Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,127 Likes on 2,120 Posts
re: New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think you mostly hit the nail on the head. I believe (and I'm not privy to any inside info, this is just speculation) that KK and Lucasfilm weren't even THINKING about another trilogy BEFORE all the backlash over The Last Jedi. I also think you're right that Rian's announced role as "head of all things Star Wars" is going to get dialed back, although I still think his trilogy will be made.
Jeez... I initially had faith in Kennedy, having liked both TFA and RO, but it's starting to feel like there isn't really any kind of vision for Star Wars at Lucasfilm. They're firing directors right and left, they let Johnson do whatever he wanted to do with TLJ, they've announced two new trilogies...

I just can't believe they made TFA without having any kind of masterplan for the sequel trilogy. It's part eight of a nine part saga, not another fucking Friday the 13th sequel.

It sounds like Lucasfilm is fumbling around blindly like Warners is with the DC films. They need to be lader-focused like Marvel Studios, not handing out carte blanche movies to people they like.
Old 02-07-18, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 308 Posts

I was shocked when I read that they didn't have the sequel trilogy all planned out. What on earth were they thinking? I personally didn't like the Force Awakens, and I haven't even seen the most recent movie. I don't think much of Abrams, and I haven't thought much of what these 2 guys have done with Game of Thrones when they venture off into their own ideas. I also see a lot of criticism going around right now. I'm surprised how fast the sheen has worn off the Disney/Star Wars merger.
Old 02-07-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think you mostly hit the nail on the head. I believe (and I'm not privy to any inside info, this is just speculation) that KK and Lucasfilm weren't even THINKING about another trilogy BEFORE all the backlash over The Last Jedi. I also think you're right that Rian's announced role as "head of all things Star Wars" is going to get dialed back, although I still think his trilogy will be made.
The TLJ backlash + the possibility of a Solo bomb basically forced their hand.

They need fans talking about SW again (instead of bitching) and this will do it.
Old 02-07-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 144 Posts

Backlash from the highest grossing movie of the year?
Old 02-07-18, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Yeah... the one where Mark Hamill portrayed Jake Skywalker.
Old 02-07-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These should turn out amazing as long as George RR Martin is the one writing the source material for them. 2038 can't get here soon enough!
Old 02-07-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Here is the thing that Kennedy understands but many fans don't-

Sequel performance is to a large extent related to how well the previous film was received. A large part of it's B.O. is not a metric of what people thought of it's intrinsic merit.
Old 02-07-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 964 Likes on 680 Posts

Except when a movie is #1 for a month straight and continued to reel in the dough to the tune of 1.3b. That perspective works for Justice League not Star Wars.
Old 02-07-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 892 Likes on 405 Posts

I can't wait to see nudity in a Star Wars movie!!1!
Old 02-07-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Except when a movie is #1 for a month straight and continued to reel in the dough to the tune of 1.3b. That perspective works for Justice League not Star Wars.
Maybe, maybe not. Studios typically set expectations for tentpole titles they release. I have read several accounts that Disney expected $1.5-1.6B from TLJ. If so, then they will want to know why it "underperformed", despite being #1 for the year.

Remember, this is Disney we're talking about. Being #1 isn't enough. They don't want to just win. They want it all.
Old 02-07-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Welp, I gotta be that guy to say he's never seen Game of Thrones (I've read the books) so I have no idea what to expect from these guys.

And now I'm starting to feel this may get oversaturated. It's one thing to have all the books and comics out there, because you can pace yourself on those, but having a bunch of movies feels overwhelming.

I guess I'm hoping they go for something really out there and different than the Skywalker saga.
Old 02-07-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I was shocked when I read that they didn't have the sequel trilogy all planned out. What on earth were they thinking? .
YIKES!
I did not know that.
Old 02-07-18, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

I think Disney is going to have to come to terms with the fact that they are not going to be able to make everyone happy. In fact, trying to do so is about the surest way to make sure nobody is when it comes to a creative endeavor.

If The Last Jedi underperformed at the box office in their eyes, it's because they misread the market (and failed to break through to China, which appears to be something beyond their control with this property).
Old 02-07-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,015 Likes on 2,862 Posts

The worst way to make movies is to try to please & suck up to all fans.

No movie is going to please everyone.

The Last Jedi has made $1.3B worldwide as of right now. Some fans don't like it. So fucking what? Hardly a disaster or box office bomb.

As for this new trilogy with Weiss and Benioff running it, I hope it works out and given that it was announced now, I hope the guys spend the next year or two mapping out the 3 movies before they go into production.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-07-18 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 02:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 262 Posts

Old Republic era would seem perfect for that crew.
Old 02-07-18, 02:50 PM

Received 5,025 Likes on 3,399 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Old Republic era would seem perfect for that crew.
Yup. Knights of the Old Republic is the film I'm waiting for.
Old 02-07-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I can't wait to see nudity in a Star Wars movie!!1!
Theres nudity in ROTJ
Old 02-08-18, 12:23 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Was Jabba nude?
Old 02-08-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 293 Likes on 217 Posts

Oola.
Old 02-08-18, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The worst way to make movies is to try to please & suck up to all fans.

