Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Greasy Strangler (2016)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the wife and I watched The Greasy Strangler (2016) a couple of nights ago. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. Instantly quotable, completely off-beat, funny as hell - hilarious, bizarre...

The sets are colourful and rich, the music is fantastic. Just wondering if anyone loved it as much as we did? It reminded me of a kind of combination between a David Lynch film, an early 80's horror film by someone like Frank Henenlotter, and a little bit of Napoleon Dynamite thrown in.

I found the two main characters to be interesting and fun, the small supporting cast all to be off-beat and hilarious. For me, it's an instant Cult film, although one I can't recommend to too many people considering it's a bit "out there".
Old 02-16-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: The Greasy Strangler (2016)

A close friend of mine has been bugging me about watching this film for months now. He loves it, but from what I understand, that hasn't been the reaction from everyone he's shown it to. I need to get around to it.
Old 02-16-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
A close friend of mine has been bugging me about watching this film for months now. He loves it, but from what I understand, that hasn't been the reaction from everyone he's shown it to. I need to get around to it.

Likewise -- a friend keeps jockeying the shit out if this movie.
Old 02-16-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We kept avoiding watching this movie - just didn't look that interesting, to be honest. Three minutes in, we were hooked and wondering: What the fuck?!? Ten minutes in we were laughing hysterically and thinking even more: WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?

I really do think this is the kind of movie that you'll either love or hate - there doesn't seem to be any middle-ground. For any of you who might have seen "The ABC's of Death 2", it was directed by the same guy who directed "G is for Grandad" - and there's a similar feel between them. I can't recommend it highly enough, obviously. But it's not a mainstream movie.
Old 02-17-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I saw it it theaters. It wasn't my bag, but I don't begrudge other people who love it. But, I mean really, how many times can you hear someone say "bullshit artist" before it gets tiresome?
Old 02-19-18, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
I saw it it theaters. It wasn't my bag, but I don't begrudge other people who love it. But, I mean really, how many times can you hear someone say "bullshit artist" before it gets tiresome?
Answer: A lot - dunno, found every time they said it or some derivative, funny as hell. But again, as you said - I think it's either your bag or isn't.
Old 02-19-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Just watched the trailer - not quite sure WTF my eyes just saw.
Old 02-19-18, 10:19 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Watched the first 30 minutes or so. It’s pretty funny. I’ll definitely watch the rest this week. Porto!!
“Sir, I could lose my license!!”
Old 02-20-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I had the exact opposite reaction as you Dan. I made it about 30 minutes and just fast forwarded through the rest. Looks like it was a good decision on my part. It wasn't my thing; I sort of get what they are attempting but thought it was very poorly executed.

I often wonder who puts up the money for something like this and thinks it is a good idea. Reminded me of a movie Troma would make.