Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does logical plotting matter to you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Does logical plotting matter to you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 09:41 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Does logical plotting matter to you?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Well this is what popped into my head as I was watching it during TCM's last showing of it:

Spoiler:
The guy who hires Stewart to follow "Madeline" is married to the heiress of a San Francisco shipping fortune. Stewart would, in all likelihood, have known who she was. Even if he didn't, when she falls to her death from the mission tower, that would have been big news, given her local celebrity, and her picture would have been all over the newspapers. One look at a paper and Stewart would have realized that it wasn't Kim Novak who had died and he would have confronted the guy. Also, how did the guy get his wife up to the top of the mission tower to be thrown off? What San Francisco heiress, with a husband she's already probably suspicious of, would agree to go to a remote Mission with him and then go up all those Goddamn stairs?! Sorry, can't buy it.

This is what happens when you've seen certain films too many times.
Those are your problems? Those are nothing. People have pointed a great many more over the years.

Remember, Gavin Elster went looking for a woman who looked like his wife, then gave her a makeover to look even more like his wife. Elster selected Judy because she was similar to his wife. He takes her to a restaurant as his wife! Within the movie’s world they are twins. Now whether it’s possible to do that in the real world is another issue.

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-26-18 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Well this is what popped into my head as I was watching it during TCM's last showing of it:

Spoiler:
The guy who hires Stewart to follow "Madeline" is married to the heiress of a San Francisco shipping fortune. Stewart would, in all likelihood, have known who she was. Even if he didn't, when she falls to her death from the mission tower, that would have been big news, given her local celebrity, and her picture would have been all over the newspapers. One look at a paper and Stewart would have realized that it wasn't Kim Novak who had died and he would have confronted the guy. Also, how did the guy get his wife up to the top of the mission tower to be thrown off? What San Francisco heiress, with a husband she's already probably suspicious of, would agree to go to a remote Mission with him and then go up all those Goddamn stairs?! Sorry, can't buy it.

This is what happens when you've seen certain films too many times.
Didn't Stewart's character have a mental breakdown after she fell? It's credible he wouldn't have paid attention to the news or much of anything else going on for a while after. If I remember right he's still wandering around a few bricks short of a full load when he runs into her the second time.
Old 01-26-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I have been thinking of this for a while, but I realized that I do not like movies that are terribly plotted.

This was crystallized by TLJ. I dont dislike TLJ because of a lot of the SW specific nits, but because at it's core it is a truly terrible story with ludicrous, illogical, ridiculous and outright dumb plotting.

But I see it a lot these days. Nolan's movies are filled with incredibly dumb and unbelievable plot elements and holes and tons of things that make absolutely no sense whatsover.

It seems a lot of movie goers are OK with ludicrous brain dead plotting as long as it leads to something cool in the story, even if it does not hold up to even minor scrutiny.

And blockbusters are not even the only ones guilty. Even the potential best picture Three Billboards... has some seriously dumb and contrived plot points in that second half (along with some annoyingly cliched characters) yet it is winning scripting awards.

So just wondering if a logical, well thought out and realistic plot is important to peoples enjoyment of movies or if it is just very far back in the list of things that make a movie enjoyable for you.

I am really forgiving on plot holes as long as the story has compelling characters or just transports me completely to another universe.

Although I recently re watched The Game with Michael Douglas, an extremely plot driven movie and that one just drives me nuts because I just can't come up with a way to fill in all the holes and make the story work. There are just too many things that conveniently happened to force the plot down the specific path. It's still fun to imagine that a service like CRS could exist, but in reality, I don't see how it could remotely be possible.
Old 01-26-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Here are three bugs that really get up my ass:

1. Coincidence. (Rey is living on a planet where she's next door to the map to Luke's secret location and the Millennium Falcon. Only works if she has some connection to the OT crew.)
If folks want a little proof that problems like this matter far less to the public at large, or that it really only depends on the subjectivity involved with liking or disliking a movie (or its director), look no further than the very first Star Wars and the incredible amount of coincidence — and lapses in logical thinking — that led to R2-D2 coming under Uncle Owen’s ownership and then into Luke’s with all data intact.