I always said that I would love to see a SW movie that didn't involve a fanboy directing/writing it because they wouldn't get up in any fan service. The beauty of ESB is that there were no fanboys yet, so Kirshner had the freedom to tell his story without fans wanting to see this or that. Guys like JJ Abrams, Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson grew up on the films so there are certain things they think that will be 'cool' to the fans that they may have wanted to see. Perfect example: Flying Leia. That is fan service at its worst.
Old 02-08-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 176 Posts

The Problem With Disney Trying To Turn 'Star Wars' Into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#2c4e1067563d

Pretty spot on IMO.
Old 02-08-18, 04:25 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I always said that I would love to see a SW movie that didn't involve a fanboy directing/writing it because they wouldn't get up in any fan service. The beauty of ESB is that there were no fanboys yet, so Kirshner had the freedom to tell his story without fans wanting to see this or that. Guys like JJ Abrams, Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson grew up on the films so there are certain things they think that will be 'cool' to the fans that they may have wanted to see. Perfect example: Flying Leia. That is fan service at its worst.
Is it really fan service if no one asked for it? I don’t remember anyone asking for Leia to show off her force powers. Rian Johnson completely ignored TFA mystery box nonsense that JJ loves to present, so I’m not sure how TLJ was for any fanboys since it was pretty unpredictable.
Old 02-08-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I really have no idea what you’re talking about. Leia Poppins (which, BTW, has become such a popular meme that it now shows up on iOS autocorrect) was not fan service. Not in any conceivable way. I never heard one, single fan ask for that, and every fan I know thinks it was horrifically bad.

ESB worked because it built on the universe that had been established in the previous movie without contradicting it - and no, Vader’s revelation was not a contradiction, it was a plot twist, and a rather brilliant one. No one, after seeing ESB, thought that scene was horrible. Everyone was talking about it. Who was lying? Vader, the clear villain? Or Obi Wan, the mentor we had all come to trust? And if Vader was telling the truth, what did that mean for Luke, if he was truly the son of the most evil, hated man in the galaxy?

That’s the kind of “fan service” we expect - to be taken to new places and new stories that build on what went before, not ignore it or mock it.

No, that doesn’t mean we need all of the same characters, settings and stories. But since this trilogy is, ostensibly at least, supposed to continue the same saga, certain core characters are kind of expected. And things like bringing back Ackbar, just to dismissively kill him off, are kind of off putting to many fans. And let’s not even get into the “let’s save all the poor animals - who cares about the SLAVES, or the RESISTANCE?” subplot.
Old 03-19-19, 05:09 PM

Received 5,025 Likes on 3,399 Posts

A contact, who has worked on every Disney Star Wars film, has shared some interesting information. According to them, the next Star Wars film could possibly begin filming this Fall, and it will be the first film in the series of films by Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. I am trying to get some confirmation on this information from other places, but as of now I only have one source, so I can only report this as a rumor, so use your pinches of cinnamon as you wish. Because of that simple fact, I can’t say I am as confident in this as I am about the Obi-Wan Kenobi streaming service series report, though the source provided proof they have worked on every Star Wars film since Disney’s acquisition of Lucasfilm and claim they are “95% confident this is accurate.” So let’s simply go over what we were told.

Our source told us they were:

“…approached about working on the next movie this Autumn. It is not the Rian Johnson trilogy, it is the Game of Thrones guys’ first movie, and it is set during the Old Republic, as Disney wants to open up the Star Wars timeline and appeal to a more ‘Game of Thrones‘ style audience.”

This really seems so on-the-nose in terms of what fans have been wishing for from these guys, so I asked for clarity on what else he heard about the project:

“So the timeline is hundreds of years prior to the Skywalkers, so think almost Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings.”

I asked if there was any grasp on something tangible happening for this production yet, or if it was all strictly talk/discussion based, and according to our source, the art departments are doing pre-production work as we speak:

“Filming starts in the Fall and art departments are in design phases now as the script is being finalized. That is all I know but I am 95% confident that this is accurate.”

Again, as of now I can only report this as a rumor because I have not been able to secure a second source on this information. The source has proven to be reliable in the past, and has been involved with all Disney-owned Star Wars films to date. But, with anything, as I like to say because I hate the use of the phrase “grain of salt”, use a pinch of cinnamon with this information. I am doing everything I can to dig and find more information about this, as it would certainly be very exciting news to know the next Star Wars movie will be going into production soon, as we prepare ourselves to say farewell to the Skywalkers when Episode IX hits theaters in nine months.
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/
Old 03-19-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,228 Likes on 956 Posts

Old Republic era could definitely be cool. I haven’t watched a lot of Game of Thrones so the two show runners from that don’t do much for me either way. I know that’s a well made and popular show, but I’m just not a fan personally.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.