DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Persichetti, et al 2018) - Review Thread(Spoilers) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646163-spider-man-into-spider-verse-persichetti-et-al-2018-review-thread-spoilers.html)

Sonny Corinthos 12-21-18 06:42 AM

Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Persichetti, et al 2018) - Review Thread(Spoil

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13465908)
There is a female Doc Ock, but not Olivia Octavius, I'm pretty sure they created her just for that shock moment (and hammering home the "every universe is different" thing). Same with Scorpion.

Giant Green Goblin is from the Ultimate Universe (where Miles is from) though I don't remember him being so big. Prowler is from the normal universe too, and was actually in Homecoming (played by Donald Glover).

Thanks for the explanation. There's so many Universes out there, I can't keep track of all of them. Now the blonde Peter Parker who died, is he the one we all grew and loved or is he from another universe? And is Miles the only Spider-Man that is in the regular Marvel Universe?

fujishig 12-21-18 08:31 AM

Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Persichetti, et al 2018) - Review Thread(Spoil

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13466119)
Thanks for the explanation. There's so many Universes out there, I can't keep track of all of them. Now the blonde Peter Parker who died, is he the one we all grew and loved or is he from another universe? And is Miles the only Spider-Man that is in the regular Marvel Universe?

From the flashbacks, it seemed like the blonde Peter Parker was close to the Tobey Maguire one, though still not exactly (Doc Ock being a woman, Green Goblin being a huge monster, having a Spider cave, etc.). In that universe, only Miles remains (the one and only Spider-man). I wouldn't necessarily call that the "regular" Marvel Universe though. For this line of movies, maybe.

Aunt May did recognize female Doc Ock, so there's some history there. I'm also surprised the villains didn't go take out May and MJ once they found out Spider-man's identity, but I guess that would make it too dark. I guess they also didn't have time to really explain who Gwen was in relation to Peter.

fumanstan 12-21-18 08:59 AM

I kind treated the movie and all the characters completely separate, and assumed there's no "regular" Spider-Man that truly corresponds to any of the existing characters we've seen in the movie or comic book universes, even if there were allusions to scenes that the audience is familiar with. I took those as more fun easter eggs, because of some differences like fujishig said and just a good way to play on the audience's existing knowledge of Peter Parker as Spider-Man.

Time to channel my inner taffer, but i'm reading the Miles Morales comic books now and in that world you basically have the Ultimate Universe (called Earth-1610) which was a way to reboot all the Marvel characters and tell new stories. Ultimate Spider-Man started anew with Peter and ran for years, had him die at the hands of Green Goblin, and introduce Miles becoming the new Spider-Man. The movie kind of adapts concepts of a mini-series called Spider-Men too, where the mainstream Peter goes to the Ultimate Universe and meets Miles and realizes his younger self died, similar to the movie, so the older/fat Peter in the movie might be closest to assuming he's the "regular" Peter? Especially since he talks about a bunch of the shit that he's gone through that various comic book writers have done to the character.

A few years ago, there was an event called Secret Wars that effectively dealt with combining and destroying some of the alternate universes, and as as a result Miles moved to the mainstream Marvel comic continuity (Earth-616) where both he and Peter exist alive. I think I got most of that right.

Sonny Corinthos 12-21-18 10:24 AM

Thanks for the explanation guys. :thumbsup:

fujishig 12-21-18 11:20 AM

I liked how they used different voices for the Peter Parkers. And that Chris Pine actually sang the Xmas song.

Eric F 12-21-18 11:56 AM

I never read the Miles books either, now I might take a look.

devilshalo 12-21-18 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13466253)
I liked how they used different voices for the Peter Parkers. And that Chris Pine actually sang the Xmas song.

And I didn't know Oscar Isaacs was Spider-Man 2099.

fumanstan 12-21-18 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13466278)
I never read the Miles books either, now I might take a look.

I'm enjoying them so far! I started a thread about them in Comic Book Talk.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book...endations.html

Big Boy Laroux 12-22-18 07:19 PM

I took Peter B. Parker to be the original comics version. I'll have to watch again on video, but pretty sure when it showed the world's colliding, it showed Earth-616 as one of the ones coming together. Which would make him the OG Spider-Man.

Obi-Wanma 12-22-18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux (Post 13466999)
I took Peter B. Parker to be the original comics version. I'll have to watch again on video, but pretty sure when it showed the world's colliding, it showed Earth-616 as one of the ones coming together. Which would make him the OG Spider-Man.

One of the worlds was most definitely labeled 616.

TheBang 12-22-18 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13464836)
The style they used bothered me a bit when they made used an intentional (I think) blurring effect on objects and people that weren't the focus of the scene... it just made me feel like I was supposed to have 3d glasses on but didn't, or something.

