Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021, D: Sollima) S: Michael B. Jordan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Paramount Pictures has tapped Michael B. Jordan to play Clancy hero John Clark in a new film series, Variety has learned.

Sources tell Variety that Paramount is developing two pics based on the Clancy books “Rainbow Six” and “Without Remorse,” both novels in which Clark is the main star. “Without Remorse” will be the first film of the two, serving as an origin story for the character.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/m...es-1202896241/
Old 09-20-18, 01:45 PM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts
re: Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021, D: Sollima) S: Michael B. Jordan

There is the answer to what was discussed in the Jack Ryan thread.

I wonder if there will be any attempt at eventually crossing over the actors.
Old 09-20-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is my favorite book and I don't mind the racial switch of the character but similar to how I wasn't a big fan of Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher, I don't think Michael B Jordan fits the physical size of the character in my head. I know he was played by Willem Dafoe before but I didn't like that casting either.

He is described as a hulking man of 6'4 250lbs built like an NFL linebacker.

But I enjoyed the Reacher movies despite the casting so hopefully as long as the writing and directing are good, then this choice will work out.
Old 12-05-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

‘Sicario 2’ Filmmaker to Direct Michael B. Jordan in ‘Without Remorse’ Adaptation (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...an-1203081476/
Old 12-06-18, 07:05 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 169 Likes on 127 Posts

RUMOR: Back in the '90s Tom Clancy and Tom Selleck wanted to make a Magnum PI film, or series of films. I've heard speculation that when that project didn't get made he changed his script into this novel. So Without Remourse was actually a Magnum PI reboot/origin story.
Old 02-05-19, 07:01 AM

Paramount has set spy thriller “Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse,” starring Michael B. Jordan, for a Sept. 18, 2020, release.

Jordan is starring as operations officer John Clark, who is one of the recurring characters in Clancy’s Jack Ryan universe. In the novel, published in 1993 and set during the 1970s, “Without Remorse” provides an origin story of Clark as former Navy SEAL John Kelly, who exacts revenge on brutal drug gangsters in Baltimore.

Akiva Goldsman is the producer of “Without Remorse” with Jordan, Josh Appelbaum, and Andre Nemec also producing. “Sicario: Day of the Soldado” director Stefano Sollima is directing from a script by Taylor Sheridan.

Paramount is also planning to make a “Rainbow Six” movie with Jordan starring and producing. Clancy published “Rainbow Six” in 1998, following Clark as the head of a counter-terrorism unit that’s codenamed Rainbow. The Clark character appeared in 17 Clancy novels starting with 1988’s “The Cardinal of the Kremlin.”
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/m...se-1203128157/
Old 09-17-19, 02:24 PM

Jamie Bell is in final negotiations to join Michael B. Jordan in Paramount’s adaptation of the Tom Clancy novel “Without Remorse.”

Stefano Sollima, who most recently helmed “Sicario: Day of the Soldado,” is directing from a script by “Sicaro” screenwriter Taylor Sheridan.

As previously announced, Jordan is starring as operations officer John Clark, also known as John Terrence Kelly, a former Navy SEAL who goes to work for the CIA.

Bell will play Robert Ritter, the deputy director of operations at the CIA who was a major character in the Clancy universe and helped recruit Kelly into the CIA. Ritter has a presence in several Clancy novels including “Clear and Present Danger,” which was also adapted into a movie by Paramount.

Paramount plans to build a franchise around Jordan’s portrayal of Clark. In addition to “Without Remorse,” the actor will also lead “Rainbow Six” with production scheduled for 2019. The character has appeared in 17 of Clancy’s novels, starting with 1988’s “The Cardinal of the Kremlin.” Though mainly seen as a secondary character who helps CIA analyst Jack Ryan with the physical elements of missions, Clark finally stepped into the spotlight with the novel “Without Remorse,” which tells his backstory on how he came to work for the CIA.

Akiva Goldsman will produce the film along with Jordan, Josh Appelbaum and Andre Nemec.

Bell and Paramount have a strong relationship, coming off their recent effort on the Elton John biopic “Rocketman,” in which Bell played Bernie Taupin, the songwriter who penned John’s classic tunes. Bell was most recently seen in the neo-Nazi pic “Skin.”

He is repped by UTA.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...Sd8GfQtVBXqEoE
Old 09-17-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I wish they would stick to the 70s time frame, but I am sure they will just make it a modern story. I always think of Clarke as being older, but I am sure Jordan will tear it up.
Old 09-17-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
I wish they would stick to the 70s time frame, but I am sure they will just make it a modern story. I always think of Clarke as being older, but I am sure Jordan will tear it up.
It was always hard to keep track of timelines in Clancy's stories. I couldn't keep a good visual of John Clark with regards to his age and experience.
Old 09-18-19, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
RUMOR: Back in the '90s Tom Clancy and Tom Selleck wanted to make a Magnum PI film, or series of films. I've heard speculation that when that project didn't get made he changed his script into this novel. So Without Remourse was actually a Magnum PI reboot/origin story.
I've never heard the Without Remorse angle, but the Clancy/Selleck bit is 100% true. Universal said no because they believed that "no one wants to see a Magnum PI movie."
Old 09-18-19, 01:21 PM
Banned

It would have been great as a Magnum origin. A much more serious Magnum.
Old 10-04-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/10/without...ce-1202752666/

EXCLUSIVE: Jacob Scipio, Cam Gigandet, Jack Kesy and Todd Lasance are joining Michael B. Jordan’s Navy SEAL team in Paramount’s feature take on Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse.

