Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

Old 10-13-18, 12:30 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

This is based on a real life story.

I wish his parents had given him a scary sounding first name, instead of Kermit.

The trailer looks like it's for an episode of Law & Order. This is not your typical "serial killer" movie.

It's rated PG-13, so there's nothing particularly graphic shown on screen.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosnel..._Serial_Killer

Spoiler:

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer is a 2018 American drama film about Kermit Gosnell, an abortion doctor who killed hundreds of infants born alive during abortion procedures, and was convicted of three counts of murder.

The film was announced in 2014. Funds for its production were raised via crowdfunding, in which $2.3 million was raised for the creation of the film. The film was made by Irish filmmakers Ann McElhinney and Phelim McAleer and directed by Nick Searcy. Andrew Klavan was the screenwriter. It stars Earl Billings and Dean Cain. After difficulties finding a distributor willing to carry the film and a lawsuit by a judge who objected to his portrayal in the film,[6] the producers announced on June 26, 2018 that they signed a distribution deal with GVN Releasing for the movie to open in as many as 750 theatres in October 2018.
Old 10-13-18, 01:51 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Traxan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,475
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

They are advertising the hell out of it on OANN, even more than Fox.
Old 10-13-18, 08:26 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 22,196
Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

I wouldn't consider an abortion doctor a serial killer. It does not meet the accepted definition of what law enforcement would classify as a serial killer. Also, was he really fat? Seems like an odd choice of words for a title. Then again, a movie backed by conservatives would not likely think of the word "prolific" instead of "biggest" when it comes to deriding abortions to their supporters.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 10-13-18 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-13-18, 09:53 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,829
Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I wouldn't consider an abortion doctor a serial killer. It does not meet the accepted definition of what law enforcement would classify as a serial killer.
Eh, there is a different between an abortion doctor and what this guy was doing.

This guy would "abort" full-term babies that were actually born alive, then kept parts of them as trophies. He would joke and laugh about tearing their bodies apart claiming they were often big enough to have jumped off the table to get away even going as far as claiming he stabbed thousands of them to death. Definitely not a normal abortionist and doesn't seem like he had any sort of time frame on when abortion would have normally been considered too late. He consistently violated the 24-hour informed consent law, and in the case of Karnamaya Mongar, actually resulted in the death of the "mother". At least seven newborns were said to have been killed by having their spinal cords severed with scissors after being born alive during attempted abortions.

So what does it take to register as a serial killer for you if killing full-term "born" babies and keeping body parts as "trophies" isn't one in your book?

He wasn't just aborting fetuses in the womb, he was killing babies after they were born.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Also, was he really fat? Seems like an odd choice of words for a title. Then again, a movie backed by conservatives would not likely think of the word "prolific" instead of "biggest" when it comes to deriding abortions to their supporters.
Funny enough the book actually used the term prolific as it was titled: "Gosnell: The Untold Story of America's Most Prolific Serial Killer".

Last edited by Koby; 10-13-18 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-13-18, 11:56 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,129
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

Originally Posted by Koby
This guy would "abort" full-term babies that were actually born alive, then kept parts of them as trophies. He would joke and laugh about tearing their bodies apart claiming they were often big enough to have jumped off the table to get away even going as far as claiming he stabbed thousands of them to death. Definitely not a normal abortionist and doesn't seem like he had any sort of time frame on when abortion would have normally been considered too late. He consistently violated the 24-hour informed consent law, and in the case of Karnamaya Mongar, actually resulted in the death of the "mother". At least seven newborns were said to have been killed by having their spinal cords severed with scissors after being born alive during attempted abortions.
Link please.
Old 10-13-18, 12:35 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,829
Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

Originally Posted by melasnus
Link please.
Some of it is talked about on the wikipedia page linked above, but you can simply google about Kermit Gosnell case facts and read up about the courts findings that led up to his conviction.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kerm...+case+findings
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dr...gosnell-trial/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1f9_story.html

Last edited by Koby; 10-13-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 09:09 PM
  #7  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

Originally Posted by melasnus
Link please.

There's a link in my original post to wikipedia's article on the movie. I used spoiler tags for the plot.

Here's the wikipedia article on the real life doctor on whom the movie is based:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_Gosnell
Old 10-14-18, 09:00 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,021
Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

Originally Posted by Koby
Eh, there is a different between an abortion doctor and what this guy was doing.

This guy would "abort" full-term babies that were actually born alive, then kept parts of them as trophies. He would joke and laugh about tearing their bodies apart claiming they were often big enough to have jumped off the table to get away even going as far as claiming he stabbed thousands of them to death. Definitely not a normal abortionist and doesn't seem like he had any sort of time frame on when abortion would have normally been considered too late. He consistently violated the 24-hour informed consent law, and in the case of Karnamaya Mongar, actually resulted in the death of the "mother". At least seven newborns were said to have been killed by having their spinal cords severed with scissors after being born alive during attempted abortions.

So what does it take to register as a serial killer for you if killing full-term "born" babies and keeping body parts as "trophies" isn't one in your book?

He wasn't just aborting fetuses in the womb, he was killing babies after they were born.



Funny enough the book actually used the term prolific as it was titled: "Gosnell: The Untold Story of America's Most Prolific Serial Killer".
I can't often say this, but I am truly sad I came to this thread and read what you just wrote. It is well past my sensitivity threshold and just even thinking about what he did is devastating. I need to go watch some movies with multicolor unicorns or something that is just beyond horrific.
Old 10-14-18, 09:08 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Traxan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,475
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

The movie avoids all the disgusting details and is just a courtroom thriller, although it had to be kind of dull since there was a total press blackout and no circus like you would think.
Old 10-14-18, 11:54 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,129
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer - October 12, 2018

Originally Posted by Koby
Some of it is talked about on the wikipedia page linked above, but you can simply google about Kermit Gosnell case facts and read up about the courts findings that led up to his conviction.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kerm...+case+findings
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dr...gosnell-trial/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1f9_story.html
Originally Posted by grundle
There's a link in my original post to wikipedia's article on the movie. I used spoiler tags for the plot.

Here's the wikipedia article on the real life doctor on whom the movie is based:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_Gosnell
Thanks for the links.

I don't know why I don't remember this...

This really isn't about the pro-choice/pro-life debate.
It's about how there is no limit to what some humans will do for money.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.