If it absolutely mattered, the Star Wars franchise wouldn’t have even made it off Tattoine. Under more rigid scrutiny, it might not even make it past the Imperial gunners not taking out their escape pod because “no life forms aboard”. Yet here we are, looking ahead to the tenth full-blown movie in this universe and discussing whether logical plotting matters because of The Last Jedi.
Old 01-26-18, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
Didn't Stewart's character have a mental breakdown after she fell? It's credible he wouldn't have paid attention to the news or much of anything else going on for a while after. If I remember right he's still wandering around a few bricks short of a full load when he runs into her the second time.
Yes. Furthermore all the press surrounding the situation would be photos of the wife, who, according to the movie's rules, is an indistinguishable double of Madeline.

Also Ash, it's stated in the film that Gavin Elster had already killed his wife (I believe by breaking her neck) before ever dragging her up to that tower. He was simply throwing an already dead woman off the tower.
Old 01-26-18, 10:35 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

A bit of a non sequitur, but this conversation reminds me of this one day several years ago when I was home sick from work, and, by coincidence, ended up watching Vertigo and That Obscure Object of Desire, back-to-back. The nature of the films and my own feverish condition made the juxtaposition of two films in which an older man obsesses over, in the former, two younger female characters played by the same actress, and, in the latter, a younger female character played by two different actresses, an interesting study in the subjectivity of film.
Old 01-26-18, 12:38 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Uh oh...Johnnysd pulled an Oldboy, as this could be discussed in The Last Jedi thread.

I would hope that the film I pay good money to see was put together by folks who at least attempted to string together a series of events in some type of coherent manner otherwise you end up with a bunch of scenes just smashed up against one another with no understanding of why action X by Captain Bob in one scene fits in with what Lieutenant Morgan just did in the scene that follows. Those types of films can end up not just being so bad that they are good but just plain bad films.

While I was entertained by the "final" Resident Evil film I am glad I ended up seeing it on cable, fun to watch or not it really was just a series of "cool" scenes that were smashed together to get you from the beginning of the film to the end with a startling lack of connective tissue to tie one scene in the film to the other (Stuckmann rightfully had major issues with this in his review), so I would have had this nagging feeling of being entertained yet majorly disappointed if I had paid to see it in theaters.
No I dont mean for this discussion to be about TLJ, it is just what prompted me to start it, since I see it in so many movies now
Old 01-26-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

A good example of a plot hole I let slide is Superman 1978. The whole movie is great, so I tolerate the part where he turns back to the earth at the end. In fact, I tolerate it even more because of he screams, as that is one of the most powerful moments in the movie.
Old 01-26-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, it definitely falls into the "It depends" category. For some movies, too much plot can actually get in the way. It's like riding a roller coaster. I don't want to spend time wondering why the ride designer chose to make it curve this way or that, I just enjoy the ride.
Old 01-26-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
If folks want a little proof that problems like this matter far less to the public at large, or that it really only depends on the subjectivity involved with liking or disliking a movie (or its director), look no further than the very first Star Wars and the incredible amount of coincidence — and lapses in logical thinking — that led to R2-D2 coming under Uncle Owen’s ownership and then into Luke’s with all data intact.

If it absolutely mattered, the Star Wars franchise wouldn’t have even made it off Tattoine. Under more rigid scrutiny, it might not even make it past the Imperial gunners not taking out their escape pod because “no life forms aboard”. Yet here we are, looking ahead to the tenth full-blown movie in this universe and discussing whether logical plotting matters because of The Last Jedi.
You shut your whore mouth! OT has no plot holes. TLJ is full of plot holes.

To put it simply:
OT = good
ST = bad

Reason? "because."
Old 01-26-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
1. Coincidence. (Rey is living on a planet where she's next door to the map to Luke's secret location and the Millennium Falcon. Only works if she has some connection to the OT crew.)
Assuming the Star Wars universe is populated with people who are strong with the force and many/most just never develop or use it, living on a planet that had the Falcon and map to Skywalker seems like it would make such an individual more likely to become pulled into the saga, not less.
Old 01-26-18, 02:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

Also, Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie. Fight me, nerds!
Old 01-26-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

A well-made movie floats me over plot holes. A poorly-made movie drops me into them.

