Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Japanese Assassin flicks(heavy swordplay)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 09:02 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I thought I'd give asking here a try. I have a question for two different types of films I guess? I'm afraid this'll tick people off because I'm kind of picky. Maybe I'm a bit too obsessed with unrealistic swordplay from Samurai.

The first. I've recently watched a movie called "The Villainess." and I looooved it. I thought it was great, but I also realized it was Korean and it kind of ruined the idea that the characters in it weren't Yakuza.
So what I'm looking for from the first is a movie about an assassin similar to the main character from that movie. Modern but also uses the same style weapons as I'd figure the Yakuza would in their movies. Shirasaya, katana, other bladed weapons.

The second I'm not really searching too hard for atm, but I'm still very interested in. Blade of the Immortal(2017) really stifled my search for samurai movies were the protagonist is an Assassin. Though I'm still very interested in seeing a flick if anyone knows of one. Maybe the lead as Yakuza(that doesn't matter so much)

To give you a better idea of what I'm looking for and what I've already seen

I'm looking for movies similar to: The Villainess, Everly, Blade of the Immortal, 13 Assassins, Rurouni Kenshin

What I've already seen: Everly, Rain Fall, Brutal Tales of Chivalry, Outlaw VIP movies, Lady Snowblood, Kill Bill, Red Peony Gamblers, An Assassin(2011).

I doubt anyone will find anthing, I've pretty much seen them all, if they were available. Anyways, would love to talk about it anyway.
Old 01-13-18, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts
Re: Japanese Assassin flicks(heavy swordplay)

If you want a horror/sci-fi/samurai vibe then Versus is great. It is Japanese and features Tak in the lead. It's also a bit reminiscent of Evil Dead and such. Versus was released in 2000.

The director's stateside films include Midnight Meat Train and No One Lives. I have not seen No One Lives, but MMT is fantastic.
Old 01-14-18, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

The entire six-film series of Lone Wolf and Cub is now out on Blu-ray from Criterion. Any discussion of the samurai-as-assassin theme would have to include those. Two films in this series were re-edited and dubbed into English as SHOGUN ASSASSIN. I prefer the originals myself.

There are a million other samurai/yakuza films from the 1960s and '70s that fit your description. AnimEigo has released some on the U.S. market. The Samurai DVD website offers many more. They're not a legit source, so I won't post the link, but it's the only place to find many of these films in subtitled editions.
Old 01-14-18, 11:09 AM
Cool New Member

Wow, thanks. I actually saw the fight scene from verses a few years back but could never find the full movie.

I enjoyed the Lone Wolf & Cub manga series, I'm sure the movies are great as well. I need to check them out.
Old 01-17-18, 05:17 PM
Cool New Member

More please more. I love Shogun assassin. Tomisaburo reminds me of Shintaro from Zatoichi.
Old 01-17-18, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by cin0
I doubt anyone will find anthing, I've pretty much seen them all, if they were available.
I enjoyed the Lone Wolf & Cub manga series, I'm sure the movies are great as well. I need to check them out.
I'm confused, I thought you've seen them all? And I'm not trying to be smart alec about it, I'm just wondering what you have seen that may be different than what most of us have seen before. I have a couple of friends from Japan, and they absolutely love the Lone Wolf and Cub movies.

This is a bit different, but I enjoyed seeing it when I found it. We actually had this poster come to our movie theater by accident - it was supposed to be Oliver Stone film with Tommy Lee Jones. But this samurai version was a Canadian production, but all in Japanese. There's a voiceover that's in English that's used throughout the film. But I never found a legit copy anywhere, and bought an "official" release on EBay, that was a bootleg. Although it was very well done. But it's a good movie overall, with some pretty good fight scenes.

Old 01-17-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

More please more. I love Shogun assassin. Tomisaburo reminds me of Shintaro from Zatoichi.
He should. They were brothers.
Old 01-17-18, 08:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by E Unit
I'm confused, I thought you've seen them all? And I'm not trying to be smart alec about it, I'm just wondering what you have seen that may be different than what most of us have seen before. I have a couple of friends from Japan, and they absolutely love the Lone Wolf and Cub movies.

This is a bit different, but I enjoyed seeing it when I found it. We actually had this poster come to our movie theater by accident - it was supposed to be Oliver Stone film with Tommy Lee Jones. But this samurai version was a Canadian production, but all in Japanese. There's a voiceover that's in English that's used throughout the film. But I never found a legit copy anywhere, and bought an "official" release on EBay, that was a bootleg. Although it was very well done. But it's a good movie overall, with some pretty good fight scenes.
I like it, witty. I figure it's impossible for me to see em all, but I can try. I've been looking for Samurai Assassin(1965) for years with English Subs, but found nothing.

Thanks though. I'll have to look around for it.
Old 01-17-18, 08:33 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
He should. They were brothers.
That explains a lot. Definitely see the family resemblance.
Old 01-18-18, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

The Man from Nowhere... watch that one when you get a chance.
Old 01-18-18, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts

Sorry but I found Versus kind of overrated. It needed to be trimmed by 15-20 minutes. IMHO.

@ Why So Blu- No One Lives is pretty bad ass. I think you would like it.
Old 01-18-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 01-18-18, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
SWORD OF DOOM
It's just a shame that the intended sequel never happened. The ending of the movie was done as a set up for a sequel.
Old 01-18-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
+100. This is one gorgeously-shot fever dream of savage swordplay.
Old 01-18-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
+100. This is one gorgeously-shot fever dream of savage swordplay.
Oh, yeah. Great movie!
Old 01-18-18, 10:23 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by B5Erik
It's just a shame that the intended sequel never happened. The ending of the movie was done as a set up for a sequel.
I own this one. A sequal would've been great, but it works as is also. He kind of got what he deserved at the end.
Old 01-23-18, 06:35 PM
Cool New Member

Just to keep conversation going ^ this pic is awesome. And so was here animated story from the film.

Also I stumbled upon this Korean flick last week. It made me cry.
Old 01-23-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

Maybe not assassin flicks, but I remember watching the tv shows Abarenbo Shogun and Magistrate Toyama when I was a kid. They had some crazy sword play, always the main hero against 6 - 10 people.
Old 01-24-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Also I stumbled upon this Korean flick last week. It made me cry.[/QUOTE]

I mention this movie Man from Nowhere... one of my favorite movies.

The fight scenes are fantastic and brutal.
Old 01-26-18, 03:59 PM
Cool New Member

Ok, so apparently I need more than 30 posts in order to link and it wont let me post an image now even though I already have....strange.
Old 01-27-18, 06:30 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by csant

Also I stumbled upon this Korean flick last week. It made me cry.
I mention this movie Man from Nowhere... one of my favorite movies.

The fight scenes are fantastic and brutal.[/QUOTE]
*facepalm* I'm a big dummie. I forgot I didn't discover this one. Sometimes I see stuff on the billboards that scroll across my roku screen. Sorry.