Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023, D: Rowe, P: Rogen/Goldberg)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

JUNE 20, 2018 11:59am PT by Borys Kit
New 'Ninja Turtles' Movie in the Works With 'Bad Words' Writer (Exclusive)
Paramount is ready to say 'Cowabunga' once again.

The heroes in a half shell are coming back for more pizza.

Paramount is developing a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie and has hired Andrew Dodge, the writer behind the Jason Bateman comedy Bad Words, to pen the script.

Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller will produce the feature via their Platinum Dunes banner. The company was behind the studio’s horror hit A Quiet Place.

Paramount has made two Ninja Turtles movies based on the 1980s cult comic by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird that spawned a pop cultural phenomenon in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The first movie, released in 2014, grossed $493 million worldwide while 2016’s installment, subtitled Out of the Shadows, showed the limits of the franchise with $245 million. Neither were hits with critics.

However, both were made before the arrival of chairman Jim Gianopulos, who has made it a priority to clean up the studio’s slate and refocus its franchises. Insiders are hoping to bring a patina of quality as they relaunch the franchise.

It’s all in the name: Ninja Turtles tell the adventures of four mutated turtles, named after Renaissance artists and in their teens, who protect New York City using ninja skills acquired from a humanoid rat.

Dodge made a splash with Bad Words, a script that made the Hollywood Black List of praised screenplays and was turned into a directing and starring vehicle for Bateman. Since then, the writer has worked on projects such as Space Jam 2 and O’ Lucky Day, the latter which has Peter Dinklage attached to star.

He is repped by CAA, Grandview and Gang Tyre.
Old 06-20-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023, D: Rowe, P: Rogen/Goldberg)

I say bring back the 90s suits and make a proper third film.
Old 06-20-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023, D: Rowe, P: Rogen/Goldberg)

I didn’t mind Out of the Shadows as much but the first Nickelodeon one was crappy. Kinda surprised they’re rebooting but I don’t oppose it. Never liked those ugly designs for the Turtles and hope they make them more traditional looking.
Old 06-20-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

No Michael Bay no sell

Just kidding
Old 06-20-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

How many times are they going to repeat the same shit over and over again?

Jesus Christ nobody cares for Ninja Turtles that shit is fucking lame and over and done with.
Old 06-20-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic

Jesus Christ nobody cares for Ninja Turtles that shit is fucking lame and over and done with.
I already know from another thread, but this is just further confirmation that you don’t have kids.

Kids still love the Turtles.
Old 06-20-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iQZzsVf1Pls" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-20-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I already know from another thread, but this is just further confirmation that you don’t have kids.

Kids still love the Turtles.
True. But I think if they want to get the turtle formula right they have to push the boundaries aka Rated R. Dark and very edgy. Otherwise all these turtle movies look and feel the same.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iQZzsVf1Pls" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-14-19, 11:52 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 01-14-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I think TMNT is something that would be good being an animated film in the style of Into the Spider-verse with a more traditional design for the turtles. The most recent reboot of the cartoon series went with that terrible "goofy"-style stuff.

But we don't really need a reboot with an entirely new "introduction to the turtles". We don't need another telling of how the turtles came to be. Just jump into it and forget the origin story, that's been done enough and everyone by now knows about the turtles.
Old 01-14-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I think TMNT is something that would be good being an animated film in the style of Into the Spider-verse with a more traditional design for the turtles. The most recent reboot of the cartoon series went with that terrible "goofy"-style stuff.

But we don't really need a reboot with an entirely new "introduction to the turtles". We don't need another telling of how the turtles came to be. Just jump into it and forget the origin story, that's been done enough and everyone by now knows about the turtles.
Yeah, I'd love a stylized animated version of this.
Old 01-14-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be up for a direct sequel to the 1990 film with the same style and tone as that one, with them ignoring the second and third movies. Kinda like they did with the recent Halloween movie.
Old 01-14-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I worked with Jonathan Liebesman recently and he said the most hate mail he receives - BY FAR - is for TMNT.

The first film was awful; never bothered with the second.

I agree, animated would be the way to go.
Old 01-14-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well there was that cgi animated movie from 2007 that was a continuation of the live action movies and it was pretty good. There was also that animated movie that did the spider verse thing years ago where three versions of the turtles met up.

Last edited by gmanca; 01-14-19 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Well there was that cgi animated movie from 2007 that was a continuation of the live action movies and it was pretty good. There was also that animated movie that did the spider verse thing years ago where three versions of the turtles met up.
That was TMNT Forever, and it was pretty great. Very meta at times.
Old 01-15-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

The kind of TMNT movie that would "work" is the kind of TMNT movie that Hollywood would never make - it's quite simply never going to be seen as anything but a preteen and young-teen property.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-15-22, 04:09 PM

Old 03-05-23, 06:39 AM

Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon Movies and Point Grey Productions have set an all-star voice cast for their upcoming CG-animated theatrical feature Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Seth Rogen revealed on Saturday.

The Point Grey principal, who voices mutant warthog Bebop, made the announcement at the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards on Saturday night in an appearance alongside lead cast members Micah Abbey, Shamon Brown Jr., Nicolas Cantu and Brady Noon. Abbey will voice Ninja Turtle Donatello, with Brown Jr. as Michelangelo, Cantu as Leonardo and Noon as Raphael.

