DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Which actors surprised you by becoming so big? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646237-actors-surprised-you-becoming-so-big.html)

inri222 12-28-18 08:39 AM

Re: Which actors surprised you by becoming so big?

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13469716)
John C. Reiley.

He's no star, but he can act.

Goldberg74 12-28-18 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13469722)
He's no star, but he can act.

As long as it's a serious role, he's okay... but most comedy roles he's had are one-note characters (especially if he mixes the two... like in GotGv1 and Kong: Skull Island, he takes me right out of the film.

For the record, I do like him in the Wreck-It Ralph films and his role in Talladega Nights.

Noonan 12-28-18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13469878)
As long as it's a serious role, he's okay... but most comedy roles he's had are one-note characters (especially if he mixes the two... like in GotGv1 and Kong: Skull Island, he takes me right out of the film.

For the record, I do like him in the Wreck-It Ralph films and his role in Talladega Nights.

He was pretty good in Perfect Storm as well.

Hazel Motes 12-29-18 07:34 AM

John C Reilly is both an amazing actor and someone that has appeared in stellar, top notch films for most of his career.

Jack Straw 01-01-19 04:28 PM

Jonah Hill...thought he was just gross in every conceivable way, and not all that funny either.

Michael Corvin 01-01-19 05:56 PM

Since we're making this more of a general Hollywood thing instead of just movies, how about Johnny Galecki? From a tiny role in Christmas Vacation to a secondary character on Rosanne to a decade of bit parts to the biggest show on television making $1m per episode on the Big Bang Theory. That's a helluva climb.

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13468474)
My pick is Jim Carrey - from Fire Marshall Bill and talking out his butt to the top of the A List and Golden Globe wins. Too bad he’s nuts with the anti-vaccine stuff.

Wow, didn't know about the anti-vaxxer stuff. -screwy-

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13469506)
The thing that Dwayne Johnson has going for him is that he’s so damn charismatic that he can get away with making so-so movies. His magnetic presence elevates almost anything he’s in.

You've nailed it. He so damn charming and likable in every role, no matter if it's a shit movie or not. He seemingly has chemistry with everyone he works with...which is probably a sign of his talent. I think his problem is that he's making the most of his fame and striking while the iron is hot and just taking every role he can. It'll slow eventually and he can get a little pickier with scripts and grow as an actor a bit more.

I have to disagree with Hazel though saying he hasn't had a single movie that stood out. I think he knocked it out of the park in Jumanji, and while voice acting is a different beast, he was fantastic in Moana.

Originally Posted by Jack Straw (Post 13472136)
Jonah Hill...thought he was just gross in every conceivable way, and not all that funny either.

He has his moments. He needs more Moneyball-like roles. As for comedy, I think his best role was the tiny cameo in Night at the Museum 2. He was good in 21 Jump Street as well.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-01-19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13469882)
He was pretty good in Perfect Storm as well.

Magnolia was another one

JeffTheAlpaca 04-27-20 08:30 PM

Woody Harrelson

Who thought the guy from Cheers would become a big star.

He also surprised me with how good of a actor he is since you might have thought he was a simpleton like his Cheers character.

TomOpus 04-27-20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13731584)
He also surprised me with how good of a actor he is since you might have thought he was a simpleton like his Cheers character.

You understand the concept of acting, right?

bluetoast 04-28-20 09:08 AM

Tracee Ellis Ross. Before, you’d just know her as Diana Ross’ daughter, with a few random shows here and there (though Girlfriends did have a long run), then she blew up a few years back on Blackish.

inri222 04-28-20 11:28 AM

Adam Driver

He's a great actor, but in a superficial world where looks play a major part, I'm surprised.

Ginwen 04-28-20 03:06 PM

Agree with Woody, and yes, I understand the concept of acting, but I just never would’ve guessed he could play anything else, and I think he is a decent actor.

Chris Pratt, who plays basically the same guy in everything, and is doing really well with it.

Robert Downey Jr, not because he was ever bad, but it totally seemed like he was going to die, or if he was lucky and lived be in straight video stuff.

JeffTheAlpaca 04-28-20 07:14 PM

It is strange Pratt of all the talented people on Parks and Rec became the biggest star from that show. He was kind of like Woody on Cheers on that show.

Girls or some girls find Adam Driver attractive which I don't get but good for him if he can get tail with unconventional looks and he is a good actor so no hate from me.

Nick Danger 04-30-20 10:46 AM

Danny DeVito. A short, fat, bald, utility actor became a marquee name.

JZ1276 04-30-20 02:39 PM

Pam Grier

Brack 05-01-20 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13732187)
It is strange Pratt of all the talented people on Parks and Rec became the biggest star from that show. He was kind of like Woody on Cheers on that show.

He was the dopey but lovable Bright on Everwood before Parks and Rec. I knew from that show he was going places.

d2cheer 05-01-20 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13731768)
Tracee Ellis Ross. Before, you’d just know her as Diana Ross’ daughter, with a few random shows here and there (though Girlfriends did have a long run), then she blew up a few years back on Blackish.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0133a410fa.jpg

E Unit 05-01-20 12:33 PM

Aaron Paul

brayzie 05-01-20 04:18 PM

Jackie’s boyfriend becoming the star of ER. Then the star of ER becoming the this famous ladies man, well-renowned actor, director, producer and activist. He’s like a real life Bruce Wayne.

That actor from an early 2000s indy film about a self-hating Jewish Neo-Nazi becoming an A-lister and Hollywood heart throb.

Paul Rudd. For some reason, when I first saw him, I thought he was one of the lesser known members of the Brat Pack. And he kept popping up in more and more movies, and I thought, damn, this dude doesn’t age.

J-Law. I really liked her in her first X-Men movie but it’s crazy to me that she’s become the #1 actress in Hollywood.