Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018, D: Bayona)— The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018, D: Bayona)— The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Have at it....
Old 06-22-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018, D: Bayona)— The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thre

From my review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (PG-13) - Good, but not-quite-great sequel spends almost its entire time setting up Part 3

Jurassic World (2015) was a fun ride that renewed the public’s interest in the Jurassic Park franchise, and fueled Chris Pratt’s continued rise to superstardom. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, on the other hand, has some fun visuals and a few exciting action set pieces, but seems more concerned with beating us over the head with the message “Just wait till you see Part Three!”

As the story begins, the volcano on Isla Nublar is erupting, and a government hearing, with Dr. Ian Malcolm as the expert witness, has decided to let nature take its course and not intervene as the island’s dino population is wiped out. Claire Dearing (Bryce Dallas Howard), who now heads a dino protection group, is contacted by a philanthropist's lawyer (Rafe Spall) about a plan already underway to rescue as many dinos as possible for relocation to another isolated island preserve, and away from the public eye. As part of the effort, Claire is told specifically that Blue, the trained velociraptor, must be located and rescued, as well. That means Owen Grady (Chris Pratt) must accompany Claire and a small entourage to the island as they restart the dino tracking system and assist the rescue hunters already at work on the island rounding up the beasts.

Needless to say, things don’t go as planned, there are huge double-crosses and nefarious dealings that we see coming a mile away, and the movie becomes one giant set-up for the inevitable part three. The plot doesn’t even try to hide that fact, as we see all the pieces fall into place, and the movie becomes pretty predictable, although it is cool seeing Blue become the MVP of the entire film.

I’m not trying to say that Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is not worth watching - it actually is. It is unfortunate that we just don’t get the same thrill from the magic of seeing living, breathing dinosaurs on the big screen like in past Jurassic films. But there are some really good moments, such as the home videos of Owen training baby Blue and her sisters, that are “awwwww”-inducing, or the extensive comedic bit when a dome-headed dinosaur sort-of comes to the rescue. At the same time, we have to put up with Ted Levine’s scenery-chomping fortune-hunting rescue leader, and a stereotyped IT expert (Justice Smith), who’s primary jobs are to reboot ALL the systems (at least four times by my count), fret about the fan-favorite T-Rex (multiple times), and scream like a little girl (I lost count). He is counterbalanced by Danielle Pineda’s paleo-veterinarian, who plays a critical role when Blue’s well-being is threatened.

The visual effects continue to be state of the art, the dino designs, both CGI and practical, remain impressive, and the bombastic score is, well, okay. Still, I enjoyed Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom as the obvious Part Two in a multi-part story. I just wished the filmmakers not been so blatant about it. I am giving Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES TO PARENTS: MILD SPOILERS AHEAD - Jurassic World: Hidden Kingdom is rated PG-13 for dinosaur-related mayhem, including dismembering and eating some humans, but surprisingly very little blood is shown. There are a handful of PG-level profanities. Blue attacks a human in self-defense, and is injured. There is some sad imagery as Isla Nublar is overtaken by the eruption of the volcano, and dinos are trapped by slow-moving lava, unable to escape. A new type of predatory dinosaur stalks our heroes through a museum-like mansion. A child is shown in peril multiple times.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There are NO mid-credit scenes. There is one after-credit scene that re-emphasizes what the end of the film has already told us, but is completely unnecessary and not worth staying for.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES.

Orb-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 06-22-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018, D: Bayona)— The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thre

As I said in the other thread, I found it depressing. I also thought it was hilarious that the big reveal regarding Lockwood's granddaughter being a clone gets a few seconds of screen-time and was never referenced again.

That's probably the only new thing this film brought to the table, unlike JW where we finally were able to see a fully functional theme park, this film is somewhat similar to TLW.
Old 06-22-18, 10:53 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

My review of JW:
Rented this in blu ray. This movie fails on every level.

First of all there isn't one likeable character. The bloodsucking lawyer from Jurassic Park is more likeable than anyone in this film. The kids are especially unlikable. The kids in the first film had moments where they were unlikable, but that was part of the story in reguards to Dr. Grant's arc of becoming paternal. These kids are given no reason for why they are such pieces of shit. They just are.

The mom is unlikable, the fucking assistant who's supposed to watch them is unlikable, everyone was an asshole. The premis that Chris Who-Can-Keep-Track is the Dino Whisperer is just stupid. That should have never been included.

Instead of using an actual dinosaur that science is aware of the filmmakers have the stupid, unlikable characters invent a stupid, unlikable mean dinosaur that never existed. Why is this necessary? It's not. They should have just used a T-Rex. That's what everybody wants anyway. Not this bullshit, never existed dinosaur. The thing is given way too much screen time.

This movie's call backs to the original are unearned. I will label them "flagrant fan service" on the grounds that the filmmakers pilfer these signifiers and props without managing to pilfer any of the themes or intent or majesty of the original.

Fucking Hollywood garbage. Not worth a rental.
Will I like this one?
Old 06-22-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
My review of JW:

Will I like this one?
You'll fucking hate it. It's shit we've already seen before.