A well-made movie might be one with a tight plot that only has a couple of minor gaps that aren't evident until I think about it carefully. Or it might have a nonsensical plot that is full of gaping holes, but the storytelling gets me past the holes before I can be bothered by them. A good director or a good editor can sneak stuff past me that a bad one can't.

It's all in the presentation.
Old 01-26-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Yes. Furthermore all the press surrounding the situation would be photos of the wife, who, according to the movie's rules, is an indistinguishable double of Madeline.

Also Ash, it's stated in the film that Gavin Elster had already killed his wife (I believe by breaking her neck) before ever dragging her up to that tower. He was simply throwing an already dead woman off the tower.

When I was last watching it, I fell asleep before it got to those parts.

It still sounds utterly ridiculous. If he's got a wife who already looks like Kim Novak, why would he want another one? And why would he then want to kill the first one? And how does a middle-aged man drag a corpse up all those stairs without having a coronary?

Not that plot points like this were ever Hitchcock's strong points. And I'm a fan.
Old 01-26-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Time travel movies are a plot whole and paradox waiting to happen. You can rip them to shreds but BTTF is still very entertaining for me.

Sci-Fi can get away with some large plot holes and coincidences since without them there is no movie.

I dislike horror movies because as someone mentioned, smart people doing really stupid things. People are getting killed so let's call out really loud so the bad guy can hear us. Let's bang and not pay attention. Let's go into that shed with knives and axes and ignore the running car.

Old 01-26-18, 04:04 PM
Banned

It still sounds utterly ridiculous. If he's got a wife who already looks like Kim Novak, why would he want another one? And why would he then want to kill the first one? And how does a middle-aged man drag a corpse up all those stairs without having a coronary?

Not that plot points like this were ever Hitchcock's strong points. And I'm a fan.
Ash, You are killing me man. You need to watch it again without taking an old man nap.

Elster doesn’t want a different wife who looks the same, he doesn’t want a wife at all! He wants his wife dead so he can have her fortune.
Old 01-26-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Pretty much all of these points are explained by the characters in the movie. Judy writes a letter, which she ends up destroying, and we hear her narration as she writes and explains her involvement. Then at the end, when they reach the tower, Scottie explains everything to the viewers when he confronts Judy. It is here when it's confirmed that Gavin had broken Madeleine's neck prior to tossing her. These two scenes pretty much stop the action just to explain all these plot points for you!

Vertigo is probably my all-time favorite movie. I've watched it too many times. I would concede plot holes if you were to point them out, but most of what you've brought up makes me wonder if you've ever actually watched the whole movie.
Old 01-26-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Ash, You are killing me man. You need to watch it again without taking an old man nap.

Elster doesn’t want a different wife who looks the same, he doesn’t want a wife at all! He wants his wife dead so he can have her fortune.

So he does get the fortune after all, right?

Originally Posted by clckworang
Pretty much all of these points are explained by the characters in the movie. Judy writes a letter, which she ends up destroying, and we hear her narration as she writes and explains her involvement. Then at the end, when they reach the tower, Scottie explains everything to the viewers when he confronts Judy. It is here when it's confirmed that Gavin had broken Madeleine's neck prior to tossing her. These two scenes pretty much stop the action just to explain all these plot points for you!

Vertigo is probably my all-time favorite movie. I've watched it too many times. I would concede plot holes if you were to point them out, but most of what you've brought up makes me wonder if you've ever actually watched the whole movie.
I haven't seen the whole thing in quite a few years. I saw it on the big screen a couple of times in the 20th century and it was always at a time when I was quite vulnerable and found the film really disturbing. In fact, the last time I watched it on TCM, don't know how many years ago, I found Stewart's character even more unhinged than I'd previously thought. He's acting out Hitchcock's abusive tendencies. That kind of freaked me out. Plot points tend to get lost amidst all that emotional turbulence. Now, I don't care anymore, so I sit there wondering how the hell he could have...well, see my earlier posts.
Old 01-26-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
A good example of a plot hole I let slide is Superman 1978. The whole movie is great, so I tolerate the part where he turns back to the earth at the end. In fact, I tolerate it even more because of he screams, as that is one of the most powerful moments in the movie.
Same!

