Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
4.12%
9.28%
30.93%
28.87%
14.43%
5.15%
5.15%
0%
1.03%
0%
1.03%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 346 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

"Solo II: Darth Maul Is Back Incase You Were Being A Whiny Bitch And Skipped The First Film Because You Hated The Last Jedi Or Have Issues With So Called Social Justice Warriorisms In Your Films" will be the title.
Old 06-13-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Except of course that is wasnt
Weird. I saw it and loved it. 71% on Rotten Tomatoes means almost 3/4 of critics agreed. I'm comfortable with my statement.
Old 06-13-18, 01:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I hated TLJ and was down on the casting and very idea of Solo going into it, but my kids had a blast, and despite myself, I ended up enjoying it very much.
Old 06-17-18, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 270 Posts

Finally saw this today and I really enjoyed it!

I had really, really low expectations going into it. Didn’t care about Han’s backstory. Never liked any of Ron Howard’s movies. I watched it because it’s Star Wars and I have to see it in the theater. It’s tradition.

Anyways, I had a blast and liked this more than The Last Jedi. Loved the train robbery heist, great music, and some fun new characters.
Old 06-17-18, 11:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Ron Howard has some good movies. Have you ever seen Parenthood? That’s A+
Old 06-18-18, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Ron Howard has some good movies. Have you ever seen Parenthood? That’s A+
Haven’t seen Parenthood. I love all the Dan Brown / Robert Langdon books, but oddly enough, never liked any of the movie interpretations. I like Tom Hanks. I respect Ron Howard as a director, but I always disliked those movies. I’m sure that doesn’t make any sense, but I can’t explain it haha

But now I can say that I do like a Ron Howard movie - and it’s this one!
Old 06-18-18, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Never liked any of Ron Howard’s movies.
Splash
Cocoon
Backdraft
Apollo 13
Willow
Parenthood
A Beautiful Mind

You didn't like any of these films?
Old 06-18-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
Splash
Cocoon
Backdraft
Apollo 13
Willow
Parenthood
A Beautiful Mind

You didn't like any of these films?
That's a strong list of films.
Old 06-18-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 395 Likes on 283 Posts

Solo is now at 192 million and Incredibles 2 made 180 million in its opening weekend... Ouch.
Old 06-18-18, 11:01 PM

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Saw it a second time today on my day off, took my 6-year-old. She loves Star Wars and she liked this. She did get fidgety whenever there was a talking scene (she didn't get fidgety once during Incredibles 2 yesterday, for what it's worth). She dug the action, laughed at the jokes, and was angry in the way only a little kid can get angry at betrayals and double-crosses. I'm going to call this a movie that worked for her and I had a good time, too. She walked out excited about Chewie and wondered if Jabba the Hutt and Boba Fett will be in the next one. My guess is yes, and they'll likely be teaming up and have a falling out.
Old 06-22-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 964 Likes on 671 Posts

https://movieweb.com/solo-star-wars-story-december-release-disney-lucasfilm/

Interesting. Seems like it might have been Disney’s fault more so than Lucasfilm. In terms of timing at least.
Old 07-01-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Finally saw Solo this weekend, and to my suprise.....I absolutely loved it! The big thing for me is I bought the actor playing Han from the first minute so that is probably a deal breaker for most OT fans. It's just a fun/adventure movie that harkens back to the 1977 Star Wars style and it doesn't take itself too seriously. I liked Khlassi from Game of Thrones as she had good chemistry with Han. Lando was great, Woody Harrelson was good as always, and Chewy steals the movie! Even the Droid didn't annoy me as much I expected from fans who complained.

The irony about Disney SW movies is I originally looked forward to the Saga movies and didn't even care about the Standalones. In the end, I love Solo and really like R1, and have mixed feelings on TFA and TLJ and not looking forward to Episode 9. I really don't know how Disney will intrepret Solo bombing and future standalones. But I'm defintely a Standalone Disney SW fan and don't really care about the Saga/Trilogy movies.
Old 07-02-18, 12:43 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We saw it about a week ago. It wasn't as horrible as everyone made it out to be and we enjoyed it. Was it great, no. Did it live up to the normal SW hype, no. Was it worth seeing, yep. Disappointed we won't get to continue the story but I get it. This one didn't make huge bank so toss it aside and move on to something else.

I agree with everyone else who is the moron who thought releasing this in the busy summer window was a good idea?

To date of the "new" SW films our favorite has been Rogue One by a wide margin. TFA and TLJ were fine but RO was so much better IMHO.

Also I thought Lando was excellent in this and love me some Chewbacca - favorite SW character other than the MF (but you can't call the MF a character)
Old 07-05-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Saw this on July 4 and despite having no real interest in seeing this mainly due to the casting of Han, I had a blast watching this. I still think he was a bad choice overall and Harrison is just too iconic to be able to get out of your head to compare, if you are able to put that aside the movie is a fun time.

Definitely has some issues but the fun of the movie outweighs the issues in my opinion. I didn't expect that based on the trailers and reviews I read. I will admit to getting chills just like some other posters mentioned before when Chewie took his rightful seat in the Falcon. Some of the references felt shoehorned and hokey but man that moment worked for me. Also as someone who never watched any of the animated shows, seeing DM was a complete shock and a nice moment for me. Loved it.

