Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (McQuarrie, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mission: Impossible - Fallout (McQuarrie, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
17.86%
42.86%
30.36%
5.36%
1.79%
0%
0%
1.79%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (McQuarrie, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible - Fallout (McQuarrie, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thre

This was Fantastic, this is a great franchise.
Old 07-30-18, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible - Fallout (McQuarrie, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thre

One thing I noticed, especially after watching the first 5 in the week or so before seeing Fallout, is how much more the original Mission Impossible themes and music cues were integrated into the soundtrack.
Old 07-30-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Henry Cavill said on Kimmel the other night that the big bathroom fight scene took 4 weeks to shoot.
holy shit.
Old 07-30-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Cruise IS starting to show his age, though. He looks like a guy in his mid 40's. When he was 50 he looked 35. Now he's 56 and looks 46 (or so). That's not bad at all, but time is just starting to catch up with him. Can he do another one? SHOULD he?

I'm thinking this is the perfect place to end the series. Before he looks like a 50 year old trying to compete with 30 year olds in physical action sequences. At a certain point in the next few years he's not going to be believable as someone getting the best of a well trained 30 year old in a fight.
56 year old Tom Cruise does physical action and stunts better than anyone in any of the current superhero movies, including the roided up Chrises. He may be a crazy loon in real life, but I'll give it to him for being ultra dedicated to his craft.
Old 07-30-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
56 year old Tom Cruise does physical action and stunts better than anyone in any of the current superhero movies, including the roided up Chrises. He may be a crazy loon in real life, but I'll give it to him for being ultra dedicated to his craft.
Absolutely, but he is starting to show his age. He got hurt making this one, too.

This just seems to be the perfect place to stop this series, before he ages more and starts to lose credibility. He'd be almost 60 when doing the next one if they do it. It just feels like there's no way they can match this one, let alone top it, especially given his age.
Old 07-30-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I was blown away by this movie. Major recency bias, but I may put it on top 5 action movies ever.

It was relentless and I never had a moment to catch my breathe. Halo jump --> bathroom fight --> car/motorcycle chase in Paris --> running through London --> Helicopter chase. All these great action set pieces in one movie. Damn this movie was fun.
Old 07-30-18, 03:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Mission: Impossible - Fallout...i was giddy the whole time. you had no idea where it would go and it went far and worked so well in every facet.

the brawn, the wit, and this certainly brought the heart. loved it all. amazing what lack of CGI, or very minimum, can look like. these type of action movies are just so good when done well (and unfortunately, too few and far between). you have to have mix of all and this one packs it all.

they said this was the most action packed, but i didn't think so. i thought action was great of course, but movie wasn't balls to walls and had some excellent setups, twists, turns and character development.

Cavill was great in his role. too bad he won't be around in this series again. same goes for Baldwin. he looked real good and so thin. always like him, even in small roles. so memorable, always. but, if they keep the core 4 (Cruise, Ferguson, Pegg, Rhames), i'll be happy. i guess, as a team, they are legit now?

that last action set piece with the helicopters was incredible and probably one of best chases put to screen.

the fight choreography was just amazing throughout and the styles of each was great. Cavill, Cruise and Ferguson definitely all had distinct traits that made them unique and different in fighting. that's good choreography and thought by director. so brutal, yet poetic.

was it best in series? not sure. want to finish Rogue Nation before pass judgement, but this is definitely top 2. just a great thrill ride all the way through and 2.5 hours, no way it went so fast.

also, just love Cruise. always have, always will. he always brings it when he does anything. evolve or die in this business and i truly think he has evolved, though he does do mostly action pics, but American Made and Magnolia certainly proved he can do so much more.

Old 07-30-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Good, not great and probably ranks #3 in the series (with the first one a close fourth, and Rogue Nation and Ghost Protocol being #1 and 2 respectively). The stunts as always was great and some fine twists, but something about the story felt off. Still, for a franchise going strong 20+ years later is impressive. 3.75/5
Old 07-30-18, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't think it was quite as great as everyone else seems to think, but still pretty damn fun. The action just always delivers in these movies, and I'm glad to see the story continue in this movie even though I don't remember Rogue Nation much at all, but I appreciated the call back to Ethan's wife from Part 3.

My main disappointment plot wise was that it seemed way too obvious that Cavill was going to be the bad guy. I was hoping for some sort of twist that it wasn't the case, but oh well. Or... let him live and continue in future movies, because he does make for a great douchey villain.

Ghost Protocol is still probably my favorite, with that Burj Khalifa scene still the craziest action stunt for me.
Old 07-30-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ultimaton

Also, don't know how many people will have caught this, but the White Widow is the daughter of the first movie's villain. I thought that was a nice easter egg/bit of world building that probably went unnoticed by a lot of people.
When the character mentioned Max, I was wondering if that was what she was alluding to!
Old 07-31-18, 09:29 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Here is a pretty interesting interview with McQuarrie:

'Mission: Impossible' Director on the Dark Plotline Cut From 'Fallout
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...as-cut-1130744

It is pretty incredible to see the end result based on them not having a complete script and making shit up as they went along.
Old 07-31-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IIRC, they shut down production on Rogue Nation to re-write the opening sequence.
Old 07-31-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Here is a pretty interesting interview with McQuarrie:

'Mission: Impossible' Director on the Dark Plotline Cut From 'Fallout
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...as-cut-1130744

It is pretty incredible to see the end result based on them not having a complete script and making shit up as they went along.

