this close.

He might think he already knows a lot, but all of them are about to get an education in the otherworldly.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ife-first-look
Old 12-06-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Awesome poster!!!
Old 12-06-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Sounds like an interesting and different plot instead of just retreading like Ghostbusters 2 did. Looking forward to this and the images shown so far are cool.
Old 12-06-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it. Instead of trying to carry the weight of building a new story in the mythology, it just takes the mythology for granted and tells a new kind of story.
Old 12-06-19, 04:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Nice screenshots of Canada.
Old 12-06-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Cool poster and concept.

I wonder if Akroyd reached out to Moranis regardless of retirement.
Old 12-09-19, 08:17 AM

From director Jason Reitman and producer Ivan Reitman, comes the next chapter in the original Ghostbusters universe. In Ghostbusters: Afterlife, when a single mom and her two kids arrive in a small town, they begin to discover their connection to the original ghostbusters and the secret legacy their grandfather left behind. The film is written by Jason Reitman & Gil Kenan.

Directed by: Jason Reitman

Written by: Gil Kenan & Jason Reitman

Based on the 1984 film “Ghostbusters”
An Ivan Reitman film written by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis

Produced by: Ivan Reitman

Executive Producers:
Dan Aykroyd
Gil Kenan
Jason Blumenfeld
Michael Beugg

Cast:
Carrie Coon
Finn Wolfhard
Mckenna Grace
and Paul Rudd

Last edited by dex14; 01-26-21 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-09-19, 08:21 AM

Definitely brought a smile to my face...
Old 12-09-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

That's an interesting take.
Old 12-09-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Yes!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.