Yes, thank you. That effect was bugging me for the first third of the movie at least, before I just had to ignore it.

movieguru 12-22-18 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13465276)
I thought he was actually a spider bit by a radioactive pig?

Originally it was but didn't they retcon it years later to make him a pig that was bitten by a radioactive spider to make it more inline as a spoof of the 616 universe.

Groucho 12-22-18 08:15 PM

I’ve never seen that retcon but it was definitely a spider bit by a pig in this movie.

Michael Corvin 12-23-18 09:37 AM

Saw this directly after Aquaman yesterday. What a fun and unique movie. Loved Morales' story and Spider-Gwen was awesome(need to check out some of her comics). The humor was fantastic but most of all, the animation style was amazing(which is why I was completely sold when the initial trailer hit a year ago).

I was hoping they would have gone the Morales route for the the MCU. Holland is fine, but nothing more than a rehash of a rehash of a rehash. I guess they could pull him in somehow once they fix the infinity stones/defeat Thanos.

The intro where they animated scenes from the Mcguire movies was awesome, especially the dance scene. :lol:

I loved it all except for:

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13464836)
The style they used bothered me a bit when they made used an intentional (I think) blurring effect on objects and people that weren't the focus of the scene... it just made me feel like I was supposed to have 3d glasses on but didn't, or something.

That was weird, and I only really noticed it at the school in the beginning.

Eric F 12-23-18 11:13 AM

Even when the characters were the focus of the scene- I recall one distinctly where Miles and Kingpin were having a close-up conversation, there was sort of a ghosting/halo effect around them. I kept thinking to myself, "the projector needs to be focused".

OldBoy 12-23-18 11:47 AM

and i loved the Stan Lee cameo. saying what he said, made it so much more poignant considering his death. such a fun, all-around, great, re-watchable Marvel movie...

dex14 12-23-18 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13467247)
and i loved the Stan Lee cameo. saying what he said, made it so much more poignant considering his death. such a fun, all-around, great, re-watchable Marvel movie...

Yea, I'd be fine if they cut his cameo out of Avengers: Endgame and just had this one be his last. It was great.

Tom Banjo 12-23-18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13467197)
Saw this directly after Aquaman yesterday. What a fun and unique movie. Loved Morales' story and Spider-Gwen was awesome(need to check out some of her comics). The humor was fantastic but most of all, the animation style was amazing(which is why I was completely sold when the initial trailer hit a year ago).

I was hoping they would have gone the Morales route for the the MCU. Holland is fine, but nothing more than a rehash of a rehash of a rehash. I guess they could pull him in somehow once they fix the infinity stones/defeat Thanos.

The intro where they animated scenes from the Mcguire movies was awesome, especially the dance scene. :lol:

I loved it all except for:

That was weird, and I only really noticed it at the school in the beginning.

There actually a tiny bit of Morales’ story that was ported over to Spider-Man: Homecoming, that being Ganke. Ganke is Miles’ best friend and roommate in the comics, but they made him Parker’s friend in that movie. I wish Ganke had been in this but it probably would have confused people.

OldBoy 12-23-18 07:51 PM

And I’ve always loved Jake Johnson. He’s just great in this...

fumanstan 12-23-18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13467352)
There actually a tiny bit of Morales’ story that was ported over to Spider-Man: Homecoming, that being Ganke. Ganke is Miles’ best friend and roommate in the comics, but they made him Parker’s friend in that movie. I wish Ganke had been in this but it probably would have confused people.

It was really weird reading the Miles comics now with the Ganke character, since I had zero knowledge about him when I saw Homecoming. I'm somewhat surprised they named the character Ned.

Tom Banjo 12-23-18 11:35 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot he was named Ned in the movie, but was still so obviously Ganke.

DJariya 12-24-18 05:38 PM

Saw a 3D showing yesterday and I really enjoyed this. Probably my 2nd favorite comic themed movie of 2018.

Amazing visuals and it was literally like watching a comic book come to life.

:lol: Loved Spider-Man Noir and Nic Cage making his voice. All the different Spider-Men characters were cool, including middle aged and overweight Spider-Man.

The last sequence was mesmerizing. I'm not a big 3D person and it's not for every movie, but it worked pretty well here.

My only issue was really the exaggerated way they animated Kingpin. His 1st appearance on screen some people in my theater laughed at the way he looked.

tanman 12-26-18 04:03 AM

Anyone else enjoying the soundtrack as much as I am?

OldBoy 12-27-18 08:15 PM

Anyone think this will win Oscar for best aminated feature?

tanman 12-27-18 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13469527)
Anyone think this will win Oscar for best aminated feature?

With both the Incredibles 2 and Wreck it Ralph 2 being pretty ho hum sequels I would be surprised if it didn't. But then again the Lego movie didn't even get a nominee nod so who knows.