They've been making shit up as they go along with these film since part one.
Old 07-31-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the timeline between the first MI to this one? I only ask because I'm trying to wrap my head around how the White Widow could be Max's daughter. Max, played by Vanessa Redgrave, was 59 when MI1 came out, Vanessa Kirby, who played the White Widow, is 30; MI1 came out 22 years ago, which means Max was in her early 50s when WW was born? Even if the timeline was less than 22 years, and the White Widow is older than 30, that still means Max was in her mid-40s or so.

Now, I suppose if the White Widow was taken in (i.e. adopted) by Max, maybe that works, but I just wonder why she couldn't have been Max's granddaughter or niece or something.

...or I could be overthinking these things and just go along with it.

Still a nice callback and the White Widow character had the same kind of traits as Max.
Old 07-31-18, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
What is the timeline between the first MI to this one? I only ask because I'm trying to wrap my head around how the White Widow could be Max's daughter. Max, played by Vanessa Redgrave, was 59 when MI1 came out, Vanessa Kirby, who played the White Widow, is 30; MI1 came out 22 years ago, which means Max was in her early 50s when WW was born? Even if the timeline was less than 22 years, and the White Widow is older than 30, that still means Max was in her mid-40s or so.

Now, I suppose if the White Widow was taken in (i.e. adopted) by Max, maybe that works, but I just wonder why she couldn't have been Max's granddaughter or niece or something.

...or I could be overthinking these things and just go along with it.

Still a nice callback and the White Widow character had the same kind of traits as Max.
The actor's age doesn't need to correlate to the character's.
Old 07-31-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
The actor's age doesn't need to correlate to the character's.
Except Vanessa Redgrave looked like she was in her mid to upper 50s. IDK, just kind of something I took notice of while I was watching the movie...
Old 07-31-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Article in The New York Times on the five most dangerous stunts in the M:I franchise:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/m...ype=collection

This paragraph in the section on the underwater sequence in ROGUE NATION really bothered me:

Mr. Cruise and his co-star Rebecca Ferguson “trained with an extreme diver,” Mr. McQuarrie said. “He learned how to hold his breath for six and a half minutes. By the time that sequence was over, Tom was so physically and mentally exhausted, he had nitrogen in his blood, he was achy all over, he was very punchy, it was hard for him to focus and remember lines. He was exhausted all the time. It took a really severe physical toll on him.”
If I was a director, I wouldn't be bragging about this. I'd feel horrible I'd put an actor through that and I'd never do it again. Yet this guy made a whole other movie with equally life-threatening stunts with the same actor. Movie production is not supposed to leave actors in that condition. Especially the star. Even if the star insists on it, it's the director and producer's job to say no. This all strikes me as extremely irresponsible. It's a miracle Cruise hasn't been killed yet on one of these shoots. How did the studio and the insurance companies ever agree to this?
Old 07-31-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Article in The New York Times on the five most dangerous stunts in the M:I franchise:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/m...ype=collection

This paragraph in the section on the underwater sequence in ROGUE NATION really bothered me:

If I was a director, I wouldn't be bragging about this. I'd feel horrible I'd put an actor through that and I'd never do it again. Yet this guy made a whole other movie with equally life-threatening stunts with the same actor. Movie production is not supposed to leave actors in that condition. Especially the star. Even if the star insists on it, it's the director and producer's job to say no. This all strikes me as extremely irresponsible. It's a miracle Cruise hasn't been killed yet on one of these shoots. How did the studio and the insurance companies ever agree to this?
Except it doesn't matter who the director is or what he says, it's been known for the last few entries that Tom is going to do whatever he wants to push the limits in these movies and that's kind of his thing. And since he's still one of the Producers, i'm sure he gets his way.

Just think of it like an even crazier version of what Jackie Chan always did
Old 07-31-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Different frame of mind I guess. I love that he performs those stunts. I’d imagine he has the backing that he has stuff run through many elite stunt people.

If he does have to insure, I’m sure someone does it for a price. Because ... he is Tom Cruise.

The first and second have a special place in my heart. But they play like goofy nonsense next to the others.

Fallout stressed me out. The mystery left me hanging on every word. Exactly what it was meant to do. Take away the MCU and there has been a vacuum in good action escapism. I’ve still never relived the high of watching Die Hard 3. But movies like Fallout bring back the satisfaction of watching people shoot and run and blow stuff up.
Old 07-31-18, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
What is the timeline between the first MI to this one? I only ask because I'm trying to wrap my head around how the White Widow could be Max's daughter. Max, played by Vanessa Redgrave, was 59 when MI1 came out, Vanessa Kirby, who played the White Widow, is 30;
they really tied to I? i never caught. that's her daughter?
Old 07-31-18, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Yes.
Old 07-31-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Except it doesn't matter who the director is or what he says, it's been known for the last few entries that Tom is going to do whatever he wants to push the limits in these movies and that's kind of his thing. And since he's still one of the Producers, i'm sure he gets his way.

Just think of it like an even crazier version of what Jackie Chan always did

Exactly. Cruise is the producer, hence, the boss.
Old 07-31-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Yep. Found this online (couldn't remember the exact quote):

"There was another side to her. A side most people never saw. It is that part of her spirit that has brought us all together tonight. Max was something of a paradox. She had a fascination with paradoxes - a fascination she passed on to me. Max had no illusions about the world we live in, but she had dreams of a very different future. One in which her unique talents were no longer required. All she earned from the way the world is went into making it what it could someday be."
Bolded one in particular stood out.

Hopefully the character comes back for #7. Be an interesting wrinkle for Hunt and his next mission.
Old 07-31-18, 10:16 PM

that's cool.
Old 08-01-18, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the movie, twist and turns, action on top of action, music theme...had a great time.

The action kind of wore my wife out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.