Does logical plotting matter to me? Not in movies Movies are fantasy.
Old 01-26-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It's easy for me to just become immersed in the movie. It doesn't take much to fool me. I'm more about the feelings I get than the thoughts I have. Give me a few perfect moments and I'm hooked.
Old 01-28-18, 12:27 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I pretty much need a logical flow to a film to enjoy it. I'm okay with the occasional coincidence, but when a film fails to play by its own rules, the rules that it's set up to work under, I can't stand it.

Case in point for me: Colossal.
Spoiler:
The film has fantastic elements, obviously, but it's grounded in everyday reality. Besides the wonky main conceit that Anne Hathaway is controlling a giant monster in Seoul, everything else is realistic--she has no money, she works for a childhood friend in his bar, etc. However, when she lands back in her hometown, she goes back to a house that seems to have been abandoned, yet the electricity hasn't been disconnected. How does that happen? And at the end, when she flies to Seoul for the final showdown? How does THAT happen? She's flat broke, yet she's able to suddenly buy a ticket to Seoul (which, with no advance purchase, would have cost at least $2,000)? AND she's able to get there in a few hours? Even if she were flying out of LAX, it would probably take a MINIMUM of twelve hours to get to Seoul, yet she seems to land there without crossing the International Date Line.
Logical inconsistencies like these pretty much kill my enjoyment of a film.
Old 01-28-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My daughter flew to S Korea from the east coast and it was 36 hours door to door. That's why we haven't visited. Half the week would be spent traveling.
Old 01-28-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I pretty much need a logical flow to a film to enjoy it. I'm okay with the occasional coincidence, but when a film fails to play by its own rules, the rules that it's set up to work under, I can't stand it.

Case in point for me: Colossal.
Spoiler:
The film has fantastic elements, obviously, but it's grounded in everyday reality. Besides the wonky main conceit that Anne Hathaway is controlling a giant monster in Seoul, everything else is realistic--she has no money, she works for a childhood friend in his bar, etc. However, when she lands back in her hometown, she goes back to a house that seems to have been abandoned, yet the electricity hasn't been disconnected. How does that happen? And at the end, when she flies to Seoul for the final showdown? How does THAT happen? She's flat broke, yet she's able to suddenly buy a ticket to Seoul (which, with no advance purchase, would have cost at least $2,000)? AND she's able to get there in a few hours? Even if she were flying out of LAX, it would probably take a MINIMUM of twelve hours to get to Seoul, yet she seems to land there without crossing the International Date Line.
Logical inconsistencies like these pretty much kill my enjoyment of a film.
Man, if travel time inconsistencies bother you, do NOT watch the last season of Game of Thrones!

As for me on this, I think logical plotting matters the most on intricate who dunnits and very realistic movies. I'm okay with some clunky plot elements if the rest of the movie is entertaining.
Old 01-29-18, 01:41 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99
Man, if travel time inconsistencies bother you, do NOT watch the last season of Game of Thrones!

As for me on this, I think logical plotting matters the most on intricate who dunnits and very realistic movies. I'm okay with some clunky plot elements if the rest of the movie is entertaining.
I find it worse for me on movies that are supposed to be intricate and complex but really arent if you apply any logic like the majority of Nolan's movies. I just cant get past the idiotic plotting in his films.

Cameron on the other hand seems to be pretty masterful at plotting. I think it is part of why he always seems to exceed expectations with his movies. The themes and overall story structure in Avatar was trite and done before, but the science was very solid, and the story was logical and well thought out.

For me they can completely ruin movies like Spielbergs War of the Worlds and AI