Others lending their voices to the film heading to theaters on August 4 include Hannibal Buress as Genghis Frog; Rose Byrne as Leatherhead; John Cena as Rocksteady; Jackie Chan as Splinter; Ice Cube as Superfly; Natasia Demetriou as Wingnut; Ayo Edebiri as April O’Neil; Giancarlo Esposito as Baxter Stockman; Post Malone as Ray Fillet; Paul Rudd as Mondo Gecko; and Maya Rudolph as Cynthia Utrom.

The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film is an original story following the crime-fighting Ninja Turtles as they protect the sewers and streets of New York City. After years of being sheltered from the human world, the Turtle brothers set out to win the hearts of New Yorkers and be accepted as normal teenagers through heroic acts. Their new friend April O’Neil (Edibiri) helps them take on a mysterious crime syndicate, but they soon get in over their heads when an army of mutants is unleashed upon them.

Jeff Rowe (The Mitchells vs. the Machines) directed the pic marking Nickelodeon’s first-ever CG-animated theatrical production. Point Grey Productions’ Rogen, Evan Goldberg and James Weaver produced, with the company’s Lukas Williams co-producing and its own Josh Fagen overseeing the project. Nickelodeon Animation and Paramount Animation President Ramsey Naito and Jason McConnell have overseen production for Nickelodeon, with Paramount to handle the film’s worldwide distribution.

“We are beyond thrilled by this world-class cast we’ve assembled to bring these iconic, beloved characters to life in a new chapter of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles universe,” said Naito in a statement. “This really sets a new bar for this globally celebrated franchise, and we can’t wait to show audiences this film.”

An enduring kids’ franchise created in 1984 by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles began its life as a comic book series which spurred a hit animated TV show, a live-action series and numerous blockbuster theatrical releases. The property is a global consumer products powerhouse that has generated billions by way of toys, apparel, video games, DVDs and more. Nickelodeon most recently revitalized it with the CG-animated series Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 2012, with a 2D animated series titled Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles following in 2019.

The first teaser for Mutant Mayhem is set for release on Monday.
https://deadline.com/2023/03/teenage...st-1235278636/
Old 03-05-23, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023, D: Rowe, P: Rogen/Goldberg)

I’m mildly curious about this. I really wish that the Turtles weren’t forever pigeonholed into being a kids property. That or at least have a version adults can enjoy too. The original comics and even the newer ones aim a bit older.

The original movie from 1990 struck a good balance between being slightly dark and faithful to the comics but also having comedy.
story (03-06-23)
Old 03-05-23, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023, D: Rowe, P: Rogen/Goldberg)

An older version might be tough since they're owned by Nickelodeon, but they were DLC in Injustice 2 as more adult characters beating the hell out of people, so it's possible.

Here's another of their interactions with the other characters:

Old 03-05-23, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I know they’re owned by Nickelodeon. On the one hand that’s kept them relevant over the years and in the eyes of children so they never really die out. At the same time though it limits the audience to be younger skewing and not many adults watching.

I feel like you could do more with the Turtles. There could be room for both a kids version and a version meant for an older crowd. Not saying they have to be R rated (even though some of the original comics would probably be close) but a balance would be nice.

Again the 1990 film was about right. Had some faithful elements to the comics and was a bit dark but also had some comedy and wasn’t so dark that kids couldn’t watch.

I will say I haven’t watched it all but what I saw of the 2012 cartoon was okay. Definitely younger skewing but watchable.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-05-23 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-05-23, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

I know Seth Rogan said they're leaning on the teenager aspect of the characters, but color me unimpressed.

https://preview.redd.it/not-a-fan-of-these-designs-for-the-new-movie-v0-pt2e9svtisaa1.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&327a5688

I think the 1990 movie will remain the gold standard for the Turtles in movies. Even TMNT was good, and that leaned heavily on the 1990 movie too.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-05-23 at 06:52 PM.
candyrocket786 (03-06-23)
Old 03-05-23, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I know we through said they're leaning on the teenager aspect of the characters, but color me unimpressed.

https://preview.redd.it/not-a-fan-of...=webp&327a5688

I think the 1990 movie will remain the gold standard for the Turtles in movies. Even TMNT was good, and that leaned heavily on the 1990 movie too.
Yeah the 2007 animated film is pretty good. Been a bit since I’ve watched it but I remember liking it. Kind of seems like it doesn’t get talked about as much.
Old 03-05-23, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah the 2007 animated film is pretty good. Been a bit since I’ve watched it but I remember liking it. Kind of seems like it doesn’t get talked about as much.
I remember the rain fight from the 2007 flick being real popular here. I was disappointed it didn't do well in the box office. I was looking forward to a sequel (even the live action one they briefly toyed with, that was to have Sarah Michelle Gellar and Chris Evan reprise their roles from the animated flick).
Old 03-06-23, 08:24 AM

Only in theatres August 4, 2023.

In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, after years of being sheltered from the human world, the Turtle brothers set out to win the hearts of New Yorkers and be accepted as normal teenagers through heroic acts. Their new friend April O’Neil helps them take on a mysterious crime syndicate, but they soon get in over their heads when an army of mutants is unleashed upon them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.