Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.80%
15.94%
46.38%
14.49%
7.25%
2.90%
1.45%
1.45%
2.90%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

As I said in the other thread, I loved this movie. Mainly because it had the feel of a modern Goonies-type movie. Other than how quickly they were able to solve the key riddles, it was extremely enjoyable (especially all the references to things of the 80's). I mean it's probably no coincidence that Sorrento looks like Principal Vernon from Breakfast Club.

And after the Chucky sequence, I thought Art3mis threw a "critter" into the MechaGodzilla cockpit, but when it rolled to its face I saw it was a madball.
Old 04-02-18, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Liked it quite a bit. My biggest gripe is that the Iron Giant didnt go into war mode in the final battle.
Old 04-02-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Pretty good flick.

I enjoyed it more than expected.

My kids loved it.
Old 04-02-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Liked it quite a bit. My biggest gripe is that the Iron Giant didnt go into war mode in the final battle.
I thought that since he was still a work in progress, war mode wasn't functional yet.
Old 04-02-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I really enjoyed the movie but it's probably due to growing up in the 80's. There's a lot to digest so it will probably be fun revisiting this in the future. The references were fun and I thought the pacing was pretty good except for maybe towards the end. I'm pretty shocked that Spielberg pulled this off as well as he did.

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Hundreds of '80s cameos distract viewers from the fact this film is scripted in cliche and bogged down by endless exposition.
Isn't that really what 80's movies are? I feel like this is just one big modern 80's movie and Spielberg was fully conscious of that fact.
Old 04-02-18, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subtle Easter Egg? Thulsa Doom's haircut on F'Nale.

Old 04-02-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Isn't that really what 80's movies are? I feel like this is just one big modern 80's movie and Spielberg was fully conscious of that fact.
All the nostalgia, none of the depth. I am okay with that since I liked the movie.
Old 04-02-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Read the book but haven't seen the movie and am lukewarm on whether I will or not. For those with knowledge of both, is "The Shining sequence" a replacement for the Wargames challenge in the book?
Old 04-02-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Read the book but haven't seen the movie and am lukewarm on whether I will or not. For those with knowledge of both, is "The Shining sequence" a replacement for the Wargames challenge in the book?
Kind of. They don't have to re-enact The Shining like they do with War Games in the novel. The challenges to get the three keys are entirely different from what they are in the book.
Old 04-02-18, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They also said that they were thinking of having what ended up being the Shining sequence as a Blade Runner sequence but Warner Bros said no, because they didn't want to cross over films with 2049 being in development and all.
Old 04-02-18, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
For some reason I kept expecting the theme from Back to the Future theme to kick in for a little bit since the opening part of it was in the trailers and Alan Silvestri was the composer for the film.
Are you kidding me? It plays with Parzival tosses the Zemeckis cube (not in the book) to rewind time at the Distracted Globe!

Just watched it tonight at the local Dolby Cinema. Perfect movie to see there. The sound, especially when the mass army assembles on Planet Doom, was super-impressive. I really enjoyed it. My son and I really enjoyed the book and yes, there are tons of changes, but I thought most of them worked. And like everyone here said, that Shining part was outstanding. Just awesome effects work. Kind of an overly-obvious soundtrack, but I certainly enjoyed the tunes, even if they were overly familiar (but why no RUSH? Missed opportunity there). I had a great time, which is something I haven't said about a Spielberg film in quite a while.

That said, I totally get why this isn't a lot of folks' cup of tea. If you're out on virtual world concepts or gamer films, this one won't change anyone's mind.
Old 04-03-18, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I just want my Gundam and Akira live action films now.

Damn... it was great seeing that bike on the big screen.
Old 04-03-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I just want my Gundam and Akira live action films now.

Damn... it was great seeing that bike on the big screen.
I would have rather seen a Tron light cycle.
Old 04-03-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Kind of. They don't have to re-enact The Shining like they do with War Games in the novel. The challenges to get the three keys are entirely different from what they are in the book.
Ok, interesting. Thanks.
Old 04-03-18, 10:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

The Shining sequence was great and worth the price of admission at your nearest Dolby Cinema. The rest... not so much. But I can respect why people like (or even love) it. I just didn't. A lot.