There's a callback to the brachiosaur from JP1 that's fucking depressing as hell. Fuck this film.
Old 06-22-18, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
My review of JW:

Will I like this one?
Based on your Bluray review - no.
Old 06-22-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

As I said in the other thread, I found it depressing. I also thought it was hilarious that the big reveal regarding Lockwood's granddaughter being a clone gets a few seconds of screen-time and was never referenced again.
Yeah, that subplot was fucking irritating due to them not expanding on it some more. Hell, the granddaughter's "keeper" was most likely another clone or the actual mother they used a sample from to clone the little girl from. And what happens? She gets fired at the end and that's it.

I had to see who wrote the film an it's credited to Trevorrow and Derek Connolly, who wrote Safety Guaranteed and I fucking love that film - it even went on my top-10 list for that year.
Old 06-22-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and since I left as soon as it ended I did not stay for the after credit sequence. What was it?
Old 06-22-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Figured out Maisie was a clone pretty early on. Surprised she processed it so quickly and was ok with it once it came out from Mills. Will be interesting to see what the next installment will be.

For as mega-hyped the Indo-Raptor was made out to be, it really wasn't that smart. What happened to all the other traits the Indominus Rex had? Camouflage?

Whatever happened to the lysine contingency? Was that taken out in the last movie? I can't recall.

This felt like the end of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
Old 06-22-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Oh, and since I left as soon as it ended I did not stay for the after credit sequence. What was it?
Pteranodons settling on the Eiffel Tower at the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas.
Old 06-22-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kind of ironic that the T-Rex roaring at the lion was literally a few seconds long and in freakin' montage.
Old 06-22-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Whatever happened to the lysine contingency? Was that taken out in the last movie? I can't recall.
TLW established that they adapted to it.

pterodactyls in Vegas.
Old 06-22-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Have at it....
Wait, where is the poll?
Old 06-22-18, 12:31 PM

Lizard birds in Las Vegas. I could have been home 10 minutes earlier... Added nothing, as it was already established that Blue was probably in approximately the same part of the country scouting out a place to live in the suburbs...
Old 06-22-18, 12:34 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This was fucking terrible. I don't think I enjoyed a minute of it.

Man... the married duo of Kennedy and Marshall on fire with shitty duds. Fuck this stupid ass script by Trevorrow.

If people thought the kids in the last one were annoying...they haven't seen anything yet.

And I'm someone who enjoyed the last one.

Last edited by dex14; 06-22-18 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 05:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

where's the poll? where's the info? the reviews? the trailer? huh, rookies...
Old 06-22-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Dex14...yikes, I had my ticket purchased last Sunday and hopefully my reaction is not as visceral as yours was.
Old 06-22-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

I liked the shot of Bryce Dallas Howard's boots as she gets off the plane. I remember all the bullshit about her high heels from the last film. I was dragged to the film today kicking and screaming but I enjoyed this one a lot more than the last so 4 out 5 for me. Now I need to rewatch the last one to see if my feelings have changed.
Old 06-22-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

A little early to blow all of it out there, so here are my biggest complaints.

Spoiler:
I thought the whole auction stuff was some bullshit. I really felt bamboozled as the island stuff came to a quicker end than I had hoped it would. I knew something was off when the trailer we saw many months ago was quite different than the trailer that was released in the past few months. Also, how exactly are you going to use random dinosaurs to do your bidding? Finally, most of the adults had little to no redeeming qualities about them. They were nothing more than Friday the 13th camp counselor fodder to be dispatched.

I feel that seeing it in MX4D made the movie more fun than it would have been sitting in a regular seat.
Old 06-22-18, 06:44 PM

The "what a nasty woman" line really pissed me off too. Can I just sit and watch something without being reminded of shitty politics.

Last edited by dex14; 06-22-18 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Ann Hornaday hated it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.84388e4b3301
Old 06-22-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I liked the shot of Bryce Dallas Howard's boots as she gets off the plane. I remember all the bullshit about her high heels from the last film. I was dragged to the film today kicking and screaming but I enjoyed this one a lot more than the last so 4 out 5 for me. Now I need to rewatch the last one to see if my feelings have changed.

Well, they sort of gave her functional clothing this time out as opposed to tight pencil skirts and stilettos last time out.

The movie still sucked, though.
Old 06-22-18, 08:55 PM

Bryce looked good. That’s the gist of my enjoyment.
Old 06-22-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Bryce looked good. That’s the gist of my enjoyment.
Agreed.
Old 06-22-18, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I’d give it a B

Thought it was well made, great looking CGI dinosaurs and Pratt/Howard had good chemistry. And yes she looked good too.

But story wise there was really nothing new or innovative to this series. A lot of rehashing from previous movies. Villains were terrible. Total cliched cartoon villains.

The big clone reveal was weird. It was quickly referenced and then dropped.

Jeff Goldblum’s appearance was nothing more than a glorified cameo. Had absolutely no major impact on the movie. He probably shot his scenes in 1-2 days.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-22-18 at 11:43 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.