Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Christmas Chronicles (2018, D: Kaytis) S: Kurt Russell as Santa Claus -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Christmas Chronicles (2018, D: Kaytis) S: Kurt Russell as Santa Claus -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 07:00 AM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

<iframe width="668" height="376" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V0xv99h17QE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="668" height="376" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YaeDa_Uempk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Christmas Chronicles, a holiday adventure from producer Chris Columbus (“Home Alone”, "Harry Potter") and director Clay Kaytis ("The Angry Birds Movie"), tells the story of sister and brother, Kate (Darby Camp) and Teddy Pierce (Judah Lewis), whose Christmas Eve plan to catch Santa Claus (Kurt Russell) on camera turns into an unexpected journey that most kids could only dream about. After staking out Santa’s arrival, they sneak into his sleigh, cause it to crash and nearly derail Christmas. As their wild night unfolds, Kate and Teddy work together with Santa - as you've never seen him before - and his loyal Elves to save Christmas before it's too late.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2990140/
Old 11-19-18, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts
Re: The Christmas Chronicles (2018, D: Kaytis) S: Kurt Russell as Santa Claus -- Netf

This wouldn’t normally be an automatic skip but Kurt Russell’s presence ensures I’ll check it out sometime before Christmas.
Old 11-23-18, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: The Christmas Chronicles (2018, D: Kaytis) S: Kurt Russell as Santa Claus -- Netf

Watched this yesterday. Kurt Russell was fantastic and it was a charming little movie. Thumps up.
Old 11-23-18, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best new spin on the character since Tim Allen’s original “The Santa Clause”.

It was thoroughly enjoyable, and Kurt Russell was awesome as the not-so-fat man.

From what I understand, they are already talking about a sequel. Russell is on board, and I can’t wait.
Old 11-24-18, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Russell and the scene stealing elves raised this above the typical Hallmark and etc holliday movies.
Old 11-24-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Wife and I just finished this up and found it quite enjoyable. Really like the mythology for this Santa universe.
Spoiler:
Nice to see a more "fantastical" version of elves and liked how the bag worked. Also nice to see presents for everyone (when she fell into the bag you saw all kinds of gifts including cars), not just kids.

I'm sure this will be in our regular Christmas rotation.
Old 11-27-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Not a full review, but from my page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

...if you have Netflix, I do recommend The Christmas Chronicles as pretty good family entertainment. Kirk Russell is just right as a contemporary Santa who teams up with a couple of kids after they stow away and cause his sleigh to crash in Chicago. It's fun, has a few PG-level swear words and a scene where Santa's elves take on a room full of thugs, but it also has a rockin' musical bit after Santa gets arrested then turns on the Christmas magic with his fellow cellmates. It's even way more awesome than it sounds. Oh, yeah, and a great cameo surprise, but not a surprise at the end.

The old Jedi enjoyed it quite a bit, and I’m giving it 3.5 lightsabers.
Old 11-27-18, 07:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 169 Likes on 127 Posts

I’ll check this out with the fam.
Old 11-27-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 260 Likes on 153 Posts

Wife and kid like it. I was fairly bored. Maybe I’m just extra-Grinchy this season.
Old 11-27-18, 09:40 PM

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,329 Posts

I've made up my mind the only way I'm going to watch this is if I get to pretend the character Kurt Russell plays in this is the same character he plays in The Hateful Eight. That legit excites me.
Old 11-28-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The screenplay is nothing special at all, but the way Kurt Russel threw himself into his role kicked the entire thing up a notch or two above your typical Christmas fare. The cinematography and special effects were also quite good and the elves elicited a few chuckles.

The less said about the kids' acting, the better.

Oh, and I totally predicted:
Spoiler:
Goldie Hawn's cameo as Mrs. Claus
Old 12-01-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,452 Likes on 988 Posts

Was decent family fun. The way Russell played Santa was great . Elves we're good fun. Basically this was a Hallmark movie with $30 million budget.
Old 12-01-18, 09:59 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 263 Posts

surprised by how much I liked it.

the kids loved it.

The little girl was a decent actor, the teenaged son was terrible.

Nice production value. Bring on the sequel.
Old 12-10-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

This was great!! Hopefully they do a follow-up. Surprised to read how much Netflix is bragging about the viewership. It is amazing though, they stated it was watched over 20 million times in a week.

Russell was nothing short of fantastic in this.
Old 12-10-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Russell was nothing short of fantastic in this.
Yep, he really knocked it out of the park.

Entire family really enjoyed this one. Kudos to all involved, it was a very nice surprise.
Old 12-10-18, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
The screenplay is nothing special at all, but the way Kurt Russel threw himself into his role kicked the entire thing up a notch or two above your typical Christmas fare. The cinematography and special effects were also quite good and the elves elicited a few chuckles.

The less said about the kids' acting, the better.

Oh, and I totally predicted:
Spoiler:
Goldie Hawn's cameo as Mrs. Claus
The screenplay had maudlin and cliche moments, but it was also honestly funny with many well constructed moments.

Russell was of course outstanding. He most reminded me of his role in Captain Ron. That mix of extreme self confidence mated with total silliness.

The kid actor who played the older brother actually gave an outstanding performance. He had an arc that started out as a sullen teenager, and by the end he was an absolutely exuberant glowing little boy again, completely losing his shit as he gets an opportunity to drive Santa’s sleigh. He’s the real protagonist who undergoes a transformative adventure, and when you figure in that it was shot out of sequence, it is a real feat how he modulated his performance so we feel him changing over the course of the film.

I watched this with a half dozen 10-11 year olds and they loved it. It truly is a family movie, in the sense that it has silly shit like the elves that the youngest will love, and Russell chewing the scenery and going totally over the top which adults can enjoy. I smiled all the way through.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-10-18 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Easily the best movie with Santa since the Tim Allen movies. My kids loved it and Kurt Russell made a surprisingly good Santa.
Old 12-10-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Was decent family fun. The way Russell played Santa was great . Elves we're good fun. Basically this was a Hallmark movie with $30 million budget.
I would agree with this. If Russell wasn't in this it could easily be just another Hallmark Movie in rotation but Russell obviously adds a lot.
Old 12-10-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

I felt like he was throwing a bit of Jack Burton into his performance.
Old 12-10-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I really kinda loved this in a lot of ways. I LOVED how he knew everyones name and their complete Christmas history. Russell was great. Not the greatest script but not often you see movies now that just try to entertain with all their being.
Old 12-10-18, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was going well enough until the elves were introduced, then it felt like the remainder of the film went off the rails and never recovered story-wise.

Russell was great, though. He really can make ANY film instantly watchable.
Old 12-10-18, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I really kinda loved this in a lot of ways. I LOVED how he knew everyones name and their complete Christmas history. Russell was great. Not the greatest script but not often you see movies now that just try to entertain with all their being.
Yes. His knowledge of everyone reminded me of the scene in Groundhog Day where he’s been there months or years by then and he goes around the diner one person at a time and he knows everything about them.
Old 12-10-18, 07:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 708 Likes on 472 Posts

Loved it!
Old 12-14-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 261 Likes on 188 Posts

Watch it last night and it one my favorite holiday movie this year. Kurt Russell was great in this one. The elves were lot of fun they remind me of Gizmo from Gremlin. Will get the blu-ray when it come out.
Old 12-22-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A new Christmas classic IMO.
Very creative.
HDR makes it all come alive.
Kudos to NF for greenlighting another fine movie.
Anyone notice Steven Van Zandt from the E Street Band?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.