Glad I saw this in the theater and not waiting to watch at home like I planned initially.
Old 07-05-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Saw this on July 4 and despite having no real interest in seeing this mainly due to the casting of Han, I had a blast watching this. I still think he was a bad choice overall and Harrison is just too iconic to be able to get out of your head to compare, if you are able to put that aside the movie is a fun time.

In a strange way, I actually think it worked better for me because he didn't resemble Harrison Ford at all. I think if Disney tried to get 'another' Harrison Ford that looked like him and tried to act like him, I would have essentially wanted Harrison Ford to play the role instead! But Alden Elrenreich (spelling?) isn't a spitting image of Ford, nor did he really sound like him, so I was able to watch the movie not thinking about Harrison Ford for 2 hours. I just kind of went with the new Han Solo in the first few minutes and it never bothered me throughout the movie.

Last edited by mcnabb; 07-05-18 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
In a strange way, I actually think it worked better for me because he didn't resemble Harrison Ford at all. I think if Disney tried to get 'another' Harrison Ford that looked like him and tried to act like him, I would have essentially wanted Harrison Ford to play the role instead! But Alden Elrenreich (spelling?) isn't a spitting image of Ford, nor did he really sound like him, so I was able to watch the movie not thinking about Harrison Ford for 2 hours. I just kind of went with the new Han Solo in the first few minutes and it never bothered me throughout the movie.
I actually agree. I think that’s one of the reasons why the film works well for me. I can buy that Alden is playing a version of Han but he’s not just a Harrison Ford clone trying to look and act like him and in some respects makes the character his own. Like I said earlier I actually liked Alden’s performance more than I did Donald Glover’s. Glover was very good too but it felt like he was just mimicking Billy Dee Williams.
Old 07-05-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah I wasn't clear in that I didn't want a Harrison imitation, just that it is hard to get over someone else playing an iconic role.

My issue is that Alden is not a good enough actor to overcome this issue. At least for me. I have never been impressed with him and think he lacks charisma, is also very short for the role (looks at least 4 inches shorter if not more) , and just doesn't have a "manly" quality for lack of a better term. I know that may be wrong to say in today's world, but Han Solo is all balls (or at least the appearance of it) and Alden does not have the presence required to completely capture the character. He is more suited to playing whiny Luke.

Like someone mentioned upthread regarding Chris Reeve and Superman, I couldn't connect with Brandon Routh because he looked like and was attempting to recreate Reeves performance and it didn't work for me. However I love Henry Cavill's performance and portrayal of Superman and it completely makes me forget CR (the writing and direction is another story, I only mean how Henry is).

Agree with Glover at first it is impressive how well he is doing BDW but then you realize he is just imitating him and it starts to feel like an SNL skit at times.

Still really liked it overall though, this is nitpick stuff.
Old 09-25-18, 01:06 PM

Received 4,598 Likes on 3,115 Posts

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mWyncgcwyoc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-25-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Almost forgot this released today. I’ll have to go out and get it either tonight or tomorrow after work. Looking forward to rewatching it.
Old 09-25-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Wasn't interested in this movie from the get-go, but I have to eat alittle crow as I really enjoyed it. Solo really is a heist movie and Rogue One is a War movie that takes place in a GFFA and I think that maybe the hidden formula for future SW movies. Outline a macro story that is interesting and new, and tell it in a way that ties in with the SW universe.

Thumbs up on Solo!
Old 09-25-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts

I gave Solo 4 stars when I saw it and said people will forgive this one over time.
Old 09-25-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just finished my 2nd watch. Still perfectly average. I think next time I watch I will just start at the sabacc game.

The kessle run needed to be more epic. Like a huge car chase to the end. Not stuck with a monster.
Old 09-26-18, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Just finished my 2nd watch. Still perfectly average. .
That's the best review in a nutshell. Saw it on a plane ride and really enjoyed it. Its a straight forward heist/adventure movie, good pace, descent enough characters to carry the plot. You might forget it after you watched it but really enjoyed it while it lasted. Like a lazy handjob it might not make you scream but it gets you there

3.5 out of 5 for me
Old 10-01-18, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally saw this today via Red Box rental. I enjoyed it and had fun, even if it's predictable and fairly safe of a movie. The Last Jedi hasn't held up that well for me and I disliked Rogue One quite a bit, so I'd place this movie ahead of those.

My main complaints would be L3's babbling, with Rogue One doing a much better job with an interesting Droid character, and the movie never really being able to build a good sense of tension or suspense. The action sequences never really feel special, the heist/smuggling should have been more creative, and there wasn't much comedy to be found. It makes me wish we got to see the Lord/Miller version and something different.

But... I really loved Lando. Solo was fine and handled the part well. Loved seeing Han and Chewie together and those sequences were probably my favorite throughout the entire movie. Maul confused me since I don't watch the cartoons. The other characters were just there and nothing special (Woody, Clarke, and Bettany). If anything, I wish we got more of that 4 armed guy
Old 10-01-18, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I like Rogue One a tad more as to me it feels like a movie that fills in a missing gap between the Prequel Trilogy and the Original Trilogy. I think the story of that film is a tad more interesting to watch play out.

Solo I think is perfectly fine and a tad underrated. I don’t think it’s exactly a necessary film though and feels a bit more like a filler movie that most of us didn’t ask for. Still it’s a fun enough movie to watch and not as bad as a lot of reviews have made it out to be. It’s not anything groundbreaking but is a fun movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.