Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bird Box (2018, D: Bier) S: Bullock, Rhodes, Malkovich, Paulson -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bird Box (2018, D: Bier) S: Bullock, Rhodes, Malkovich, Paulson -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Bird Box (2018, D: Bier) S: Bullock, Rhodes, Malkovich, Paulson -- Netflix

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This movie was so unremarkable that Trent Reznor didn't even realize that Trent Reznor did the score.
Fixed.
Old 12-27-18, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
On that note, the birds are an early warning system (like canaries in a coal mine). So why do they make it seem (in the end) like the birds actually keep the monsters away?
They don't keep them away. The compound was covered in vines/plants that the birds lived in. When/if they started to go nuts, the people would know a "monster" is close and get inside if they weren't blind. Like you said, just a warning system.
Old 12-27-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Not bad. Some very big logic leaps just like AQP. It was a tad better than AQP IMHO. After 5 years however she should have developed better skills without seeing. It can easily be picked apart like AQP. But I enjoyed it enough to where I would give it a mild recommendation.
Old 12-27-18, 11:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Watched this last night. Haven't seen AQP and thought this was okay. Had much bigger potential, so felt that it came up short. I too didn't even realize Reznor and Ross did the score until the end credits.
Old 12-27-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

God I love the Interwebs

Spoiler:
Old 12-27-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I sort of like the communal viewing experience that Netflix provides, it's amusing
Old 12-27-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

As a huge fan of the book I was a little bit disappointed in the adaptation, but when is this not the case of a truly good book? My entire family literally tore through this book in a couple of days each. A number of scenes didn't quite live up to my expectations and I have to say the river parts of the book were much more intense and eventful than the movie. Some easy movie magic could have come out of the pages... I would have been very upset to see this in theaters for what it was although for a Netflix movie it was pretty good, not movie theater good but good.... B-
Old 12-27-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
God I love the Interwebs

Spoiler:

Old 12-28-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's crazy how this film generating so much buzz on Social Media. Everything from high praise to serious dislike... Social criticisms, Book Reader Explanations, Book reader comparisons, etc.

Old 12-28-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Netflix has had bunch of social media aware movies in the last month (this, Christmas Chronicles and for awards purposes moreso than movie talk, Roma). Whoever is green lighting these projects is nailing it (from Netflix's prespective)
Old 12-28-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Netflix has had bunch of social media aware movies in the last month (this, Christmas Chronicles and critical darlings Buster Scruggs and Roma. Also Dumplin appears to be doing well). Whoever is green lighting these projects is nailing it (from Netflix's prespective). Wish they would spread em out a bit though.
Old 12-28-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently viewed by 45 million accounts this week. That's nuts.
Old 12-29-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Hard to trust a company that never gives any viewership numbers, but then suddenly does.

Last edited by Deftones; 12-29-18 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
Hard to trust a company they never gives any viewership numbers, but then suddenly does.
Yeah, It's incomplete data and always will be. 45 million accounts watched what? The full movie? Five minutes? Ten minutes? The trailer?
Old 12-29-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I believe when a Christmas Chronicles came out they stated it was viewed by over 20 million in the first week. This accounts thing is a bit different...
Old 12-29-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Probably because of its similarity to A Quiet Place (it did big business) and SB is beloved by many.
Old 12-31-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm also amazed by the amount of SPOOF Videos being created for this film.
Old 12-31-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Does the book ever explain what was going on? I know for the last several years people have shown love for films that leave things vague or unexplained but explaining things isn't always a bad thing..
I just wanted to say something about this - sometimes when these stories are about “real” people who are just trying to survive (and not scientists or the military or the government) then why or how would they know what’s actually going on? It’s not like they have the time or ability to be out there running experiments or something. I think it’s far more realistic to keep them in the dark on the specifics.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this. She loves movies where society breaks down This was like the beginning of a zombie movie which is always big fun. Bullock was great, the rest of the cast was solid and it had enough twists and turns that I wasn’t always sure what was happening next.

Good job Netflix!
Old 12-31-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Started out really well, then went downhill, mostly.

A big WTF for me is why no life jackets? How long was she planning this trip, and she couldn't get life jackets or other PFDs, at least for the kids? The odds of the kids actually surviving those rapids without them are pretty much nil. It's not like they've learned how to swim.

And why all the running, at the end? You trip down the hill, and almost ruin everything, and you still don't learn? It's been five years. You know you have to see them for them to get you. Just walk and you'll get there.
Old 12-31-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
I just wanted to say something about this - sometimes when these stories are about “real” people who are just trying to survive (and not scientists or the military or the government) then why or how would they know what’s actually going on? It’s not like they have the time or ability to be out there running experiments or something. I think it’s far more realistic to keep them in the dark on the specifics.
I get that and as a Zombie film fan i know the "big bad thing/reason" isn't always explained. But I do think the more one dislikes a movie the more one wants to know WTF happened and why.
Old 01-01-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I wasn't planning to watch this. I really liked AQP and just saw ads, no trailers, for this, and some headlines and thought it wasn't my cup of tea.

Then the holidays happened, vacations, time off, and social media. This movie exploded, it was huge, it was impossible to avoid any meme, or reference to it. My wife, who doesn't like "horror" movies, and my daughter also wanted to see it, so that sealed to me.

It was entertaining, dumb in some parts, but I really like it. I thought AQP was better in general.
Old 01-01-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought it was dumb, and part of that is my fault. I saw all the memes and hype and assumed there was some huge payoff and there wasn't. I need a payoff, damn it!
Old 01-02-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

It's crazy how this film generating so much buzz on Social Media. Everything from high praise to serious dislike... Social criticisms, Book Reader Explanations, Book reader comparisons, etc.

I know, it's just another dud that went direct to netflix. In all honesty though, we're living in the era where shitty art is accepted as excellent - sad but true.
Old 01-02-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I know, it's just another dud that went direct to netflix. In all honesty though, we're living in the era where shitty art is accepted as excellent - sad but true.
Being able to watch new movies Day 1 at home is still a new concept for people. Once everyone is used to getting new movies on our streaming services on release, people will start to criticize more, IMO.
Old 01-02-19, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rival11
Not many people are saying Bird Box is excellent, it got middling reviews and overall feedback, but it's also something everybody has seen and has an easily spoof-able premise. It's not bad enough that they're outright mocking the movie, but it's more fun seeing creative uses of people in blindfolds than the movie is itself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.