Directed by Stefano Sollima, Without Remorse is the origin story of John Clark, played by Jordan, a Navy SEAL-turned-CIA ops officer, who seeks revenge after his girlfriend is killed by a Baltimore drug lord. At one point in the Clancy-lit-verse, Clark served as Jack Ryan’s bodyguard.

The foursome join already cast Luke Mitchell, who we announced was playing, Rowdy, another SEAL team member. Scipio and Gigandet we hear will respectively play Hatchet and Webb. Jodie Turner-Smith and Jamie Bell also star.
Old 11-21-19, 09:55 AM

<iframe width="679" height="382" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UOsC9LsMM3I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael B. Jordan debuted the first look at Without Remorse to his Instagram, which IGN is sharing here with permission from Paramount Pictures. Check out the teaser trailer for the upcoming Tom Clancy movie. Without Remorse stars Jordan as John Kelly, a Navy SEAL, who goes on a path to avenge his wife's murder only to find himself inside of a larger conspiracy. It is slated to hit theaters on September 18, 2020.
Old 07-23-20, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...on-1234714715/

Looks like this will become an Amazon Prime streaming exclusive

Amazon Studios is in final negotiations to buy worldwide rights “Without Remorse” from Paramount Pictures, Variety has learned.

The Tom Clancy thriller stars Michael B. Jordan as U.S. Navy SEAL John Clark. If it closes, the pact makes sense for Amazon, which backs “Jack Ryan,” the espionage series starring John Krasinski as the titular CIA analyst. It also give the streaming service a major action-adventure with one of the hottest stars in the business. It may be a sign of the more commercial and broadly appealing direction that Amazon will go in the future. The film is expected to premiere on Amazon Prime.

“Without Remorse” is directed by Stefano Sollima, who previously collaborated with Amazon on the drug trafficking series “ZeroZeroZero.” It co-stars Jamie Bell, Jodie Turner-Smith, and Luke Mitchell. Taylor Sheridan of “Hell or High Water” and “Sicario” fame wrote the script. Clark is one of Clancy’s most beloved characters, having been previously played by the likes of Willem Dafoe (“Clear and Present Danger”) and Liev Schreiber (“The Sum of All Fears”). Akiva Goldsman wrote the script. “Without Remorse” follows him as he tries to exact vengeance for his wife’s murder.
Old 02-08-21, 11:35 AM

Re: Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021, D: Sollima) S: Michael B. Jordan

Without Remorse will launch globally on Amazon Prime Video on April 30, 2021.

When a squad of Russian soldiers kills his family in retaliation for his role in a top-secret op, Sr. Chief John Kelly (Michael B. Jordan) pursues the assassins at all costs. Joining forces with a fellow SEAL (Jodie Turner-Smith) and a shadowy CIA agent (Jamie Bell), Kelly’s mission unwittingly exposes a covert plot that threatens to engulf the U.S. and Russia in an all-out war. Torn between personal honor and loyalty to his country, Kelly must fight his enemies without remorse if he hopes to avert disaster and reveal the powerful figures behind the conspiracy. Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse stars Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Bell, Jodie Turner-Smith, Lauren London, Brett Gelman, Jacob Scipio, Jack Kesy, Colman Domingo, and Guy Pearce.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (02-08-21)
Old 02-08-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 424 Likes on 338 Posts

This one I'm looking forward to a lot. I'm a big Michael B. Jordan fan since Friday Night Lights and I always thought they should make a John Clark or Rainbow Six movie.
Old 02-08-21, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody else remember the old Tom Clancy books FAQ from the usenet days? Talked about reading order and such? And one of the questions they had asked of Clancy was if John Clark was meant to be a black man and Clancy said he was a white guy.

I have no problem with his casting, I welcome the diversity of characters/actors, I just thought it amusing that this was the only "race" question I remember from the old discussions and now that needs to be updated.
Old 02-08-21, 01:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

After the Clear and Present Danger movie was released, I was really hoping they would greenlight a Rainbow Six movie with Willem Dafoe. I loved him as Clark.
Old 02-08-21, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts

I am another who thought Defoe did a good job as Clark but this will be interesting to watch also. And if it's on Prime, the price is right.
Old 02-08-21, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

I’m excited for this as well. It’s been years since I’ve read a Clancy novel though. I think Rainbow Six was the last one I read.

The Jack Ryan show is fun but flawed.
Old 02-08-21, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,157 Posts

“Rainbow Six” read like a movie script - it was a no-brainer. Not sure why it didn’t happen.

I’m looking forward to this and REALLY looking forward to not having to leave my home to watch it.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 01:17 PM
Banned

That description sounds like they changed every single thing about the novel.
Old 02-09-21, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
That description sounds like they changed every single thing about the novel.
Wasn't he a Viet Nam vet in the original novel? He'd be to old if they tried that now.
Old 02-10-21, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 424 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Wasn't he a Viet Nam vet in the original novel? He'd be to old if they tried that now.
Another war wouldn't be a significant change. Gladly for Hollywood they can choose from a lot of wars.
Old 02-10-21, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 330 Likes on 270 Posts

If this is the same Without Remorse I read back in the day (one of only a small number of Clancy books I read, and I read this one twice as I liked it a lot) there is an intense torture scene where one of the villains in the book gets his comeuppance but the scene as described in the novel might be a bit rough/intense to put on the screen. Anyway, it sounds like it deviates a lot from the novel but I will pass judgement on the movie when it eventually hits cable/streaming.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.