Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Unfriended: Dark Web (2018, D: Susco)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 05:44 AM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Blumhouse walked an untitled horror film directed by Stephen Susco into Austin, Texas tonight with a logline reading, “A 20-something finds a cache of hidden files on his new laptop and is thrust into the deep waters of the dark web. From the makers of Unfriended, this thriller unravels in real-time, entirely on a computer screen. A warning for the digital age.”

Fanboys had a strong sense that the pic which marked the feature directorial debut of Grudge U.S. franchise scribe Susco was in fact an Unfriended sequel, and their hunches were correct with Blumhouse unveiling the title as Unfriended: Dark Web. Producer Jason Blum revealed the title before the crowd during the pic’s introduction at the Alamo Ritz tonight.

Unfriended was a microbudget wonder for Blumhouse made for pennies at $1M and reaping a global B.O. of $64M, 51% of which was generated stateside. That pic centered around a group of online chat room friends who find themselves haunted by a mysterious, supernatural force using the account of their dead friend. Timur Bekmambetov produced, and does so again on the sequel with Blum and Majd Nassif. At one point titled Unfriended: Game Night, no release date has been set yet for the sequel.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/blumhous...eb-1202328940/
Old 06-14-18, 11:39 AM

re: Unfriended: Dark Web (2018, D: Susco)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4DJAWGXkvq8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-13-18, 11:38 AM

Re: Unfriended: Dark Web (2018, D: Susco)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SFa6OT4H7EE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-13-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,340 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Saw the trailer in front of Upgrade a few weeks ago and I think it looks great.
Old 07-17-18, 08:18 AM

67% on RT so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/unfriended_dark_web
Old 07-17-18, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll see it with my son at some point this weekend. The first one was entertaining enough.
Old 07-21-18, 04:17 PM

Apparently this is screening with two different endings.
Old 07-22-18, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We saw it on Friday night. I liked it quite a bit. Getting away from the supernatural stuff helped this one a great deal IMO.

I found out about the different endings yesterday. While I am interested in seeing the alternate, I'll wait for video.
Old 07-23-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. I actually was entertained by it. Had some really tense moments. The 1st one was more of a supernatural thriller. This one felt slightly more grounded and was more horror.

Regarding the endings, the one I got was:

Spoiler:
Matias getting hit by a van and then they slowly do a camera pull in some kind of command center to reveal who all the Charon's are. Then it ends.
Old 07-23-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Regarding the endings, the one I got was:

Spoiler:
Matias getting hit by a van and then they slowly do a camera pull in some kind of command center to reveal who all the Charon's are. Then it ends.
That was the same one I got.
Old 07-23-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 392 Likes on 325 Posts

Saw this yesterday morning.

I thought it was alright, I enjoyed the first film more, even though I very much appreciated the thematic change for this sequel.

For me, the larger the scope of the film became, the less interested I was, which is a bit odd.

The ending of the film I got at my screening was:

Spoiler:
Matias signs to Amaya to meet him at the place of their first kiss when she is on the subway. He realizes that the Charons have made a video interpreting the ASL with his own software and rushes to the area. When he arrives (it's just some trees and a dirt area), he sees that a grave has been dug in the ground with a shovel nearby. One of the Charon's runs out and it cuts eventually to Amaya calling him to find out where he is, in which Matias is screaming in a coffin while Amaya is above where Matias is buried. Cuts to one of the Charons looking at a bunch of screens with other Charons popping up.

Why there was a camera stationed at this location is beyond me.
Old 08-05-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 402 Likes on 285 Posts

I feel kind of dirty after watching this. The victims were helpless. For a few minutes, you think it's going to take the traditional turn, and they're going to fight back. That doesn't happen.

It felt real, in the sense that some sick internet trolls would actually pull some shit like this. One of the more subtle, yet painful things to see, is that there were 25k people watching the game.

Maybe I took it more seriously than just being a gross horror movie. But it felt real. It was sick. And I'm internet savvy and could totally see some people on LiveLeak (or wherever) who would be into the game, in real life.

Lesson learned from Shot Caller: Don't drink and drive.

Lesson learned from Dark Web: Don't steal from the lost and found.