Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-06-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

FEBRUARY 6, 2018 12:35PM PT
‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write, Produce New ‘Star Wars’ Series of Films
By Alex Stedman

“Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going to write and produce a new series of “Star Wars” films, Disney announced on Tuesday.

The new series will be separate from the main episodic Skywalker saga that started with “Star Wars: A New Hope,” as well as the Rian Johnson series that was announced last year.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of ‘Game of Thrones’ is complete.”
Old 02-06-18, 02:47 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to Write, Produce New ‘Star Wars’ Series

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films, and there have (thankfully) been no sightings of White Walkers around Lucasfilm.

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.
Old 02-06-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to Write, Produce New ‘Star Wars’ Series

I assume after IX and the next Star Wars Story, the release schedule will be Rian film one year, then Benioff & Weiss film the next year, til both trilogies are complete.
Old 02-06-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
re: New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

my god, how dilute do they want to make the SW brand?? Another series of films beyond what is already planned with Johnson? So will we eventually end up with a release every six months?
Old 02-06-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I look forward to the R2-D2 origin story
Old 02-06-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

The Johnson trilogy isn't going to come out every year. They need something to fill the years in between. The plan is to release at least one Star Wars film per year forever, and there's currently nothing in the pipeline beyond the Johnson trilogy post Episode IX.
Old 02-06-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Ummmmm...I'm okay with this.
Old 02-06-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing there's the KOTOR series people thought RJ's trilogy was gonna be.

So basically here’s how I predict the next 10 years will be:

2019 – Episode IX
2020 – Obi Wan (just announce it already)
2021 – RJ Trilogy movie#1
2022 – D&D movie 1
2023 – Bounty Hunters movie (ugh.)
2024 – RJ Trilogy movie#2
2025 – D&D movie 2
2026 – Adventures of Poe and Finn
2027 – RJ Trilogy movie#3
2028 – D&D movie 2
2029 – Episode X featuring Jedi Master Rey
Old 02-06-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I can't wait to see Emilia Clarke riding on a space dragon breathing electric blaze on hapless Stormtroopers.
Old 02-06-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
I can't wait to see Emilia Clarke riding on a space dragon breathing electric blaze on hapless Stormtroopers.
So it's going to be a spinoff series for her Solo character? Cool.
Old 02-06-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't understand the milking complaints. It a galaxy far far away. The galaxy can be bigger than the Skywalker saga. Different visions that are tied together by the gffa gimmick can go so many places.
Old 02-06-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I don't understand the milking complaints. It a galaxy far far away. The galaxy can be bigger than the Skywalker saga. Different visions that are tied together by the gffa gimmick can go so many places.
The problem, I think, is that all Star Wars series’ are aimed at the same general audience. Whether it’s Johnson’s trilogy, the Skywalker saga, or GOT trilogy, they all target the same demographic. That audience is going to get burned out REALLY fast if a Star Wars movie is released once a year (not to mention the j6p who will be confused with 3 separate stories all playing out at the same time).

Of course, I would have thought that audiences would be burned out on Marvel movies by now as well, so what do I know.
Old 02-06-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I'm guessing there's the KOTOR series people thought RJ's trilogy was gonna be.
Please!

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The problem, I think, is that all Star Wars series’ are aimed at the same general audience. Whether it’s Johnson’s trilogy, the Skywalker saga, or GOT trilogy, they all target the same demographic. That audience is going to get burned out REALLY fast if a Star Wars movie is released once a year (not to mention the j6p who will be confused with 3 separate stories all playing out at the same time).

Of course, I would have thought that audiences would be burned out on Marvel movies by now as well, so what do I know.
I’m perfectly OK with one movie a year as long as the quality doesn’t dip too far. Of course more movies mean more highs and more lows.
Old 02-06-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Millions of nerds around the world have just died from excessive masturbation.
Old 02-06-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I think over at LFL, the shine is off Rian.