Reality is real, guys.
Old 04-03-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I see a lot of reviews all over for this and it's all Nostalgia based fapping. But I haven't really heard that the story line was good.
Old 04-03-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I would have rather seen a Tron light cycle.

You already did in the Tron movies.
Old 04-03-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I enjoyed it. I knew a lot of the challenges (watching someone play Joust) would not translate well to the big screen and overall I was happy with the changes they made. I felt like the "go play outside more" theme was a bit more heavy handed in the movie than in the book.

Fun movie, am happy I saw it in the theater.
Old 04-03-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I see a lot of reviews all over for this and it's all Nostalgia based fapping. But I haven't really heard that the story line was good.
I think most would guess how it would pretty much go. And there's nothing wrong with having a fun time at the theater. It's not like there aren't other movies to also check out.
Old 04-03-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You already did in the Tron movies.
You can say that about any cameo in RP1. You don't have to be a dick.
Old 04-03-18, 01:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But I haven't really heard that the story line was good.
You know why.
Old 04-03-18, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do people talk about Jurassic Park's storyline. Or do you just go "oh shit, dinosaurs! Rawwr"?

That's how this movie is like. It's a thrill ride movie. Amazing effects, fun action and fun but very basic trope-style characters who are there to push the story thru. And the story is a basic quest and hero's journey and blahblahblah, look at the shiny brass balls!

I enjoyed it, it was fun, I didn't feel like I wasted my money, but you're going for a ride, not really the story.
Old 04-03-18, 02:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds to me like Jurassic Park has a signicantly better storyline and far better developed characters.
Old 04-03-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
You can say that about any cameo in RP1. You don't have to be a dick.
I wasn't trying to be a dick but I see how it may have been taken like an insult. I meant that we've already had Tron bikes in actual Tron live action films, but we never had the Akira bike in anything. The Akira bike was more special than the Tron in the context used, imo.
Old 04-03-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Just got back. I really enjoyed it. It's sesory overload. Despite all the cameos, it still felt light compared to all the references in the book. This is easily Spielberg's most fun movie in years. The cast was solid and Alan Silvestri fucking nailed it. First time in a long time where the score held it's own and that's saying alot given how much shit is being thrown at you on screen. Using the BTTF theme when Wade turned back time was just pure nerdgasm material.

The three challenges were a mixed bag. All were solved too easily. The opening challenge/chase was epic. Loved every bit of it. I have no ties to Bigfoot or the Akira cycle, but both were damn cool. Seeing the 60's Batmobile, also cool. It would have been cool to toss in a few other famous cars like K.I.T.T. or the General Lee.

The second; the Shining was a mixed bag for me. Even though I hate the movie probably as much as King, it was kinda cool seeing it recreated. However, it felt really out of place to me. It had nothing to do with gaming even a tiny connection, there's nothing about Halliday being a King or Kubrick fan either. I think it worked, but I don't know if I like it. The end of that sequence was hilarious though with all the Sixers dying/getting spit out of the Oasis.

I'm a HUGE Joust fan so the novel sang to my heart, so I was bummed that it was relgated to a quick mention (in the midst of a ton of characters talking/drowning it out) and a poster in the background. The Adventure switch made sense though given the easter egg connection.

Good stuff.

Originally Posted by DJariya
I at the Chucky cameo. They did a hell of a job getting so many imagery rights. And getting the rights to show the Delorean was really cool. Obviously since Spielberg produced BTTF, it was probably easier to get the rights to use it.
Yeah, when it comes to any of these whether it be Chucky, Freddy Krueger, Iron Giant, Master Chief, etc. I'm sure in most of these cases it boiled down to "Steven Spielberg wants [character] in his movie?" "Where do we sign?"

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It sounds to me like Jurassic Park has a signicantly better storyline and far better developed characters.
Well Jurassic Park was based on a novel by an excellent author at the top of his game who endlessly researched his subject matter. The other is based on a first time author's ode to pop culture and video games he loves to play. So yeah.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.