Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How often do you watch your favorite films of all-time?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How often do you watch your favorite films of all-time?
1x per year.
30.30%
> 1x per year.
15.15%
almost never. (1x per few years or so)
45.45%
Never.
3.03%
other, please specify...
6.06%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 05:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 939 Likes on 787 Posts

So, Die Hard is my all-time favorite. i will always say #1 on a long list. i mean i have many favs, but DH is the tops. Anyway, i realize that even though it is my favorite film, i don't watch it all that much. i mean don't get me wrong, i've probably seen whole thing at least half a dozen times or so, but can't remember last time i actually sat down to watch it.

it dawned on me on many other favorites that give me so much joy and pleasure, i just don't watch as often as i feel i should. I always say I'm gonna watch Shaun of the Dead at least once a year, but i don't. i do however try to watch Love, Actually at least once a year (usually around X-mas time) and probably have for many previous years in a row.

but, so many other favorites that i want to see and desire to see, but don't for one reason or another and i'm not quite sure what that reason is...
Old 06-17-18, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How often do you watch your favorite films of all-time?

I've got a few that I watch in rotation at least twice each year. This is only because I purposely limit myself, otherwise I'd literally find myself watching them every few days.
Old 06-17-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

I guess the almost never option. I have a few favorites (Lost in Translation for dramas, The Godfather and Heat for crime-dramas, Quick Change for comedies, Ghostbusters for fantasy-comedy, etc), but generally only watch them once a couple years or so. I use DVD Profiler so can actually see when I last watched a movie... so long as I remembered to enter it.
Old 06-17-18, 07:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 939 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I guess the almost never option. I have a few favorites (Lost in Translation for dramas, The Godfather and Heat for crime-dramas, Quick Change for comedies, Ghostbusters for fantasy-comedy, etc), but generally only watch them once a couple years or so. I use DVD Profiler so can actually see when I last watched a movie... so long as I remembered to enter it.
see, i never did that, wish i had as i use DVD Profiler...
Old 06-17-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Quick Change is not only Bill Murray's funniest movie, it's a criminally underheralded comedy that should rank up there with the best of the genre.

You rule!
Old 06-17-18, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Quick Change is not only Bill Murray's funniest movie, it's a criminally underheralded comedy that should rank up there with the best of the genre.

You rule!
I've somehow missed this one. You can bet I'll be correcting this ASAP.
Old 06-17-18, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Not often enough. It's important to watch the old classics from time to time to remind me why I got into cinema in the first place, but there's so much to watch that I haven't seen before, including numerous previously unseen classics, as well as newer, fan-related TV shows/genre movies (e.g. new Japanese superhero movies/TV shows) that it's hard to stick in repeat viewings of KING KONG (1933), GONE WITH THE WIND, CITIZEN KANE, CASABLANCA, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, THE SEVEN SAMURAI, TOUCH OF EVIL, BEN-HUR, EL CID, THE APARTMENT, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, THE LONGEST DAY, etc., especially when many of them run three hours or more. But I have made time in the last two years to revisit WEST SIDE STORY, THE SEARCHERS, THE GRAPES OF WRATH, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI, REAR WINDOW, LUST FOR LIFE, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, RIO BRAVO, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, THE DIRTY DOZEN, THE WILD BUNCH, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, KILL BILL VOL. 1, etc. But there are so many more I want to re-view.

I recently made a list of favorite films with no restrictions on number and the list came out to 248, so I added two more from a standby list to make 250. Other than those two, I'd seen the others two or more times. The standby list contained movies I discovered this century (some of them decades old) that I thought were great but needed to be seen again before I put them on a favorites list. I really want to re-watch every film on the list that I haven't seen in 10 years, just to see if they hold up. For instance, I re-watched DR. STRANGELOVE recently on Criterion disc and it was the first viewing in decades. It did not hold up well and I took it off an earlier version of the list. I tried to watch ANNIE HALL earlier this century and I found it incredibly tiresome, so I removed it from any list it might have been on. Yet every film I cited in the first paragraph that I saw recently has held up enough to stay on the list.
Old 06-17-18, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My top three are Blue Velvet, The Thing (1982), and Once Upon a Time in the West.

I probably watch each of them once a year.
Old 06-17-18, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

I watch some of my favorites on a yearly basis. I tend to watch Burton’s Batman, Back to the Future, and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles once a year. I also watch Star Wars pretty frequently but I don’t always actively watch. I just have them on as background noise sometimes.
Old 06-17-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

No real set schedule. I'll watch a movie based on what I'm in the mood for.
Old 06-17-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

In the last six months leading up to the release of The Dark Knight, I watched Batman Begins three times.

Haven't been able to muster the enthusiasm to spin it again, even once, in the last ten years. Back when I was a kid, I would buy a movie ticket at noon and stay and watch the same movie three times in one afternoon. Can't do it anymore. Even once a year I can burn out easy on something (been trying to resist watching Rogue One for a third time since it came out on disc a year + ago, but Idon't want to over do it).

