DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023, D: Rowe, P: Rogen/Goldberg) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644403-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mutant-mayhem-2023-d-rowe-p-rogen-goldberg.html)

story 03-06-23 08:46 AM

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023, D: Rowe, P: Rogen/Goldberg)

I like where popular animation style is going since Into the Spiderverse did something new, and this is following suit. I'm sure it won't be my favorite iteration of TMNT, but I'm at least intrigued.

RichC2 03-06-23 09:15 AM

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023, D: Rowe, P: Rogen/Goldberg)

Yeah, Spider-verse and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish did well with their more alternative CG animation styles, I'm glad to see that trend catching on a bit. I like the super high budget Pixar look too, but everything looking the same but not as "polished" was getting old. I'd say Kubo falls into that as well but I guess that actually was stop motion.

Too little to tell anything about this from the trailer but I like that it remembers the series is about, above all else, character.

GoldenJCJ 03-06-23 09:25 AM

Agreed about the animation style. It looks good. Thought I’m not sure I’m sold on Splinter’s afro. :lol:

I assume this will end up on Paramount+ at some point so I’ll check it out there.

candyrocket786 03-06-23 09:37 AM

Definitely a pass for me. Not a fan of the animation ( I prefer the 2007 style).

Mike86 03-06-23 09:52 AM

I actually didn’t mind the trailer. The comedy kind of works for this type of a movie. The animation style is different and not my first choice but the character designs overall don’t bother me (Splinter’s afro is a tad off putting though).

milo bloom 03-06-23 11:02 AM

I've been getting back into TMNT the past year or so and I'm glad to see there's all kinds of projects still going. I watched the trailer this morning and I think it could be a lot of fun.

Mike86 03-06-23 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 14243545)
I've been getting back into TMNT the past year or so and I'm glad to see there's all kinds of projects still going. I watched the trailer this morning and I think it could be a lot of fun.

I’ve kind of gotten back into them recently as well. Back in 2020 when the 1990 film celebrated its 30th Anniversary I watched it and realized how good it really is. I’ve watched it again a couple times since and really have gained an appreciation for it.

Also the new game Shredder’s Revenge came out and was a fun throwback to the classic games as well as The Cowabunga Collection allowed me to revisit the classic games.

In addition I got the first two volumes of the original comics and have been reading through them. I wouldn’t mind reading some of the newer comics and have heard good things about one of the recent arcs (The Last Ronin).

I’ve also checked out a bit of the 2012 series and while it’s aimed at a younger audience it’s fairly decent from what I’ve seen.

stingermck 03-06-23 12:06 PM

Animation looks great, something new. And Afro Splinter!

Why So Blu? 03-06-23 12:30 PM

Yeah, digging that animation!

milo bloom 03-06-23 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14243558)
I’ve kind of gotten back into them recently as well. Back in 2020 when the 1990 film celebrated its 30th Anniversary I watched it and realized how good it really is. I’ve watched it again a couple times since and really have gained an appreciation for it.

Also the new game Shredder’s Revenge came out and was a fun throwback to the classic games as well as The Cowabunga Collection allowed me to revisit the classic games.

In addition I got the first two volumes of the original comics and have been reading through them. I wouldn’t mind reading some of the newer comics and have heard good things about one of the recent arcs (The Last Ronin).

I’ve also checked out a bit of the 2012 series and while it’s aimed at a younger audience it’s fairly decent from what I’ve seen.

Yeah, I binged the 2012 series last year and had fun with that, plus I've been picking up the Best-of compilation TPBs from IDW.

RocShemp 03-06-23 05:00 PM

I'm not a fan. It doesn't look badly made and I do appreciate the rough sketch aesthetic reminiscent of the old Eastman & Laird comics, but the tone isn't for me. I'm sure it'll do well but I'm not who this is for.

Dr. DVD 03-06-23 07:30 PM

Any chance we'll get a collected TPB of The Last Ronin? I really like the story , but don't feel like shelling out the money for all of the issues.

I dig the trailer and the animation style. I like that they actually sound like teenagers.

RocShemp 03-06-23 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 14243793)
Any chance we'll get a collected TPB of The Last Ronin? I really like the story , but don't feel like shelling out the money for all of the issues.

Dunno about a TPB, but the is fantastic and well worth it.

Dr. DVD 03-06-23 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 14243794)
Dunno about a TPB, but the hardcover edition is fantastic and well worth it.

Thank you sir! I have Kindle Unlimited so I could read for free, but want this one physically. Will probably read the IDW collection on kindle .

Mike86 03-06-23 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 14243324)
I remember the rain fight from the 2007 flick being real popular here. I was disappointed it didn't do well in the box office. I was looking forward to a sequel (even the live action one they briefly toyed with, that was to have Sarah Michelle Gellar and Chris Evan reprise their roles from the animated flick).

Watched TMNT tonight. It’s a pretty enjoyable movie overall. The rain fight scene between Leo and Raph is a definite highlight. It also strikes that balance just right of being a little on the dark side but not so much so where kids can’t watch and it still has moments of humor. Pretty underrated little film and it’s too bad it wasn’t more well received.

MLBFan24 03-07-23 01:56 PM

I found the opening tagline odd - “A new generation of heroes will rise straight from the sewer”.

TMNT has been around for decades…

milo bloom 03-07-23 04:12 PM

Eh, they're new interpretations. I don't think we've ever seen them at this level of pure goofball teenagers.

dex14 05-31-23 09:48 AM

Also... Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are doing the score. Wild. :lol:
https://pitchfork.com/news/nine-inch...mutant-mayhem/

Why So Blu? 05-31-23 11:00 AM

Yeah, I'm gonna see this in theaters and I am definitely buying the "Art of" book. I love the artwork.

Mike86 05-31-23 12:25 PM

Looks pretty decent. Again I wish the Turtles weren’t permanently regulated to being strictly a kids brand but I guess it is what it is.

RichC2 05-31-23 12:29 PM

Geriatric Mutant Ninja Turtles or GTFO

RocShemp 05-31-23 07:45 PM

Hard pass for me. But I'm sure this will thrive.

In other news, it seems there's a new live action TMNT in early development and word is the tone will be that of the 1990 movie. If true, that'll be more my style.

The fact that this property can be reinterpreted so many different ways is why it always manages to thrive. This current interpretation may not be for me, but I'm glad it exists for those who're sure to love it.

asianxcore 07-13-23 03:06 AM

Love the use of A Tribe Called Quest's 'Can I Kick It?' in the trailer.

Hoping this one is fun!

dex14 07-20-23 05:37 PM

Goldberg74 07-21-23 09:32 PM

Can’t wait!