Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Three Days of the Condor (Pollack, 1975)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Question for you.

Saw this last night and while it gets off to a good start, for me at least, it goes off the rails pretty quickly (by the “spyfucker” line). Is this one of those movies that is justifiably a classic and still holds up (if so, I'd need to rewatch it because I didn't see it the first time around) or was it only great at the time of its release?

Inquiring mind wants to know.
Old 04-01-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Three Days of the Condor (Pollack, 1975)

It's just ok. My problem with it is that is has too much big Hollywood gloss and polish. Lacks an edge that other 70s conspiracy movies had.
Similar to the Da Vinci Code movies with Hanks.
It's the kind of production that if made today would probably star Hanks and be directed by Ron Howard.
Old 04-01-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Parallax View is infinitely superior to Condor. Check that one out.
Old 04-01-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Three Days of the Condor is a phenomenal film. You'll need Klute, Parallax View, and All of the President's Men (for the most part) to complete your viewing due to similar subject matter that crosses over. If you have a region free player you can get Condor from Amazon UK in a great Eureka! Masters of Cinema BD -- the best video and audio presentation on the market. Klute and Parallax View are only available in HD via Digital.
Old 04-01-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Parallax View is infinitely superior to Condor. Check that one out.
I came here to say this so, yes, do that.
Old 04-01-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I think its an excellent movie. It loses its ways a little once Faye Dunnaway enters the picture, but its solid. As I said once before on another thread, great to see this, Spy Game and Winter Soldier as a trilogy of the same character Redford plays.
Old 04-01-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james2025a
I think its an excellent movie. It loses its ways a little once Faye Dunnaway enters the picture, but its solid. As I said once before on another thread, great to see this, Spy Game and Winter Soldier as a trilogy of the same character Redford plays.
Have not seen Spy Game since the theater and hated it.
Old 04-01-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Not a bad film, but IMO it could have been better with a different or lesser known lead actor. It could also have done without the unnecessary Faye Dunaway character. When it comes to conspiracy thrillers give me The Conversation.
Old 04-01-18, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently watched TDOTC on Blu. Great print, with excellent PQ.

Re: the film itself, this is a fantastic thriller, and one of the best espionage-type films I've ever seen.

It's also worth noting that this film is set during the Christmas holidays in NYC - so, though it's not a strict Christmas movie - it's nice to see what mid-1970's NYC looked like during that time.
Old 04-01-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I agree that it begins well and loses its way, and that there are far superior '70s political thrillers. But it's a decent watch anyway.
Old 04-01-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Saw this last night and while it gets off to a good start, for me at least, it goes off the rails pretty quickly (by the “spyfucker” line)...
i just looked this up, and that line happens about 1 hour 13 minutes into a 2 hour movie. That doesn't seem that quickly.

Shortly after this, Condor goes on the offensive, which is fun to watch. I really liked the ambiguous ending too.

I'd say since you only have 45 minutes left to watch, it's worth finishing it. The "romantic interlude" part is over, and it gets back to the cloak-and-dagger stuff.
Old 04-01-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Have not seen Spy Game since the theater and hated it.
First time I saw it I hated it as well. I really never liked any of Scott's movies during this period with the frenzied cuts and washed out look, but pretty much every single one I have gone back to and enjoyed afterwards. This one more than any other. It actually gets better with each viewing. Redford gives an amazing performance in it.
Old 04-01-18, 07:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Three Days of the Condor is a phenomenal film. You'll need Klute, Parallax View, and All of the President's Men (for the most part) to complete your viewing due to similar subject matter that crosses over. If you have a region free player you can get Condor from Amazon UK in a great Eureka! Masters of Cinema BD -- the best video and audio presentation on the market. Klute and Parallax View are only available in HD via Digital.
How is Klute in that list? Great movie, but no government conspiracies, I believe...
Old 04-01-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

We watched Three Days of the Condor a few months ago. It still holds up as a 70s paranoia movie, although of course it's not as good at The Parallax View. It's well constructed, like how a passing mention in the first act that his record includes that he was a telephone tech in the Army pays off in the last act. It does get a little silly in the middle to provide Redford his time as a sex symbol, but the story gets going again.
Old 04-01-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
How is Klute in that list? Great movie, but no government conspiracies, I believe...

True, I guess that's more of an Alan Pakula trilogy of conspiracy flicks, and such.