Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Miles Morales Spider-Man Recommendations

Old 12-09-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Miles Morales Spider-Man Recommendations

So after watching Into the Spider-Verse and really enjoying it, I realized I don't know much about Miles and want to read Ultimate Spider-Man. What's the best/easiest way to catch up on everything about him?

Is it easiest to just read these Ultimate Collections Book 1 - 3?

Amazon Amazon

Or is there a better way to read them or other paperbacks I should pick up that these don't account for?
Old 12-09-18, 02:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Miles Morales Spider-Man Recommendations

check Hoopla
Old 12-09-18, 02:48 PM

Also, the first three volumes are on Comixology Unlimited if you haven't used your free trial there yet.
Old 12-09-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
So after watching Into the Spider-Verse and really enjoying it, I realized I don't know much about Miles and want to read Ultimate Spider-Man. What's the best/easiest way to catch up on everything about him?

Is it easiest to just read these Ultimate Collections Book 1 - 3?

https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Morales...=miles+morales

Or is there a better way to read them or other paperbacks I should pick up that these don't account for?
Those 3 collections are a good start and then jump to the series Spider-Men miniseries, which shows the start of the relationship between 616 Peter Parker and Miles and then the series after Secret Wars shows some of the evolving relationship between Spider-Gwen and Miles.
Old 12-09-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
check Hoopla
I don't know what that is.

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Those 3 collections are a good start and then jump to the series Spider-Men miniseries, which shows the start of the relationship between 616 Peter Parker and Miles and then the series after Secret Wars shows some of the evolving relationship between Spider-Gwen and Miles.
Thanks!
Old 12-10-18, 07:01 AM

Hoopla is a free website/app where you use your library card to access hundreds of thousands of digital books, albums, comics, and audiobooks. Depending on the library, you get ~10 free borrows a month.
Old 12-10-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's also a
novel novel
Old 12-11-18, 09:56 AM

The Ultimate Spider-man run with Peter Park leading up to Miles introduction is also really good, so if you can find it within your resources it's worth checking out and some of Miles' struggles (such as the weight of SM legacy or common villains/allies) tie into the prior storyline with Peter Parker (most relevantly just before Miles is introduced, but there's a lot of buildup to that). The Ultimate universe is so tangled together it's probably best starting at Peter Parker USM 1. If not then Ultimate Comics Spider-man v4 (issues 156-160) is probably a minimal prerequisite. Also Ultimate Spider-man 1 v17 Clone Saga (issues 97-105) introduces Jessica Drew who is a more instrumental character with Miles in his run.

I just finished reading through the Ultimate line and enjoyed it. All-New Ultimates, which features Miles and spins out of his USM line, is probably worth skipping - a cool idea of the USM side-kicks forming a team but not well written with inconsequential plot (but some cooler cartoonish art).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 12-11-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't suppose some of those are collected easily in some fashion in a trade? I'd be interested in the stuff with Peter and his death, unless part of it is included in the collection I mentioned earlier.

I think I'm going to get Vol. 1 of that with Amazon's $5 off books and see if I like it enough to continue. It has:

COLLECTING: Ultimate Fallout 4 (SM story), Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2011) 1-12, Spider-Men 1-5

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-11-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't suppose some of those are collected easily in some fashion in a trade? I'd be interested in the stuff with Peter and his death, unless part of it is included in the collection I mentioned earlier.
Ultimate Comics Spider-man v4 (issues 156-160) is the Death of Spider-man arc (which also crosses over with the optional Ultimates v New Ultimates storyline).
All of the Ultimate Spider-man franchise is collected in various manageable trades.

Specifically there are some dangling plot threads from Peter Parker era involving Green Goblin and Mysterio. The Green Goblin stuff is a core thread across the entire Peter-Miles saga and the Mysterio stuff is mostly surreal window dressing that could probably be picked up at Miles without missing much.
Old 12-11-18, 01:37 PM

I am going to answer your question differently than the other good replies.

Long story short, this is what you want

https://smile.amazon.com/Miles-Moral...%3A+Spider-Man

Unless you feel like you have the time and money to go through 100+ issues of young Peter Parker prior to Miles replacing him, that is the perfect jumping on point. I had my wife start there and she only knows regular Spidey from the movies and she was fine.

Do you already like comics by Bendis? If so I think it's safe to say you will like this since you enjoyed the new movie. The reason I ask is because if you feel confident enough to order two volumes at once, you can get book two here

and the combo of two books will qualify you for both a 10% off coupon, and a $5 discount (for spending more than $20 on books) as well as free shipping. Can't really go wrong.

If you proceed, let us know what you think after you read it! I enjoyed all the Miles stuff. There is also a book three and these should all cover the Spider-Men series that others recommended.
Old 12-11-18, 03:11 PM

Comixology is also having a sale on spider-man comics until 12/17 for digital format.
Old 12-11-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
I am going to answer your question differently than the other good replies.

Long story short, this is what you want

Unless you feel like you have the time and money to go through 100+ issues of young Peter Parker prior to Miles replacing him, that is the perfect jumping on point. I had my wife start there and she only knows regular Spidey from the movies and she was fine.

Do you already like comics by Bendis? If so I think it's safe to say you will like this since you enjoyed the new movie. The reason I ask is because if you feel confident enough to order two volumes at once, you can get book two here

and the combo of two books will qualify you for both a 10% off coupon, and a $5 discount (for spending more than $20 on books) as well as free shipping. Can't really go wrong.

If you proceed, let us know what you think after you read it! I enjoyed all the Miles stuff. There is also a book three and these should all cover the Spider-Men series that others recommended.
Thanks, that's the book and series I referred to originally and I ended up buying volume 1 this morning because of the $5 off and 10% coupon from Amazon, so it ended up being about $16. If I love it, i'll get Volume 2 sometime down the line.

It looks like i've read a good amount of Bendis work, including House of M, Secret Invasion, Siege and Alias, all of which i've enjoyed.
Old 12-13-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is also a new #1 that came out this week.
Old 12-13-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you just want to read and not collect, I'm pretty sure all of these comics are on the Marvel Unlimited digital subscription.
Old 12-13-18, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hoopla is awesome for reading all these comics and saving your money. Check with your local library and see if they subscribe to it and get a library card.
Old 12-14-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks, but my preference is to read these in physical format and buy the trades. I should have been more clear in my first post, as my intent was more "what collections should i be getting."