I feel like it's 50/50 his set of films ever gets produced now- maybe even 40/60 with news of Benioff and Weiss coming into the fold.

At the very least, I would guess Kennedy is going to wait until the first drafts arrive to see which has a better shot of not being another divisive exercise.

Brownie points to whoever comes up with something that is more likely to resonate with Chinese audiences.

If I were Johnson, I would not be feeling a whole lot of job security at the moment.
Old 02-06-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm one of the biggest Star Wars nerds ever and this is too much for even me to digest. Talk about milking the cow under she's dry heaving.
Old 02-06-18, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Let's walk this back from the nerdgasm for just a second. These two guys have made a brilliant show, there is no denying that... but it's all based on someone else's work. Have they done anything original?
Old 02-06-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd love HBO to make a Star Wars TV show. That would be epic.

Thrawn is canon and most likely wil appear in a movie. I hope they make Mara Jade canon, too. They could just focus on when she worked for Talon and skip the Skywalker romance.
Old 02-06-18, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Let's walk this back from the nerdgasm for just a second. These two guys have made a brilliant show, there is no denying that... but it's all based on someone else's work. Have they done anything original?
Not only that but the quality of the writing has definitely drifted as they moved away from the established source material. The last few seasons of GOT have still been entertaining, but I don't think this is quite a slam dunk.
Old 02-07-18, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I see a lot of people on Twitter are very unhappy with these hires.
Old 02-07-18, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I don't have a problem with milking the franchise as long as they leave the OT story alone at this point. If they start all of these new stories and they don't mess with the OT storyline then it is really up to the viewer on whether they will continue with the franchise. I'm an OT guy so I have pretty much stuck with the Saga movies and R1 or Han Solo, because they still deal with the original story, but I never got into the Clone Wars TV shows, and could care less about these Post Episode 9 Trilogies. I actually think the best thing is to do something completely different that way fans like me can move on, and then they can start fresh. If they keep milking the OT stories then fans like me will hang around and then you will get more divided opinions like TLJ.
Old 02-07-18, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

I feel like it's 50/50 his set of films ever gets produced now- maybe even 40/60 with news of Benioff and Weiss coming into the fold.

At the very least, I would guess Kennedy is going to wait until the first drafts arrive to see which has a better shot of not being another divisive exercise.

Brownie points to whoever comes up with something that is more likely to resonate with Chinese audiences.

If I were Johnson, I would not be feeling a whole lot of job security at the moment.
I think you mostly hit the nail on the head. I believe (and I'm not privy to any inside info, this is just speculation) that KK and Lucasfilm weren't even THINKING about another trilogy BEFORE all the backlash over The Last Jedi. I also think you're right that Rian's announced role as "head of all things Star Wars" is going to get dialed back, although I still think his trilogy will be made.
Old 02-07-18, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

I feel like it's 50/50 his set of films ever gets produced now- maybe even .

It's an interesting point as I'm not sure if Disney is doubling down and supporting their golden boy or will dump him if they feel the backlash was too much.

The guy is constantly doing interviews EVERYDAY defending TLJ (more then Lucas ever did with the PT). Now of course he has more tools of Social Media then Lucas did during the PT days and is younger so he is on Twitter. He even talked last week how he took the criticism to heart and questioned his direction of the movie after the backlash, but he stands by his work.

I take this as damage control to get back with those fans he pissed off for his new trilogy, or just a guy who is going to be defending this movie forever. The irony is he will be just like the fans as both won't be able to let it go.
Old 02-07-18, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I'd like to see a Star Wars film noir. Down on his luck private eye like Sam Spade/Phillip Marlowe. Carries a blaster in shoulder holster. Gets mixed up with underworld of gangsters, seedy bars, etc.
Old 02-07-18, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I think it can be an "National Lampoons" or "American Pie" type of thing but done with a central vision and not just labels slapped on bad movies. Hopefully.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.