Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Quake (2018, D. John Andreas Andersen)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-30-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Had me at from the producer of "The Wave". Thankfully Dwayne Johnson is no where to be seen.

Old 06-14-20, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts
Re: The Quake (2018, D. John Andreas Andersen)

I just watched this (it's on Hulu currently). I saw The Wave back when it first hit video in the US several years ago and liked it, so I was looking forward to catching this sooner or later.

The beginning of this one is very slow, setting up what's going on with the main character now, a few years after the events of The Wave. The Wave starts out pretty slowly, too, IIRC, but this was perhaps even more so. Then things start happening as precursors to the earthquake and I kind of expected that part to extend a bit longer than it did but suddenly BAM, the quake happens. From there on it was pretty thrilling. It's not terribly original--sometimes it's downright cliche--but I found it scarier and more tense than the aforementioned Dwayne Johnson movies because this one isn't so over-the-top, so it has a more realistic feel. It's smaller in scope than, say, San Andreas, so aside from the first image of the quake, we are mostly shown the effects in one particular place where the main characters are. I wish the character Marit had been developed a bit more because she's a freakin' hero but we don't really get to know her much.
Spoiler:
Maybe Marit can be the main character in the next movie. What's up next, The Fire?