The older I get, the faster the years go by too. Five or six years now between viewings of a favorite movie just doesn't seem that long.
Old 06-17-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Once every 6-7 years, so it stays fresh.
Old 06-17-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Favorite films of all time once a year?!? WTF?

Shit I watch them once a month or ever other month.
Old 06-17-18, 08:40 PM

Beyond 'fandom', I'm borderline obsessed with:

Flash Gordon
The Stepford Wives
Dark Night of the Scarecrow
Creepshow
Magic
Dolls
The Omega Man
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
The Night of the Hunter
Alien
Soylent Green
Hollywood Shuffle
Death Wish
The Karate Kid
Riki-Oh
Rocky III
Lean on Me
Dawn of the Dead
Psycho

Old 06-17-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 308 Posts

No real set schedule for most movies that fall into that category. I will say this I always watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy once a year during the christmas season. Than I watch UHF nonstop during the summer, and often fall asleep to it. I was first introduced to the movie during the summer a year or two after it came out and I watched nearly every day from a taping on VHS.
Old 06-17-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,088 Posts

Originally Posted by Enlightened_Oaf
Quick Change is one of the funniest, most quotable movies I’ve ever seen. TheMovieman and Hokeyboy aren’t wrong when they say it’s great!

My favorite movie is Jaws and I’ll probably watch it at leas twice a year, it’s also the only movie I can think of where if I flip by it playing on a cable channel, I’ll stop to watch.

I’ve got plenty of “favorites” but Jaws is the only one I never get tired of seeing.
Old 06-17-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Hmmm, I'd consider Braveheart, the Crow and Almost Famous as three of my favorites. I can't remember the last time I watched any of them.

On the flipside, I'll watch The Fifth Element, Office Space and Jaws anytime almost anytime they're on cable.
Old 06-17-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

When I was younger, before the Prequels came out (before the dark times...) I would watch the original SW trilogy on VHS probably a couple times a month.

Now, it's barely once a year for the saga, if that.

We also used to do a yearly viewing of the LOTR extended trilogy each winter, but we missed it this winter.

I try to watch The Black Hole at least every couple years. The old DVD is starting to show it's age though, I'd buy a remastered Bluray on Day One.

There's just so much more content out there. It's so much easier to watch a 15-20 minutes Youtube video on something, or binge a show on Netflix/Hulu . My 1500 strong DVD/Blu collection sits unwatched for the most part.
Old 06-18-18, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I will watch the Star Wars Original Trilogy 3-4 times a year, usually on Holiday Weekends (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Weekend, or Christmas Break). I try to watch Back to the Future, Jaws, Rocky, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman 1978, The Terminator, Field of Dreams, The Godfather and Hoosiers once a year.
Old 06-18-18, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

usually at least once a year for

Smokey And The Bandit
Jurassic Park
Band Of Brothers

The others I watch traditionally are usually associated with holidays or significant days on the calendar

Planes, Trains, Autos
ID4
World Trade Center
Christmas movies
Old 06-18-18, 06:27 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

I have favorite movies, but I have so many DVDs/BDs, and I don't want any of them to get lost in the shuffle. I have DVD Profiler set up to mark them as watched, it takes about 3½ years (or so) for a movie or TV show to come back around in the rotation, so usually that's how often we'll watch anything. There are exceptions but they're pretty random.
Old 06-18-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Because of a line in the movie (“It’s June isn’t it?”), once June rolls in, that’s my time to start watching Beverly Hills Cop. So far this year, I saw the final fifteen minutes a few more times, then had the commentary track on a little later. Will prob catch it a few more items this summer at least.

There are several movies I watch over from time to time, but June is party time for BHC. I’ll listen to “Stir it Up” while walking to/from my commute.
Old 06-18-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 282 Likes on 234 Posts

Up until recently I thought I was the only critter out there whose favorite film of all-time (so not just favorite action film) is Die Hard, so kudos Oldboy for having impeccable taste in cinema.

I am oddly like Oldoy in that I have seen my fave a handful of times over the past many years but if I luck into something like The Long Kiss Goodnight on cable I will watch what I can and record to finish it up later. This is notwithstanding the fact that I have probably seen this film at least 10 times over perhaps a dozen years. So yeah, I am more likely to watch another action film such as Lethal Weapon on a much more frequent basis than my fave of all-time, who woulda thunk it.

I will be seeing it again with a new eye after I get around to picking up the Die Hard 4K which given the lack of backlash this film's 4K release received should be a real treat (unlike say Terminator 2's 4K no one seems to have said holy hell how did they screw this up so bad).

Last edited by Inhumans99; 06-18-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-18-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

You rule!
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Quick Change is one of the funniest, most quotable movies I’ve ever seen. TheMovieman and Hokeyboy aren’t wrong when they say it’s great!
Good to see fellow fans!

Originally Posted by Enlightened_Oaf
Old 06-18-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 202 Posts

Whoa...I need to revisit Quick Change. I saw it in the theater when it came out and not since.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.